Old Fashioned Hamburger Stands

That "Yankeass wonderbread bullshit" is literally from the spot that claims to be the first restaurant to serve Hamburgers in the United States. It's also why they use those ancient as fuck steam machines to cook the burgers.
It may not be your jam, but if they're literally the first place to do something, I think they've earned the leeway to keep doing it based upon their tradition. 

I’ve seen Louis Lunch on numerous TV shows and want to try it. I have no issue with burgers on toast, which is how they were initially everywhere. Then they used various rolls. I mean the Mrs Bairds sesame bun isn’t any different than white bread and it is the best conveyance for a burger.

I’m not a fan of brioche buns or Kaiser rolls or ciabatta or English muffins used as buns.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I’ve seen Louis Lunch on numerous TV shows and want to try it. I have no issue with burgers on toast, which is how they were initially everywhere. Then they used various rolls. I mean the Mrs Bairds sesame bun isn’t any different than white bread and it is the best conveyance for a burger.

I’m not a fan of brioche buns or Kaiser rolls or ciabatta or English muffins used as buns.

English Muffins?
no-nope.gif

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

That "Yankeass wonderbread bullshit" is literally from the spot that claims to be the first restaurant to serve Hamburgers in the United States. It's also why they use those ancient as fuck steam machines to cook the burgers.

It may not be your jam, but if they're literally the first place to do something, I think they've earned the leeway to keep doing it based upon their tradition. 

There's a lot of dispute about the first hamburger. But either way, there was a first Applebee's somewhere, too. 

4 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

aggy claims to have invented the phrase "12th Man". Just because you claim it, doesn't mean it's true. 

7 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

Brioche buns kick ass. Those other3 shouldn’t be used for burgers anyways. 

• Hook 'Em 1

C14B5316-DE51-4038-B802-E69B2589034E.jpeg.39f23c840795d5f322bbb4936b984605.jpeg

if you ever find yourself a little north of Dallas in Richardson, this place is very old school and makes a fine burger.  I haven’t been in a while because there is normally a line out the door at lunch and I typically don’t have time for that.

• Hook 'Em 4

Brioche buns kick ass. Those other3 shouldn’t be used for burgers anyways. 

Yeah a decent brioche bun is a good change up sometimes. Also @SydneyCarton there’s a burger at Nancy’s Hustle that uses English Muffins. It works and is an incredible cheeseburger. But that isn’t a normal English muffin.

You can’t beat a Weck roll for a burger bun. It’s basically a Kaiser roll crusted with sea salt and caraway seeds. Sadly, the store that had the bakery that made these closed down several years ago. (Such a great market, I miss them so much.) I should probably call around to shops in German Village to see if I can find another source. Better yet I should learn to make them myself. But seriously, they rule.

AA2B75DE-0694-465E-BD45-983D3BBABF81.thumb.jpeg.a0061b82a26344e29bc3d70a8d743717.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You can’t beat a Weck roll for a burger bun. It’s basically a Kaiser roll crusted with sea salt and caraway seeds. Sadly, the store that had the bakery that made these closed down several years ago. (Such a great market, I miss them so much.) I should probably call around to shops in German Village to see if I can find another source. Better yet I should learn to make them myself. But seriously, they rule.

AA2B75DE-0694-465E-BD45-983D3BBABF81.thumb.jpeg.a0061b82a26344e29bc3d70a8d743717.jpeg

I am miffed that I didn't get a weck sammich when BWW still served them, at least around here.

This place on Westfield(a fairly shitty area of SA) has pretty great burgers. It’s also Puro SA with its selection of fruit cups, raspas, and agua frescas. Frozen Dreams!

7F151846-FFEB-4B34-A27A-86FD5E53C77D.jpeg

55FE3C96-DEF4-4D14-AD1E-1434173E818E.jpeg

Edited by SuckitKevin
Forgot to put the name. Can hardly see it in the pic.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

On 6/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, VABuckeye said:

Off topic but goddamn what I would do to have a local A&W Rootbeer stand.

On 6/24/2022 at 4:17 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

There’s one in South Austin off Ben White.   Doubles up with a long John silvers.

Yeah. But it's at the same intersection as a Dan's and a Whataburger. Ain't nobody eating at A&W when you've got Dan's across the street. 

• Hook 'Em 4

Was in L.A. last week and ate lunch at the Original Tommy's on Beverly Blvd./N. Rampart, just northwest of DTLA. 76 years in business and still cranking out great burgers and fries. No seats, just places to stand and watch traffic/people. Supposedly the place to go after Dodger games too.  

Corpus Christi

Home of the original Whataburger-I ate there as a kid when it was a stand and Dobson was working the grill

Snapka's-mentioned previously, still drive in service

Pick's-RIP, one on Ayres across from Butterkrust Bakery, and downtown drive in.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 8:27 AM, Underdog said:

Yes, please, go on…

there is a Star Wars themed burger joint in Killeen that does this.   you can order honey buns, french toast, and grilled cheese sandwiches as your buns for your burger.   yes, the calories are as epic as you can imagine 

I went today to Pecan Grove In the Fredericksburg area and it’s the epitome of what this thread is all about. Delicious burgers and cold beers, listening to a damn good local band under the live oak trees and the occasional rumble of a group of Harleys pulling in.  

58A0B3DF-35C7-4DD4-A46D-D405E41A4258.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1