Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

3 minutes ago, Atxracer said:

Checked it out today for the first time and did not disappoint.  

Friday starting around 11am-2pm or so is when the cars show up.  I try to roll out there on Fridays when I am not shackled to the conference calls. 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:51 PM, Covri said:

Kelly’s burger stand in Lucas has a damn good burger. Comes with a bag of chips and a can of coke. 

Google maps shot below 

FFAD33CC-7AE9-402B-969D-2BA86E1FE49A.thumb.jpeg.6c369649dc6255d2017b33f5c35642e1.jpeg

On 5/6/2022 at 7:08 PM, Deej said:

They should plant a tree or two around those tables. 

Drove by the other day they have a full setup with big umbrellas now. Should go back I haven't stopped there since around 2019

16 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Friday starting around 11am-2pm or so is when the cars show up.  I try to roll out there on Fridays when I am not shackled to the conference calls. 

30 seconds from my office.  i try to stop by t least once a month.

• Like 1

Health Camp is not a "stand", but it is an institution of you're ever in Waco and I just saw this news that it's for sale for the 1st time in decades. Hope it survives.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/history/health-camp-building-hits-market-for-2-3-million-owners-hope-to-find-buyer-to/article_3e085508-d0a7-11ec-9be9-97e05af0bfe9.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Waco_Tribune-Herald

On 5/5/2022 at 6:21 PM, dcbc said:

My favorite burger ever (original location just north of 610 on Westheimer.  Not a stand, but a tiny place in a strip center (menu with the 281 area code is from a later iteration I wish I'd known about).

FullSizeRender_ylxaeo.jpg

Wound up becoming dildo emporium Zone D'Erotica, embarrassing the mighty Galleria for decades.

• Haha 1

On 5/5/2022 at 11:12 AM, CHIEF said:

Herd's in Jacksboro:

https://burgaholic.com/post/81075551993/herds-hamburgers

Burger Bar in Cleburne:

https://thetexasbucketlist.com/2017/12/the-texas-bucket-list-the-burger-bar-in-cleburne/

Jesse's in Mineral Wells (it has seating though):

https://www.facebook.com/jessesdrivein/

Cupp's Drive-In, Waco:

https://www.facebook.com/cuppsburgers/

All of these are pretty spectacular.

CHIEF

Chief, You missed Morris Neals in the burg of Cleburne

3 hours ago, Rholl said:

Chief, You missed Morris Neals in the burg of Cleburne

Morris Neal’s doesn’t have outside seating, or a “eat in your car” area. The only reason I didn’t mention it. But both of my mothers brothers and I eat there after crappie fishing at Lake Pat. It’s as good as Burger Bar. Every time I eat there, every Lawdog in town is there. I guess they know a good burger, the ones on this site certainly do. 
Barrera’s Mexican food also has a great burger, but not a stand. 

CHIEF

Edited by CHIEF
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Health Camp is not a "stand", but it is an institution of you're ever in Waco and I just saw this news that it's for sale for the 1st time in decades. Hope it survives.

https://wacotrib.com/news/local/history/health-camp-building-hits-market-for-2-3-million-owners-hope-to-find-buyer-to/article_3e085508-d0a7-11ec-9be9-97e05af0bfe9.html?utm_campaign=snd-autopilot&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_Waco_Tribune-Herald

Hide contents

Good, maybe they'll start making edible burgers again like they did in the 90s.

5 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Wound up becoming dildo emporium Zone D'Erotica, embarrassing the mighty Galleria for decades.

Ah, Houston zoning. 

[CSB]

Looks like its "Fizz Nail Lounge" now.  Back then, that whole retail property lot was owned by a guy named Carl Gauci, who also owned and operated "The Beauty Pavilion."  He and his wife were German or Austrian or some such.  Nice folks.  He sold all that property back in the 90s and basically went on endless winter, snow skiing with his wife and their friends.  My then girlfriend (now wife) ran into them at a party in Park City in 1999 and, for some reason, I still have the picture of all of us.  I'm glad he didn't live long enough to see who the new tenants were, but for as much as he made off that deal, I doubt he would have cared all that much.

[/CSB]

Edited by dcbc

21 hours ago, DDD Dad said:

Reminds me of this place where we used to stop on the way to Indian Guide campouts at Sky Ranch:

super-sandwiches.jpg

photo0jpg.jpg

image.jpeg.c27fd0e6c4ba5ab6ba8cbec99205faba.jpeg

I'll be driving by Dairy Palace on the way home from Ft. Worth today.  I may have to make a stop.

