Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount, May 5)

atomheartbevo

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Episode 3 was less than 60 min long, and they covered a LOT of material, and didn't even rush it.  Contrast that with Picard where you'd go 2-3 whole episodes with nothing happening.

Only 2-3? 

• Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

Episode 3 was less than 60 min long, and they covered a LOT of material, and didn't even rush it.  Contrast that with Picard where you'd go 2-3 whole episodes with nothing happening.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Only 2-3? 

Star Trek fans have been through an absolute beating with Discovery and Picard with all of the filler episodes/sub-plots and not enough payoff for the time invested. Hell, I feel like a good editor could have taken Picard S2 and edited it down to about a really solid 4-5 hour mini-series.

At least with SNW, if there is a dud episode, the slate is wiped clean the following week.

Crazy, Paramount+ has been my top streaming channel for the past few weeks  - Strange New Worlds, The Offer, and Halo.

7 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Star Trek fans have been through an absolute beating with Discovery and Picard with all of the filler episodes/sub-plots and not enough payoff for the time invested. Hell, I feel like a good editor could have taken Picard S2 and edited it down to about a really solid 4-5 hour mini-series.

At least with SNW, if there is a dud episode, the slate is wiped clean the following week.

Crazy, Paramount+ has been my top streaming channel for the past few weeks  - Strange New Worlds, The Offer, and Halo.

#frakescut

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Another fantastic episode.   Really thought they’d give us a look at a certain species.  I’m picturing a cross between a Predator and Alien.  

I like that they didn’t. Sometimes the horror we don’t see is the scariest of all 

I also love when they use starships as submarines (this episode and TWOK) - space is 3D, you can get yourself above or below your enemy. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

also love when they use starships as submarines (this episode and TWOK) - space is 3D, you can get yourself above or below your enemy. 

And a nice little nod to TNG’s Disaster where Crusher and La Forge were trapped in the cargo bay, and various parts of the ship being isolated from each other.

56 minutes ago, bolverk said:

Not much action in this episode but loved it anyway. Allowing the audience to settle in and get to know the characters better with a good bit of humor.

Didn’t need action. It was a great episode 

On 5/13/2022 at 8:48 AM, Js1 said:

My wish is it gets bigger and bigger every episode.

No 49 year old man should look that good, but thank God he does. 

I can't tell if it's getting bigger and bigger every episode, but it feels like it sometimes.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:19 PM, Parliament said:

I've said before I might be projecting my hope when I say this show keeps getting better.

5 episodes in, is it maintaining its quality or getting better in your view?

Most ST fans I know, and they are mostly old school ones (TNG/TOS/DS9), are relieved by SNW.

13 hours ago, Js1 said:

Today's episode basically just retold the short story "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas," but they did it well. 

1 hour ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

It was kind of obvious the direction they were going with this one, but it was still well done. 

That was dark as hell, and glad to see they got back to the literary roots of old-school Trek. And Starfleet captains banging aliens.

Pike was given a chance to escape his fate, and turned it down.

Doc may get his daughter out of the transporter.

Six solid episodes in a row.  I’m still shocked. 

8 hours ago, Parliament said:

I wish I had enough hair to do that with.

And when you see Pike in bed with Alora.....Anson Mount has clearly not skipped arm/torso day in many years.

3c6d76fc4169bfd33aca4df58a795a42fb3560ec

A whole lot of Star Trek fans watching that episode 

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF

Edited by atomheartbevo

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

It’s amazing how this show gets better and better every week 

We Can Do It Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

I am seriously amazed at how solid/competent this has been.  I can't think of but a few stretches of any other ST tv shows that were as good as this 7-episode stretch, and I'm not even sure those were as good consecutively.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

So based on the latest episode, the Enterprise has a crew of about 10 and can be taken over completely in about 5 minutes when a handful of raggedy ass pirates beam aboard.

Those pirates are a lot tougher than numerous other groups that have taken over the Enterprise (TOS and TNG)

Nothing will top these kids taking over the Enterprise.

MV5BZDA5ODMwMTAtOTUzMC00OTQ4LTg1ODMtZmEx

MV5BM2JjMmU4M2MtNDU4Ny00MTFjLWJkN2UtN2Q5

• Haha 1

This is a great show, and they're doing a good job of cramming a whole, stand-alone story into one hour.  But this is Surly Horns, so...

Spoiler

The Enterprise is WAY out away from home.  So far away that coms take like 2 days without a "booster relay" or whatever.  (Nice touch btw.)  But the pirates call Spock's girlfriend and she just warps over?  And with no Star Fleet backup?  Kinda lazy there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parliament said:

This is a great show, and they're doing a good job of cramming a whole, stand-alone story into one hour.  But this is Surly Horns, so...

Hide contents

The Enterprise is WAY out away from home.  So far away that coms take like 2 days without a "booster relay" or whatever.  (Nice touch btw.)  But the pirates call Spock's girlfriend and she just warps over?  And with no Star Fleet backup?  Kinda lazy there.

I figured the Vulcan prison was either super remote and isolated itself that it was closer to non-Federation space than Federation HQ was or the pirates have their own comm buoys/network 

7 hours ago, Parliament said:

Hide contents

Said the same thing. I love this show so much but this bothered the hell out of me.

15 hours ago, Js1 said:

I figured the Vulcan prison was either super remote and isolated itself that it was closer to non-Federation space than Federation HQ was or the pirates have their own comm buoys/network 

And maybe the buoys Enterprise was dropping helped, but yeah.  Oh well, if that’s the worst part, we are lucky as hell.

I've never been a fan of these types of episodes, so this one didn't land for me.

The acting was great.  But a big ole meh otherwise.  They can't all be perfect, but 7 of 8 is pretty good so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

Do you like Stargate SG-1?

Yes, I have watched all of SG1, SGA and SGU multiple times.  The whole episode trope where the cast gets to do something goofy and out of character and basically LARP around is, I'm sure, very fun for them and they get to show off range, but these in general don't appeal to me.  Never liked holodeck-focused episodes on other ST shows either. 

Like I said, 7 out of 8 so far is an elite percentage.  But this was the first one where i wanted to FF and generally it could not hold my attention.  No big deal, really.  And the last 2 should be really good, so a 90% excellent episode rating for season 1 is a-ok with me. 

• Hook 'Em 1