I've decided to dig a hole

CleverNickname

I’m not sure what’s going on here, but this thread has potential?  

Have you thought about renting a big ass back hoe?  Kid would have fun running that.

What about dynamite to clear out the hole?  That would be quick and entertaining for everyone (make sure to video). 

• Hook 'Em 2

I think the thread subject pretty much answers most questions asked. 

In retrospect I should have a least rented a mini backhoe and dug down thw first 4 ft. But now it will be all manual labor. It may be a other 2 weeks before I get back out and finish mucking out my topsoil. Then the hard work begins. 

I have purchased metal brackets to make a platform out of 4x4s. I figure it will be nice to make a roof over the hole, and eventually mount a winch. 

13 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

I think the thread subject pretty much answers most questions asked. 

In retrospect I should have a least rented a mini backhoe and dug down thw first 4 ft. But now it will be all manual labor. It may be a other 2 weeks before I get back out and finish mucking out my topsoil. Then the hard work begins. 

I have purchased metal brackets to make a platform out of 4x4s. I figure it will be nice to make a roof over the hole, and eventually mount a winch. 

I don't know shit about digging holes, but I do enjoy mounting a wench. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, CleverNickname said:

What's stopping you?

At the moment, lack of a pick axe. I've got a couple shovels, but should probably procure a pick axe or something to break up the dirt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Armybrat said:

If you decide you no longer want to keep that hole, my helper can fill it in for you....

14A8C91E-DBCB-4620-8F03-5FB4CAF6E92B.jpeg

I say this with complete sincerety: any Surly (or minor wards you can kidnap) are welcome to come to my next hole digging session. No pay. No benefits. No OSHA, no MSHA oversight. I have water, but it's untreated rain water and last time I had to clear a dead mouse from the tank screen. Lots of angry fire ants. But there is Hole.

• Like 1

Dirt holes is easy.  Hitting round rock limestone when you're only dick deep takes a commitment.  I broke a tooth from gritting my teeth while hammering a spike to break that shit out.  That was an expensive hole.

• Like 1

Now that the topic of climbing through drainage tunnels has come up, I’ll tell this short story of childhood stupidity. 

This little public park had horizontal  concrete drainage pipes where you could see a little bit of light from one end to the other.  We were small, probably 6yo. 

Yep, we went for it, and made it!

We found another tunnel and decided to go for it, but we couldn’t see light. 

I went first and learned that it narrowed in diameter about 30 feet into it. Stuck!  We all had to back up like a damn human centipede.  

No teachers or moms had any idea where we were.  When we got out we acted like nothing happened.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, davidg said:

Horizontal section, you really can see light at the end of the tunnel

Need to work on line and grade there my friend.

That's definitely some old pipe, they haven't made 4 foot joints in half a century at least. Probably non reinforced too, that line is in really good shape for its age.

Is your pops still with us?