Damn, didn't even realize that there were competing burger threads. Just going to cross post until they merge the threads.

Lee's Almost by the Lake, near the entrance to Paleface on Pacebend Rd. and Bee Creek Rd. Note, no sesame seeds on the bun. 

o.jpg

1-E5-A0263-0310-4-C95-AE88-96109-CC319-A

1-F05-E087-E235-47-DF-9405-3-BB0-F460-CA

This thread should just be merged with the texas burger thread because most of y’all are disregarding the OP and throwing in every good burger place. Which is fine, because who doesn’t love a great burger? Fascists and commies. That’s who.

So taking y’all’s lead, the best in Houston WAS Stanton’s when they were still a neighborhood convenience store, but when the patriarch passed away and they decided to go full on restaurant, they lost what made them special. Sparkle is/was great. Haven’t been in a minute. But any burger stand that has Kool-Aide on the menu is ok with me. Having said that, in Houston I guess Champ-Burger meets the OP’s request.

Chico's tacos in El Paso actually makes a pretty damn good burger, and it pretty much fits the bill (most locations have some indoor seating, but it's a taco/burger "stand" for sure).
o.jpg
o.jpg
And a pro move is to get the burger and fries....and a side order of 3 tacos.

Make sure and head to the west side and go to the Charcoaler. Double green chili burger.

7c5927002e743fe2173b4d70da4d2386.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/6/2022 at 5:40 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

If you drive up the 15 from San Diego toward Riverside there there's a place called Nessy Burger in the middle of nowhere at an exit in Fallbrook that gas quite the follow. Haven't been down there in years, but thanks to this thread Im happy see that they are still going strong.

2d2fff87bdce98101205f9449e36e817.jpg

Used to drive down 76 to the 15 for years when SIL lived in Murrieta. Wasn't aware of this place, however maybe a quarter mile away, in the parking lot of the gas station near the interstate exit was a literal kiosk selling burgers for years.  Every time we passed it was packed with customers.  Never got a chance to try it cause we were always heading to a family meal event.  Saw it no longer exists unfortunately.

• Like 1

Studying this thread hard AF. Cool to see KN in Cuero getting some due. Grew up on their burrito plates, fish burgers and frosty mugged root beers. Their burgers were good, but not the main attraction. 20 years ago they were using some brisket trim from one of the local BBQ places in their burgers, but that was back when my mom's cousin and his wife still owned it. Believe they've sold since then but it's still cookin'.

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

Checking in from the Burger Bar in Cleburn.  Solid rec, @CHIEF.  Perfect day for it, too, with stunning weather here in North Texas.49E89C42-068D-4517-9513-7ABFB68BD121.thumb.jpeg.2be2c02ddfc583d56316e0ff951751cc.jpegCB98C521-B5B0-4C05-9758-ED2F3EFF5461.thumb.jpeg.67b49c0aa28f0f60f452ec8e07bcf550.jpeg103BE164-AA0B-44EC-B9B1-65B26BD40618.thumb.jpeg.398ad4738489b23be0df55db3301c78d.jpeg31546FC6-1020-4D0B-BE63-5AD12B285B58.thumb.jpeg.d3ff7b638ce3170ab71c62fa3525976e.jpeg

Nice move with the salet under the patty and cheese on top of the patty, completely melted.

Between this thread and the Texas BBQ thread, eating well on the road has never been better or easier.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Checking in from the Burger Bar in Cleburn.  Solid rec, @CHIEF.  Perfect day for it, too, with stunning weather here in North Texas.49E89C42-068D-4517-9513-7ABFB68BD121.thumb.jpeg.2be2c02ddfc583d56316e0ff951751cc.jpegCB98C521-B5B0-4C05-9758-ED2F3EFF5461.thumb.jpeg.67b49c0aa28f0f60f452ec8e07bcf550.jpeg103BE164-AA0B-44EC-B9B1-65B26BD40618.thumb.jpeg.398ad4738489b23be0df55db3301c78d.jpeg31546FC6-1020-4D0B-BE63-5AD12B285B58.thumb.jpeg.d3ff7b638ce3170ab71c62fa3525976e.jpeg

Nice move with the salet under the patty and cheese on top of the patty, completely melted.

