Non-Texas weather. The all-encompassing thread

Parliament

5 hours ago, Parliament said:

What time did you lose power and water? And how are your trees doing?

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

Water & Power- never (out utility companies are prepared)

Trees - fine (New England varieties are tougher than the Texas ones)

We bought a full house Generac a few years ago best money we've spent as it seemed we lost power at least once a month even if it was a beautiful summer day. 

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, Underdog said:

We bought a full house Generac a few years ago best money we've spent as it seemed we lost power at least once a month even if it was a beautiful summer day. 

This year we plan to install solar in Vermont. Given how often we have zero use there, we can probably go with a lot lower solar coverage, install batteries and store a ton of energy for power outages (which we haven't had - knock on wood).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That's the joke.  (I rent.)

Good to know.  I was about to get aggressive.

I'm just glad we've had a couple of weeks of mild temps.  Driveway is completely clear.  Roof is mostly clear.  Still a lot of snow on the ground but whatever. Did manage to get a lot of dog shit cleaned up in the thaw.

Denver has generally been glorious. snow every 7-12 days, for like a day or two,  sunshine and 40-60 degrees in between. weeks on end it feels like 😎

usually below freezing every night tho, so snow sticks around on the north side of things. lakes and ponds are still mostly frozen. 

my understanding is that it has actually been colder and more snow than average around here this year. that's a positive bc honestly it's been lovely. 😊

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

Denver has generally been glorious. snow every 7-12 days, for like a day or two,  sunshine and 40-60 degrees in between. weeks on end it feels like 😎

usually below freezing every night tho, so snow sticks around on the north side of things. lakes and ponds are still mostly frozen. 

my understanding is that it has actually been colder and more snow than average around here this year. that's a positive bc honestly it's been lovely. 😊

Yeah SuperBowl Sunday through last Tuesday were shorts and a hoody weather.   Then we drove home in blowing snow until the Texas border last Wednesday..

The beautiful days prior were worth it!!!

Edited by slorch

16 hours ago, mchookem said:

I'd rather have it consistently cold. The bounce around bullshit makes it to where your body never acclimates to the cold. I preferred the upstate NY winters over Denver winters.

2 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

I'd rather have it consistently cold. The bounce around bullshit makes it to where your body never acclimates to the cold. I preferred the upstate NY winters over Denver winters.

So you prefer straight up misery without glimmers of hope/ comfort?

8 minutes ago, slorch said:

Our winters have changed over my life from the upstate New York style to something closer to the Denver style, and I'll say unquestionably that I'll take the upstate NY style every year.

When I was a kid, it would start snowing a week or two after Thanksgiving.  Well before Christmas, we'd have full ground cover of snow, and you could be snowmobiling, skiing, building snow forts, sledding, ice skating, etc.  It would be like that all the way until the end of February, and then by early March the snow would all be gone and you'd be enjoying normal outdoor activities.

Nowadays we might get a weird shot of snow in late October or early November.  It will melt in a few days.  Then we get another shot maybe in December that melts.  Then after Christmas we start getting some legitimate snow.  Once we finally have just enough of base to engage in snow related activities, it warms up for 4 days and melts the snow that's not in shaded areas or piled in ditches and fence lines.  Then the temperature crashes and we get a blizzard.  Which will maybe return us to snow activity levels.  Or maybe it won't.  This cycle repeats on and off for awhile.  Some years, March is good to go for regular outdoor activities, but usually it's a cycle of swinging up into the 60's, crashing in a big wet snow that melts over a week, and repeating.  We're also usually good for a blizzard that occurs in April, usually after we've gotten up into the 70's or 80's.  That never happened when I was growing up.

We don't have the months of straight unbroken cold and snow like we used to, but the constant cycling of snowing, warming up, melting, temps crashing with a big snow is so much less conducive to maintaining outdoor activities than our old Winter starts on December 1st and ends on March 1st clockwork.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 4

13 minutes ago, slorch said:

You get used to the cold. I'd go cut and stack firewood when it was in the teens. I'd go outside to grab firewood off my porch at night in a t-shirt and boxers while it was single digits. The highs in the 50s followed by days in the teens or single digits means you just freeze your ass off all winter.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Schulz2.0 said:

You get used to the cold. I'd go cut and stack firewood when it was in the teens. I'd go outside to grab firewood off my porch at night in a t-shirt and boxers while it was single digits. The highs in the 50s followed by days in the teens or single digits means you just freeze your ass off all winter.

