Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (Paramount, May 5)

atomheartbevo

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I made the mistake of thinking I had to slog through Discovery before watching this so it took me awhile. This show is everything Discovery was not; I hated every character and every stupid plotline in that show but this is the best Trek in a long time and as good as some of the best TNG so far, also Nurse Chapel would bang.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’ve seen a lot of mixed criticism of Pelia, but I’m fascinated by her. She seems kooky, her accent is hilarious and is from a brand new species. Plus Carol Kane and a ridiculous accent makes sense 

On 6/29/2023 at 11:49 PM, ultimaton said:

Man this one had a lot in it. Romulans! Temporal Cold War! KAAAAAAHHHHHHNNNN!!!!!!

Friend texted this and it summed it up:  "City on the Edge of Forever?"

I don't know how they are doing this, but SNW seasons 1 and 2 have just been amazing.  These could be the best back-to-back seasons of any Star Trek series ever.

• Hook 'Em 1

A lot of good hair this ep.  Wasn't my favorite of the season, but solid.  Some Pike in action scenes + finally some characterization for Ortegas.   

Did not know Melissa Navia lost her partner to cancer prior to shooting season 2.  

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

Episode 1 picks off where Season 1 left off.  I'm a TNG nerd but I don't know how you can say this isn't the superior series.

The writing has been pretty solid, the editing extremely solid - I'm just not finding a lot of "filler" stuff that could have been completely left off.  Yeah, yeah, I know, they aren't having to stretch a network-broadcast show to an hour with ads, so they can skip padding it out.  Same with filler episodes - none, unlike older series where you felt like they were just trying to hit whatever the number was for that season.

Talking to my high school buddies that watched TNG when it came out like I did, and then watched DS9, Voyager, Enterprise, everybody is like "this is quality top to bottom".

And those shows all had some good seasons and some excellent arcs that spanned multiple episodes, but they had some shit mixed in, either within an episode, or even an entire episode that existed only to fill out the season.  Hell, TNG had 178 episodes, and all but one season had 26 episodes (and that short season was 22, due to a writer's strike).

Still weird given that it had a bunch of Disco crew involved.

TNG had some unique, well-written characters, but SNW has (almost) no misses.  For that matter they one-upped themselves with Pelia.  Hemmer was awesome and we miss him territory, but there's SO much to do with Pelia.  

And L'an.  She's mine.  Hands off, Boys.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/13/2023 at 2:48 PM, Js1 said:

That was some top notch acting by Ethan Peck. And always nice to see Mia Kirshner back as Amanda Grayson. Way better than Wynona in the Kelvinverse. 

Would smash Kirshner. Another excellent episode.

Rewatched a few episodes today, and I decided SNW is the best Trek series yet.  Each series had a different intent.  The OG was a cheeky space pirate show that also engaged the social issues of the day through a sci fi filter that let them talk about racism, sexism, etc in ways they otherwise wouldn't be allowed.  TNG tackled higher-minded issues in a grown up way.  Discovery was snotty preachy shark.  And SNW is OG + TNG with better acting, better characters and modern production.

If you look at what each show was/is and compare it to how well it lived up to its intent, SNW is the best.  Fight me.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m sick of the Discovery hate! If it wasn’t for Disco, you wouldn’t have your precious SNW.

I think it’ll be seen in a much different light in 10-20 years. Kinda like how people are starting to appreciate Enterprise now 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I think it’ll be seen in a much different light in 10-20 years. Kinda like how people are starting to appreciate Enterprise now 

A lot of Trekkies I know liked Enterprise, especially the Temporal Wars, but then that series finale left a bad taste in the mouth for a lot of people.  Enterprise was an odd duck though, and had some Star Trek fatigue working against it.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

I’m sick of the Discovery hate! If it wasn’t for Disco, you wouldn’t have your precious SNW.

How do you think it'll be perceived in 10-20 years?

Discovery turned into a self help show. 

I like to call it This is Our Discovery.

All the ridiculous fawning relationships, hugging each other through life or death situations, and the smiling bullshit makes me want to barf.

Fuck that show and keep everything about it off this thread abut the greatest show available right now.

Enjoy it cause who knows how long the upcoming strike will last.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Discovery turned into a self help show. 

I like to call it This is Our Discovery.

All the ridiculous fawning relationships, hugging each other through life or death situations, and the smiling bullshit makes me want to barf.

You’re forgetting that way too often, crew members were squabbling with one another and working against one another.  Not to get fanboyish, but with the major ships of the Federation, you expect something like Strange nNew Worlds - highly competent crews that work together and that don’t act like they are ready to strangle one another. Disco also has the problem of working in too many major plot lines for one ship though, and I’ll take that to the Disco thread if anybody wants to discuss.  It did give us SNW and I appreciate that.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

Fuck that show and keep everything about it off this thread abut the greatest show available right now.

Old Man Good Job GIF

• Hook 'Em 1