Between this thread and the Texas BBQ thread, eating well on the road has never been better or easier.

Salet under patty should be standard. I don't understand why it's not.  It helps trap the grease and (somewhat) prevents the bottom bun from getting soggy and dissolving. I also find it helpful to set the burger down upside down after taking bites, as the top bun is always sturdier than the bottom bun. And it's a more natural motion when picking the burger back up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This thread should just be merged with the texas burger thread because most of y’all are disregarding the OP and throwing in every good burger place. Which is fine, because who doesn’t love a great burger? Fascists and commies. That’s who.

So taking y’all’s lead, the best in Houston WAS Stanton’s when they were still a neighborhood convenience store, but when the patriarch passed away and they decided to go full on restaurant, they lost what made them special. Sparkle is/was great. Haven’t been in a minute. But any burger stand that has Kool-Aide on the menu is ok with me. Having said that, in Houston I guess Champ-Burger meets the OP’s request.

Have you ever had the ground fajita meat burger at Ninfa's?  Might be my favorite burger in Houston.

There used to be a hamburger place in La Grange, I remember from the 70s, that looked kinda like a Dairy Queen but was something else that sounded sorta German or Jewish.  Wasn’t Braums either but I can’t in my old age remember it anymore.

I remember the Bon Ton and the Cottonwood Inn but not that place.  It was next door to a grocery store.  

FIf you’re ever near New Haven, CT area, can’t recommend Louis Lunch enough, Top5 burger place for me... 
image.thumb.jpeg.ffc5452e77248e9ec1149306689c18bc.jpeg
image.jpeg.991ba1f3a2428999aeede574d7442527.jpeg
Ted’s is just up the highway a bit from New Haven, another good burger place... 
image.jpeg.cf6ebed2e51d4f3bae7d627d37bac4cb.jpeg
image.thumb.jpeg.bd461a64488d25a9d88597825546171b.jpeg
Steamed gooey goodness. 

We are down in Westport but heading to New Haven in a couple of weeks and might check one or both of these out.

And back when I was on the other coast, I spent many and afternoon and Horns game at Big Deans by the Santa Monica pier.
75f87576a0a6e1ed08ac89ba7e3a2b08.jpg

On 5/18/2022 at 10:06 PM, Anastasis said:

Damn, didn't even realize that there were competing burger threads. Just going to cross post until they merge the threads.

We should just merge them with the guitar pedal thread.  The resulting moans would be intense.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Currently sitting inside Loui's Lunch in New Haven, CT. They claim to be the inventor of the hamburger. They serve it on toast, and cook the patties in these old time sideways ovens. Not the best burger I've ever had, still pretty good and worth the stop if you ever travel through this way.

20220607_140825.jpg20220607_141109.jpg20220607_141327.jpg20220607_141852.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

Just left Austin heading to an overnight waypoint in Amarillo. Anywhere along the route I should not pass up?

Dude….Holly’s drive in, in Post. World class burgers and rings.

And not a burger, but Allen family style in Sweetwater is a treasure. But they’re only open till 2, you probably won’t make it.

I mean, there’s also a dozen Allsups along the way. Burritos rule.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Just left Austin heading to an overnight waypoint in Amarillo. Anywhere along the route I should not pass up?

Sundays are fucked. Come back on 281 from Wichita Falls on the way back and hit Herd's in Jacksboro, early, during the week. It's worth altering plans.

CHIEF

Well, if we are gonna bring up Germany…

Burgermeister in Berlin does a great burger and fries. I always hit up the one at the Schlesiisches Tor u-bahn stop. It is actually under the elevated tracks. There is no “inside.”  You order from the stand then eat at a stand-up table that you will likely share with drunk strangers. The liquor store across the street will provide your beverage. The stand is on a little traffic island so it gets pretty packed. Great food in my favorite part of Berlin. It’s open damn-near all night. 

C0B27BF9-2ACD-4867-9056-2F766FD3E38D.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2

On 6/19/2022 at 12:02 AM, DougO said:

Get that yankeeass wonderbread bullshit outta here. 

That "Yankeass wonderbread bullshit" is literally from the spot that claims to be the first restaurant to serve Hamburgers in the United States. It's also why they use those ancient as fuck steam machines to cook the burgers.

It may not be your jam, but if they're literally the first place to do something, I think they've earned the leeway to keep doing it based upon their tradition. 

• Hook 'Em 1