Yup.  You never get in a routine.  It also gets hard to enjoy the "breaks" because you know it's ending quickly.

This meme is a pretty accurate lay out of Midwestern weather (and yesterday was definitely Spring of Deception):

awMQ1DB_700b.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Our winters have changed over my life from the upstate New York style to something closer to the Denver style, and I'll say unquestionably that I'll take the upstate NY style every year.

When I was a kid, it would start snowing a week or two after Thanksgiving.  Well before Christmas, we'd have full ground cover of snow, and you could be snowmobiling, skiing, building snow forts, sledding, ice skating, etc.  It would be like that all the way until the end of February, and then by early March the snow would all be gone and you'd be enjoying normal outdoor activities.

Nowadays we might get a weird shot of snow in late October or early November.  It will melt in a few days.  Then we get another shot maybe in December that melts.  Then after Christmas we start getting some legitimate snow.  Once we finally have just enough of base to engage in snow related activities, it warms up for 4 days and melts the snow that's not in shaded areas or piled in ditches and fence lines.  Then the temperature crashes and we get a blizzard.  Which will maybe return us to snow activity levels.  Or maybe it won't.  This cycle repeats on and off for awhile.  Some years, March is good to go for regular outdoor activities, but usually it's a cycle of swinging up into the 60's, crashing in a big wet snow that melts over a week, and repeating.  We're also usually good for a blizzard that occurs in April, usually after we've gotten up into the 70's or 80's.  That never happened when I was growing up.

We don't have the months of straight unbroken cold and snow like we used to, but the constant cycling of snowing, warming up, melting, temps crashing with a big snow is so much less conducive to maintaining outdoor activities than our old Winter starts on December 1st and ends on March 1st clockwork.

Son lived in NY, albeit just 50 miles up the Hudson from NYC. From November through April it was just dreary gray depression, with regard to the weather.  He hated it. They measured how bad it sucked by weather it was worth the walk to the ‘Student Center’ from the ‘dorms.’  Many times, they just stayed put. 

I’ll gladly take all 4 seasons with a little variety thrown in for good measure.  SB weekend in Denver was fucking great!

19 minutes ago, slorch said:

Son lived in NY, albeit just 50 miles up the Hudson from NYC. From November through April it was just dreary gray depression, with regard to the weather.  He hated it. They measured how bad it sucked by weather it was worth the walk to the ‘Student Center’ from the ‘dorms.’  Many times, they just stayed put. 

I’ll gladly take all 4 seasons with a little variety thrown in for good measure.  SB weekend in Denver was fucking great!

It’s not that grey here.  Especially when it’s cold.

It has begun...

image.thumb.png.b9ad7d1aaa56b52c717f6e84497bf663.png

We’re bringing a team down for girls state hockey tournament. As of now, plans are it’s a go. The idiots at the MSHSL who came up with the decision probably won’t be helping team buses trying to get to the X when they’re stuck. Just my guess.

But the team just got to maple grove and are cruising at 55 so that’s a minor victory. Tomorrow night should be a doozie

1 hour ago, slorch said:

The thing I didn't like about upstate NY (I was 3 hours north of NYC by Saratoga Springs) was the short days in the winter. Sucked working 6 pm to 6 am shifts and not really seeing the sun.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I suggested to my family that I wanted to put a yardstick on the deck in advance of snowmageddon.  I got the rare triple eye roll.

Breathe Out Deep Breath GIF by Progressive

Here in New Orleans, the beads piled up pretty high on Tuesday. It’s rough, but the street crews are out clearing the roads.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The thing I didn't like about upstate NY (I was 3 hours north of NYC by Saratoga Springs) was the short days in the winter. Sucked working 6 pm to 6 am shifts and not really seeing the sun.

That mid December to mid January stretch can be a mother fucker for this reason.  I have a head lamp I use to cross country ski or run after work that time of year.

