Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

Anyone know of any? They used to be in every small town right by the highway -- basically a burger joint with maybe a picnic table or two but no real seating. Mom and pops. I guess Sonic killed most of them off.

There are a couple in Houston still, like Someburger and Poppa Burger, which barely qualifies because it has so many picnic tables.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Anyone know of any? They used to be in every small town right by the highway -- basically a burger joint with maybe a picnic table or two but no real seating. Mom and pops. I guess Sonic killed most of them off.

There are a couple in Houston still, like Someburger and Poppa Burger, which barely qualifies because it has so many picnic tables.

sandys.jpg

Right here in River City.

And of course, Top Notch, although they do have some indoor seating.  Same with Holly's in Post:

holly4.png

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 5

Herd's in Jacksboro:

https://burgaholic.com/post/81075551993/herds-hamburgers

Burger Bar in Cleburne:

https://thetexasbucketlist.com/2017/12/the-texas-bucket-list-the-burger-bar-in-cleburne/

Jesse's in Mineral Wells (it has seating though):

https://www.facebook.com/jessesdrivein/

Cupp's Drive-In, Waco:

https://www.facebook.com/cuppsburgers/

All of these are pretty spectacular.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Top Notch Longhorn Special + onion rings and a chocolate malted.

(is what I used to get regularly until I hit age 40 and my metabolism completely stopped working)

Now you get the 1971 Weight Watcher Special?

Way back in the pre-marriage/kids days, I used to live in Heath, TX and my neighbors who were originally from the Rockwall area introduced me to Boots Burger.  It’s this tiny place in the middle of a neighborhood just northeast of the Rockwall town square that you could only pick up a bag of burgers.  It was like stepping back in a time warp into the 1950/1960s era.  Just looked it up on Google maps and I’m happy to see that it looks like Boots is still serving fantastic, greasy burgers in a paper sack:04C59BB2-8A84-46CB-A873-6480ECD8679D.thumb.jpeg.953edef4de326b195fe0935ff5d1ca5e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Drool 7

23 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

KN in Cuero. You can get a burger with cheese enchiladas.

I was telling someone the other day I wanted a burger with cheese enchiladas on it. Looks like I'm going for a drive. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

6 hours ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Bubbas burger Shack which is basically under an  59 overpass

Bubba's Texas Burger Shack - Space City Happy Hour

6 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Never been, but drive by it quite frequently.  Bubba's Burger Shack.

spacer.png

Didn't they used to do free beer when the train went by?  Ate there a couple of times in the 90s.

My favorite burger ever (original location just north of 610 on Westheimer.  Not a stand, but a tiny place in a strip center (menu with the 281 area code is from a later iteration I wish I'd known about).

FullSizeRender_ylxaeo.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

also got champ burger in east end (maybe too many picnic tables) and someburger in heights (no picnic tables)

1 hour ago, Deej said:

I was telling someone the other day I wanted a burger with cheese enchiladas on it. Looks like I'm going for a drive. 

A burger with a cheese enchilada sawed in half and laid side by side on top of the patty would get my attention real quickly.

9 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

A burger with a cheese enchilada sawed in half and laid side by side on top of the patty would get my attention real quickly.

I'm thinking no veggies on this one. Bread, meat, cheese, enchilada. 

Really get the enchilada flavor doing some heavy work. Hell might be a good idea to throw an egg on there and make a sort of chilaquile burger.

• Drool 2

3 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Really get the enchilada flavor doing some heavy work. Hell might be a good idea to throw an egg on there and make a sort of chilaquile burger.

It’s always a good idea to throw an egg on there.  I think I might go with a ranchero sauce and toss some onions and jalapeños on top.

4 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

Other than onions, of course.  Obviously, you meant to include onions, just as they should be included on top of any cheese enchilada.