Do I have the olds? re: thank you letter/note

markstanco

Half way to a hundy. When I got married and pre-showers I spent a few hours writing thank you letters to people who spent their time looking up what we needed, then buying it, wrapping it, and bringing it to us.

WTF with the current 20s generation on not even trying any longer? Get off my lawn I guess but we make our kids literally write out thank you cards to friends who give them birthday presents.

How hard is it to really write a note to somebody who spends money on you to make your life better?

• Hook 'Em 5

Sitting down and writing a letter.  Even a simple thank you, is a learned skill.

My kids go to summer camp for a month.  No phones, no internet,  write letters home every day.  

They’re taught the gift isn't yours until you properly say thank you.

Some places are still teaching this skill but it is a dying skill.

Edited by CoTex
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Saying thank you is the important part. The preferred delivery method is entirely subjective depending on the on the thanker and the thankee and shouldn't be subject to too much judgement.

Snapped my bro a thanks for that cash he Venmo'd me for my birthday.

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Saying thank you is the important part. The preferred delivery method is entirely subjective depending on the on the thanker and the thankee and shouldn't be subject to too much judgement.

This is the modern proper etiquette approach.

When I got married several years ago it made me realize how bad my handwriting has gotten while writing thank you notes.  I literally don’t write anything beyond signing my name anymore.  Dear Aunt Jenny, thank you for the big ass turkey fryer.  We will thiink of you every time every time we have people over and cook mass quantities of food.  More than a sentence and it starts getting sloppy.  I think my 7 year old niece has better handwriting than I do at this point.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think a large majority still write them for weddings/showers.  I've never written nor received one for a birthday and I am 37.

I got 2 birthday cards in the mail every year.  Then one of my grandmothers died and I got 1. Then the other one died and now I get none.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If I or my kids receive a gift in person then we say thank you.  If a gift is mailed a call or thank you card is sent.

One thank you is enough.

My mom said that the kids need to send thank you cards to for gifts they received in person. 

I told her that for the last 40+ years I haven't received one single thank you card from her for birthday, mothers day or Christmas gifts I've given her.

It's a nice gesture but ultimately I think it's unnecessary and sometimes redundant.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

I think a large majority still write them for weddings/showers.  I've never written nor received one for a birthday and I am 37.

Yep.  Fucking brutal trying to remember who sent us what.

Written correspondence is the way to go for thank-you's.  My handwriting sucks.  I have some executive sized personal stationery that I can run through my printer so that the only handwriting that anybody sees is my scrawl of a signature.

Kinda like this:

President Ronald Reagan Signed Letter 1989: Ronald Reagan: Amazon.com: Books

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

I would never insult someone by subjecting them to reading my handwriting. Thank you call/text/email is the way to go. 

No person would be insulted by receiving a heartfelt thank you letter, congratulatory note, etc, that was completed with poor handwriting skills.   

The forethought and effort included with taking the time to think and write your thoughts far outweigh poor handwriting.  

17 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Agree.  Our grandkids either thank us in person or via text, depending on the circumstances. I'm not sure what they would do if they had to write an old fashioned letter. Our children were good in making them aware about thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, conVINCEd said:

When I got married several years ago it made me realize how bad my handwriting has gotten while writing thank you notes.  I literally don’t write anything beyond signing my name anymore.  Dear Aunt Jenny, thank you for the big ass turkey fryer.  We will thiink of you every time every time we have people over and cook mass quantities of food.  More than a sentence and it starts getting sloppy.  I think my 7 year old niece has better handwriting than I do at this point.

You and me both.  I wont even attempt cursive any longer. 

bad-handwriting.jpg

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, markstanco said:

You and me both.  I wont even attempt cursive any longer. 

bad-handwriting.jpg

Are you one of those artists that have no arms and paints portraits using your foot with the paint brush in between  yourr toes?

Edited by deadshank
clarity
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

This thread proves that there is job security for this guy

l-intro-1612536639.jpg

Screw that guy and those commercials. Everyone of them makes me ragey. Now please excuse me, I see some clouds that are up to no good. 

• Haha 1

We had / have a rule.

Family members, including god parents, in-laws, etc. get a phone call or text to say thank you and acknowledge receipt if it was shipped/mailed.

Other than that, each kid received their own stationary when they started high school and it was mandatory that a handwritten note be sent to anyone not in their peer group - for things like graduation gifts, special events, etc.  They hated it, but have grown accustomed to it and now as adults, they certainly realize the benefits.

My wife and I each write letters as thank-you notes for gifts / acts of service or in recognition of special achievements for anyone outside of our tight circle of friends.

I don't  notice when someone doesn't send me a written letter or thank you, and I certainly don't keep score - but I sure as shit notice when I do get one.

It may be an antiquated practice, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good habit.  There is zero downside and it's a damn good use of 2-3 minutes IMO.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Reagan1k said:

We had / have a rule.

Family members, including god parents, in-laws, etc. get a phone call or text to say thank you and acknowledge receipt if it was shipped/mailed.

Other than that, each kid received their own stationary when they started high school and it was mandatory that a handwritten note be sent to anyone not in their peer group - for things like graduation gifts, special events, etc.  They hated it, but have grown accustomed to it and now as adults, they certainly realize the benefits.

My wife and I each write letters as thank-you notes for gifts / acts of service or in recognition of special achievements for anyone outside of our tight circle of friends.

I don't  notice when someone doesn't send me a written letter or thank you, and I certainly don't keep score - but I sure as shit notice when I do get one.

It may be an antiquated practice, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good habit.  There is zero downside and it's a damn good use of 2-3 minutes IMO.

Screenshot_20220506-142927.png

• Hook 'Em 1