• Hook 'Em 1

I feel like I must live in a 3rd world country (or maybe Texas) - ice storm started yesterday afternoon, the area around me was in the transition zone, just south of me all the way to the Ohio/Indiana border got it worse; all kinds of power outages there starting late last night. My power didn't go out until around 8:30 this morning......and now the estimated restore time is 6:45pm, on Tuesday 2/28.
FML!

Sure makes for a pretty mozaic of outages though - seems like losing my power late into the outage has put me near the bottom of the list of being restored.

Screenshot-2023-02-23-131439

On 2/21/2023 at 3:09 PM, Al_4_ISU said:

On 2/21/2023 at 3:17 PM, Schulz2.0 said:

explained this way, i can kind of see the logic in preferring a consistent, solid, cold winter, though i obviously can't relate spending my entire life in Texas 😊

but part of my 'pitch' to my husband in persuading him to make this move was that the winters here are NOT like the Ohio winters of his youth. i mean he's quite a bit older and was really reluctant to move to a climate where he was convinced he was going to be buried in snow for weeks/months on end - exactly like y'all are describing lol.

once we got here and our new neighbors/friends all reiterated what i'd been telling him (winters are actually fairly mild, it gets cold but the SUN keeps it pleasant, there's really not as much snow as the mountains or midwest, etc.) and especially now that he's experiencing it first hand, i think he's actually enjoying it. the sunshine in particular makes a HUGE difference and what i think is really distinct from his midwest upbringing - 'bitching' about how bright the sun is is pretty much a daily occurence 😄 (also...HOA for the snow removal for the win! haha)

we were talking about the comparison the other day (while hiking in a state park lol)...here, spring, summer and fall are all awesome. especially summer which is heavenly. you can comfortably be outdoors doing whatever pretty much all those seasons, most every day (although i'm anticipating spring being pretty muddy). winters are generally mild and while there are some extreme days (0* yesterday, we're up to 9* right now haha), they really aren't the norm - overall the winter is not much more extreme than Texas tbh, so you can also spend most of the winter outdoors easily. i'd say the climate is conducive to outdoor activity without being uncomfortable like 90% of the year!

versus...late fall in Texas was generally lovely and by far my favorite time of year, especially on the coast...but i was sick of having to run the A/C while cooking Thanksgiving dinner. and getting mosquito bites trying to put up Christmas lights. and any extreme winter weather is likely to be apocalyptic now as we've seen in recent years. spring tornadoes, fall hurricanes and oppressive heat. for ME - it had become basically unbearable a good 4-5 months of the year. all i wanted to do was go from my air-conditioned house to my air-conditioned car to an air-conditioned wherever. forget hiking or camping or even going to the beach (which i HATE in the summer). forget sitting on a restaurant patio or doing anything other than getting in a pool...which even that ceased being refreshing when the water temp was 90* for two months!

anyways...this first winter has had some novelty (that Christmas spell was unlike anything i've every experienced - it genuinely hurts to inhale once the temp gets below zero!) but overall has been exactly what i hoped for, and i've been able to say 'i told you so!' to my mate 😊

Edited by mchookem
  • Hook 'Em 1

There's a big difference in sunshine in the eastern Midwest vs the western Midwest.  A buddy of mine moved to Indiana for 5 years and bitched about how cloudy it always was.

We had a blizzard yesterday, and today is bright blue skies with an intense sun.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Schulz2.0 said:

The elevation in the Denver area means the UV rays are much stronger. The low humidity also makes the temperature feel much more moderate.

That’s the god’s honest truth.

A few years ago we were climbing a 14er and then had to go straight from the trailhead to DIA.  We stopped to get gas somewhere on the front range, got out of the car and long sleeves and felt comfortable.  Passed a bank and it was 97.  If I was swearing sleeves in 97 degree weather in Iowa, I’d be passing out from fluid loss.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/22/2023 at 2:12 PM, Gil Bang said:

Mt. Baldy is expected to get 100" of snow over the next week. 

I understand the words individually, but the sentence has no meaning that my brain can comprehend. 

Meanwhile - Got a sunburn working on the yard last week. Getting the inflatable pool set up for the kids this weekend. 

• Haha 1