any architects/engineers here?

J/K @Onboard 2.0  I'm considering putting a window in my game room, where it's pretty dark.  Standard 2x4, drywall, stucco construction.   I'm not sure how wide I want to go.

What is the point where header sizes upsize from 4x4 to 4x6 to 4x8.  I've been out of this shit for too long, and I don't remember. I'm thinking that 4x6 should be adequate for anything up to 48", but I'm not 100% sure.  This wall is on the ground floor of a two-story house, but this side is single story...nothing above it. 

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Just googled

image.jpeg.5e686d2310d10d4c7da367b49ed84cfe.jpeg

Nothing against you, but this is dumb.  A double 2x4 is 3 inches wide.  That doesn't go so well on top of a 3 1/2 inch stud.  I'll go with a 4x4 in that situation.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

Nothing against you, but this is dumb.  A double 2x4 is 3 inches wide.  That doesn't go so well on top of a 3 1/2 inch stud.  I'll go with a 4x4 in that situation.

the methodology is sound, but the results are suspect. a double 2x12 header will span a lot more than 7'. weird graphic