Non-Texas weather. The all-encompassing thread

Parliament

2 hours ago, UT_OB1 said:

I understand the words individually, but the sentence has no meaning that my brain can comprehend. 

Meanwhile - Got a sunburn working on the yard last week. Getting the inflatable pool set up for the kids this weekend. 

I typically only neg blatant trolls but damn if you're not tempting me with your warm weather bragging...

22 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

I feel like I must live in a 3rd world country (or maybe Texas) - ice storm started yesterday afternoon, the area around me was in the transition zone, just south of me all the way to the Ohio/Indiana border got it worse; all kinds of power outages there starting late last night. My power didn't go out until around 8:30 this morning......and now the estimated restore time is 6:45pm, on Tuesday 2/28.
FML!

Sure makes for a pretty mozaic of outages though - seems like losing my power late into the outage has put me near the bottom of the list of being restored.

Screenshot-2023-02-23-131439

Much of that map remains unchanged, but somehow I got lucky and power came back early.

On 2/23/2023 at 1:21 PM, Wally Fairway said:

I feel like I must live in a 3rd world country (or maybe Texas) - ice storm started yesterday afternoon, the area around me was in the transition zone, just south of me all the way to the Ohio/Indiana border got it worse; all kinds of power outages there starting late last night. My power didn't go out until around 8:30 this morning......and now the estimated restore time is 6:45pm, on Tuesday 2/28.
FML!

Sure makes for a pretty mozaic of outages though - seems like losing my power late into the outage has put me near the bottom of the list of being restored.

DTE can suck my cock.

Power out at my place since Wednesday night. Shacked up with our 5 and 3 year old at my dad's, since he's in FL for the winter. Basically loaded a car and a half full of pajamas/clothes, fridge and freezer shit (inc our chest freezer), and random shit. They say it'll be back on by Monday. We'll see.

Everything covered in like a half inch of ice, especially the trees, was gorgeous for a day, though.

Oh, and also, shocked that in all you goons fighting over weather, no one has suggested snowbirding it.

I'm a proud Detroiter/Michigander, but our winters blow now that it doesn't snow as much. Need to be somewhere with a sane winter or enough snow and cold to play snow football, pond hockey, sled, have snowball fights, etc.

But but but... A Midwestern summer is the best if you're on the westside of the eastern time zone. Pitch perfect summer nights with the sun out until near (or sometimes past 10), on a boat with beer and ladies, the fireflies, letting a girl borrow your sweatshirt by the fire on a cool night (you'll probably smash, or at least make out). Nothing beats that.

I often spend time visiting family in Naples, Miami, and Austin during the winter and spring, and it's great, but it gets dark at like 7, give or take. Fantastic, but not the same as a day and night that feels like it'll never end, in a good way.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 2/23/2023 at 12:21 PM, Wally Fairway said:

FML!

They fire the city manager yet?

• 2 weeks later...

That early March storm ended up being a dud. Like a dusting in Boston, but around a foot in Vermont.

So a Nor’easter is hitting tonight/tomorrow. We will see the results. There is a lot of rain right now so the temp has to drop and the water freeze and then the snow had to stick … we’ll see what this results in.  

This is one of the worst winters I can remember.  Not because we're getting record cold and snow - we aren't close on either front - but because it keeps lingering in this limbo of not enough snow to recreate with, but not fully melting either.  Haven't been able to ski or snowmobile since early February, but we're stuck in a constant cycle of mild warming that almost melts everything off, before it crashes down below freezing and we get a couple of inches of snow that sit around for 3-4 days, start melting off as it warms, and then the crash comes again.

Shit or get off the pot.  Christ.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

You already know you're kid is going to be born on a Sunday morning?  Are you a wizard?

Congrats though brutha ;)

I've just heard too many horror stories from my buddies/siblings/cousins about how miserable trying to parent a little kid with a hangover is, lol.

Thanks!

Edited by Al_4_ISU

This is one of the worst winters I can remember.  Not because we're getting record cold and snow - we aren't close on either front - but because it keeps lingering in this limbo of not enough snow to recreate with, but not fully melting either.  Haven't been able to ski or snowmobile since early February, but we're stuck in a constant cycle of mild warming that almost melts everything off, before it crashes down below freezing and we get a couple of inches of snow that sit around for 3-4 days, start melting off as it warms, and then the crash comes again.
Shit or get off the pot.  Christ.

