Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount, May 5)

atomheartbevo

On 6/18/2022 at 7:44 AM, Parliament said:

It was mentioned upthread that this is on its way to being the best Trek season every.  With respect, I'll say TNG Season 3 was better.  So far anyway.

You misread that. Someone said it was on the way to being the best 1st season of a series, which I think it pretty clearly true. I think the last episode was the weakest with a forgettable 1st 40 minutes but comparing this to tng, ds9, etc 1st seasons and it's no contest. That said DS9 season 6 is best trek season. Come at me bro.

• Hook 'Em 1

That episode was as good as anything put on Trek.  When you only go dark for 1 episide of the season, it has a lot more punch.

Spoiler

They successfully borrowed from FOUR sci fi/horror movies:

Alien: Trapped on a ship with something you don't know.  Chest-bursting.

Alien 3: Make yourself bait.

Predator: That clicking noise the Gorn make.

The Thing: Trapped somewhere cold.

That felt like a season finale.  But we have one episode left, right?

21 minutes ago, Parliament said:

That episode was as good as anything put on Trek.  When you only go dark for 1 episide of the season, it has a lot more punch.

Hide contents

They successfully borrowed from FOUR sci fi/horror movies:

Alien: Trapped on a ship with something you don't know.  Chest-bursting.

Alien 3: Make yourself bait.

Predator: That clicking noise the Gorn make.

The Thing: Trapped somewhere cold.

Uno mas

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

This is the strongest first season of any Star Trek series, and I’d definitely put it in the top three of all seasons of Star Trek.  

22 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Correct and they are possibly ending on a heavy note.  See below

Edited by atomheartbevo

6 hours ago, Parliament said:

Romulans?

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They didn’t know what the Romulans looked like until Balance of Terror.

Could be Gorn though.

Sorry, meant that Romulans could match up, given that they did voice only in the trailer.  I assume they end on a cliff hanger so we won’t see who it is, although we’d recognize a Gorn ship.

12 hours ago, Parliament said:

Romulans?

Spoiler

Watched a deep dive on the trailer with zoom-ins.  You can see the Neutral Zone marked on one of the Enterprise displays, and in some of the ship fighting, you can see one or more Bird of Preys

Star Trek Kirk GIF

Also it’s a bit of a flash forward   Chapel is in a Starfleet uniform and Uhura is a Lieutenant  

Edited by atomheartbevo

My take on the Gorn:

Spoiler

They were genetically engineered by...somebody.

1) Don't show up in life scans.

2) Infected victims are hard to diagnose.

3) Impenatrable to telepathy.

4) They're very mean.

Numbers 1 and 2 are very specific deterents to the technology commonly used.  That's a heck of a coincidence.

These guys might end up as the best bad guys since the Gem Hadar.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2022 at 9:49 PM, MissingInAction said:

God damn when they first see the Romulans and the camera pans through everyone on the deck looking back at spock then spock raising his eyebrow just slayed me. Classic.

Directly lifted from TOS. Go back and watch that episode. Sound effects, camera angle, music, dialogue, all taken straight from that episode. It's my all time favorite TOS episode. 

They did a great job. Best episode of the  season. Great opening season. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DeepEastTexas said:

Directly lifted from TOS. Go back and watch that episode. Sound effects, camera angle, music, dialogue, all taken straight from that episode. It's my all time favorite TOS episode. 

They did a great job. Best episode of the  season. Great opening season. 

Yeah, for me, they crushed it in 9/10 episodes.  90% success rate in this day and age for a series that doesn't have an overarching plot is *chef's kiss*

28 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah, for me, they crushed it in 9/10 episodes.  90% success rate in this day and age for a series that doesn't have an overarching plot is *chef's kiss*

Especially when this is a part of a massive 55 year-old franchise, that’s using some beloved characters from literally the pilot episode over 50 years ago, and said franchise just fucked up a legacy series, and stumbled around with another series.

Maybe somebody was actually paying attention to what was pissing off people about Picard and Discovery.

Have you considered therapy to discuss your trauma from Picard, Discovery and JJ Abrams?  No offense, but you love to bring them up (especially Abrams) unprompted. 

Let it go, my friend.  We get it, they aren't everyone's cup of tea. 

12 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Have you considered therapy to discuss your trauma from Picard, Discovery and JJ Abrams?  No offense, but you love to bring them up (especially Abrams) unprompted. 

On the back of my tombstone it will say “Benedict Cumberbatch should have been Gary Mitchell”.  

I’m just amazed.  This is the best first season of any Trek after TOS, and could be a top three all-time season for many.  We had episodes where the stakes were low, and overall the crew got along and there wasn’t interpersonal drama created just to have drama.  I liked all of the episodes, including the Renfest episode

Im hoping for S2, they maintain the episodic nature.  They can throw in some Bajorian stuff (since they knew about Bajor.), more Gorn, more Romulan stuff while sticking to the episodic nature and playing to its strengths.  

And I’m impressed with how Kirk was handled.  That could have gone horribly wrong.

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Yeah Kirk was handled well.  The actor could use a little more ham to really channel Shatner.  But probably takes some time, I like him. 

I was less impressed with Kirk's portrayal. I don't need the actor to ham it up, but I also don't want him to act like an auditor/accountant type. I just didn't get any charismatic feel from him. Very dry and low key performance.  Just not a big enough personality for a captain of a starship.  This guy doesn't strike me as someone who can travel back in time and pull whales out of the ocean and save the world. He strikes me as someone who could tell me how much fishing for whales would cost. 

A larger sample size would probably help, maybe I just haven't seen enough to get a good feel.  He's coming back for season 2, so we'll see how it goes. 

They might not want someone who overshadows the current star/captain of the Enterprise. Probably smart. 

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

Let it go, my friend.  We get it, they aren't everyone's cup of tea. 

Totally true.  And also totally true those 3 shit on not just Star Trek in general, but the characters we love.  Especially Picard.  He has mommy issues?  Fuck you.

• Hook 'Em 1

August 25 for Lower Decks season 3.  7 week Trek break after that marathon PRODIGY-DISCO-PICARD-SNW rotation we went on for like 8.5 months straight or something. Was October 21 the last week we didn’t have a new Trek? 

Edited by Js1