Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

They all have some inside seating but I'll throw out:
Dairy Bar in Lake Jackson/Clute
Dairy Mart in Sweeny
Dairy Treat in Yoakum

The OG Dairy Treat that was on the corner definitely qualified. They also had a Dolly Parton and KISS pinball machines to play while you waited. You could stomp roaches instead if you didn’t have quarters.
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Johnny Sack said:

Never been, but drive by it quite frequently.  Bubba's Burger Shack.

It’s worth visiting.

Also, for the Granbury/Ft. Worth people. What’s that stand/trailer in Cresson right outside the track?   It’s killer too.  

Anybody ever been to the Clown Burger in Haltom City? My dad took me to that place a few times when I was a kid, over 30 years ago. Looks like it may have closed and reopened. The stand itself was a classic burger joint. All i remember was a white bag soaked in grease that bled through and the cooks were yelling at each other the whole time. 

52 Haltom City Tx ideas | haltom city, old fort, fort worth texas

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Chico's tacos in El Paso actually makes a pretty damn good burger, and it pretty much fits the bill (most locations have some indoor seating, but it's a taco/burger "stand" for sure).

o.jpg

o.jpg

And a pro move is to get the burger and fries....and a side order of 3 tacos.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, po elvis said:

Those aren’t tacos at Chico’s. They are an abomination to Mexican food. Don’t know about the burgers though.

They aren't tacos.  They are.....Chico's tacos, fried concoctions swimming in a liquidy red sauce with lots of shredded cheese.  They are an EP thing, and really only an EP thing, and I think they're awesome.  They are literally their own species of food, neither tacos nor flautas nor enchiladas.  And again, they are a great side with their burgers.

6 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean they basically look like a more Tex-Mex version of San Diego rolled tacos. 

Well, don't want to take the threadjack much further sideways, but many folks don't realize that El Paso is its own thing.  Lotta similarities to NM Mexican food, not as many similarities to classic Tex-Mex as you'd expect, and it doesn't surprise me to see hints of the farther west stretches of the border.  Hell, my wife was frustrated a couple of years ago when she was there to be an agitator at Tornillo, she couldn't find breakfast tacos.  She was in El Paso, and to get breakfast tacos (she wanted to feed a bunch of their group one morning) anywhere near where she was, she literally had to go to a Taco Cabana.  None of the nearby local places had them.

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, don't want to take the threadjack much further sideways, but many folks don't realize that El Paso is its own thing.  Lotta similarities to NM Mexican food, not as many similarities to classic Tex-Mex as you'd expect, and it doesn't surprise me to see hints of the farther west stretches of the border.  Hell, my wife was frustrated a couple of years ago when she was there to be an agitator at Tornillo, she couldn't find breakfast tacos.  She was in El Paso, and to get breakfast tacos (she wanted to feed a bunch of their group one morning) anywhere near where she was, she literally had to go to a Taco Cabana.  None of the nearby local places had them.

Okay but I'm saying conceptually they aren't just an EP thing. The flavors - like the red sauce - might be uniquely El Pasoan but putting rolled, fried corn tortillas with a meat filling in a dish then covering it with toppings isn't something only done in El Paso. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Okay but I'm saying conceptually they aren't just an EP thing. The flavors - like the red sauce - might be uniquely El Pasoan but putting rolled, fried corn tortillas with a meat filling in a dish then covering it with toppings isn't something only done in El Paso. 

Definitely correct.  That permutation is uniquely El Paso, but the general concept is rolled taco/flauta, which appears throughout the mexican food continuum.

Honestly, a shitload of mexican restaurants make a DAMNED good burger.  Joe's Bakery here in Austin used to, but they took it off the menu.  COVID made them trim things down, and it is a loss.

40 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Chico's tacos in El Paso actually makes a pretty damn good burger, and it pretty much fits the bill (most locations have some indoor seating, but it's a taco/burger "stand" for sure).

o.jpg

o.jpg

And a pro move is to get the burger and fries....and a side order of 3 tacos.

Love me some Crinkle cut fries. 

rolled tacos covered in sauce/cheese is basically the whole menu at 100% taquito in houston, which claims to be inspired by mexico city. 

anyway, about half the hot dog places in chicago are basically tiny sheds with little or no indoor space, maybe a scattering of tables outside.  and many have burgers.  redhot ranch, for example (haven't been, but going on my list for next time i visit):

image.png.a1647532948d238d61a97f07c1f62cf3.png

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Yep, on message boards all over San Antonio there’s alway several posts by El Paso transplants looking for “El Paso style Tex Mex”.  Of course, SA being SA, it is a severe point of friction.

‘Reminds me a lot of the fights between Deep South BBQ people vs the Central Tex Q cultists.

Very entertaining shit.

Anybody ever been to the Clown Burger in Haltom City? My dad took me to that place a few times when I was a kid, over 30 years ago. Looks like it may have closed and reopened. The stand itself was a classic burger joint. All i remember was a white bag soaked in grease that bled through and the cooks were yelling at each other the whole time. 

a75c12a37361a57bc63b878c3f8ae012.jpg

It moved to a strip center down the street. It’s still very good burger stand food.

Those aren’t tacos at Chico’s. They are an abomination to Mexican food. Don’t know about the burgers though.

Sorry but the tacos now looked at as EP tacos or west Texas truck stop tacos are definitely Mexican food. This is how tacos were initially made, fill the tortillas held together with a toothpick, skillet fry them, remove, pull out the toothpick and stuff with cheese lettuce tomatoes. This is the way they were in my youth at most Mexican joints and they are delicious. Stephan Pyles learned to cook them when he was a kid.

Jack in the Box tacos are a representation of them.

Crunchy corn tacos were started by Mexicans living in California.

If you drive up the 15 from San Diego toward Riverside there there's a place called Nessy Burger in the middle of nowhere at an exit in Fallbrook that gas quite the follow. Haven't been down there in years, but thanks to this thread Im happy see that they are still going strong.

2d2fff87bdce98101205f9449e36e817.jpg

5 hours ago, ftf82 said:

If you've never had an Oklahoma fried onion burger you're missing out. J&W Grill in Chickasha knocks it out of the park. There's an interesting Depression-era story about onion burgers too.

j-w-grill.jpg

j-w-grill burger.jpg

it has oklahoma in the title. You sir, can go fuck yourself. I will never it eat, not for free. Not for Kate Uptons breast milk. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1