I heard we’re in this cycle for at least a week into April

1 minute ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I heard we’re in this cycle for at least a week into April

Around here the old timers always say "three snows on the robin's back", and if we get a couple inches Thursday, like they're saying, that will be the third snow since the robins returned.  That has often proved accurate.

Or I'm just clinging to hope.

So we woke up to ... rain. It's still raining and is predicted to be until around 11 or so. We are waiting for a temp drop to turn this into snow. We will see.

Annoying - they cancelled schools. That resulted in our 3 year old staying home from day care (the ISD closes, our daycare closes /shrug). I was already working from home, but now the wife and I are juggling our kid (I'm in my 10 AM meeting right now).

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Expecting 10-20” of snow in my area through tomorrow morning, just finished rd1 with snow blower.  It’s that wet heavy shit that’s a bitch to move. 

Heart attack snow. That shit will kill you. The annoying part is that in these conditions it clogs your blower too! I totally am doing this modification when I have a little more time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qraAEDRKA9Y

I've got all the parts just waiting for a warmer time (ie NOT winter) to do it.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

The snow started. Yeah this looks like it’s going to be big. Less than an hour of snow and we have light coverage. The storm hasn’t moved and it looks like it will be here a while. 

54D408EB-B620-4BEE-9D6C-D448FC5F9EBD.thumb.jpeg.9501c093e76dc90949647ba256375281.jpeg

Who the fuck is this guy? He has no idea what he's talking about!

Since I posted this the snow accumulated maybe another 25%, then it stopped accumulating. It's cold and gross, but any hard surface - clear at this point. Ended up being another dud storm.

43 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Who the fuck is this guy? He has no idea what he's talking about!

Since I posted this the snow accumulated maybe another 25%, then it stopped accumulating. It's cold and gross, but any hard surface - clear at this point. Ended up being another dud storm.

My brother in York, ME just texted that it's coming down at a 2"/hr rate.

We're flying out there next Thursday. Get this shit outta the way.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey

Fucked up by not clearing off the back patio and roof after last snow event, went out there this afternoon and quickly threw in the towel for the patio, did get some off the back roof but damn near twisted my knee a few times trudging through the snow.  Two snow powers and one shoveling of dw & front walk, no sidewalk to deal with around here. 

11 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Less, if any difference.  Got a kid on the way, so easing into that whole "I can't be hungover on Sunday AM" thing.

Drink all you want. The kid'll learn fast enough which mornings he should just stay in his room, quietly playing with legos.

"Daddy? I built an airplane. Wanna see it? Oh ok..."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

Fucked up by not clearing off the back patio and roof after last snow event, went out there this afternoon and quickly threw in the towel for the patio, did get some off the back roof but damn near twisted my knee a few times trudging through the snow.  Two snow powers and one shoveling of dw & front walk, no sidewalk to deal with around here. 

What kind of roof rake do you have? If you don't have one of these (or any of the similar varieties) I recommend something like the Avalanche:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkVaslFEj70

I have a different design, but same concept - cut and slide down a teflon sheet. 

12 hours ago, SL Xpress said:

I feel like someone with a monkey’s paw wished for California’s drought to be over. 

Yeah, it's totally fucking up my PCT hike.  I'm still gonna make it happen though.  Gonna have to skip the Sierra and come back, most likely.  Fucking bullshit.

• Hook 'Em 1

giphy.gif

We won’t have a spring. So now it’s whether we see a rapid melt and we flood or shits cold enough to slowly melt through the end of April which is probably ideal before the warmer weather arrives. I know we don’t have 40 degree days in the 10 day forecast so it’ll probably be this way through the first half of April

60 degrees and sunny tomorrow afternoon in Lower Manhattan.  Super excited since my group has an outdoor activity planned.  

Those of you traveling to KC, Missouri on Friday.  50/40 with some AM light rain.  Cold, rainy, and shitty Sunday night though for our Elite 8 game.  Be prepared.  

• 2 weeks later...