I've decided to dig a hole

CleverNickname

1 hour ago, Poolflood said:

What are you going to name the pool company?  

shit sorry too soon.  i'll kick myself in the nuts.

She is reconnecting the pool heater line and has to dig a hole to find the pipes.  Quite sexy, I’m serious. She said I’m going to go dig a hole I said wanna have sex later. Don’t get me started on those pool assholes it’ll ruin the mood.  Bodies might be buried in this hole.  But a short lived tagalong to clever’s epic hole. This one will be done by tomorrow. 

4 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

When did you guys get married??  

Common law for now. Probably an unceremonious ceremony this spring. 

Edited by troph
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, troph said:

She is reconnecting the pool heater line and has to dig a hole to find the pipes.  Quite sexy, I’m serious. She said I’m going to go dig a hole I said wanna have sex later. Don’t get me started on those pool assholes it’ll ruin the mood.  Bodies might be buried in this hole.  But a short lived tagalong to clever’s epic hole. This one will be done by tomorrow. 

Won’t be unceremonious if you invite all of us. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, troph said:

6 minutes ago, Kennythetiger said:

Won’t be unceremonious if you invite all of us. 

pics because we're all dirty bastards.... have some fucking fun.... pun intended

B99B0259-6623-451E-92C9-0A1855290917.jpeg

that was the last smile and the end of the hole digging expedition. Clever can return to king of the ditch. 

she found the pipes, we cut them she couldn’t really reconnect them easily she almost got them done but they shifted enough to make it just a little bit tricky. So a plumber is coming tomorrow.  In addition, cross posting (I should but won’t) to the pool thread the fucking contractor came out (for the 12th time) to fix something and walked right by a hole with pipes laying all around, and the pool in maintenance mode, didn’t knock on the door just turned the pool on (never looked behind him to see the “yard” flooding. Fucking morons. Hole collapsed when filled with water, has to be half redug. Clever’s walls might not be a bad idea. When the water comes the hole  collapses unless you build a wall around it.  Hot tub should be on tomorrow evening, kids are with my ex, so someone should be getting laid.

Edited by troph

9 hours ago, troph said:

B99B0259-6623-451E-92C9-0A1855290917.jpeg

that was the last smile and the end of the hole digging expedition. Clever can return to king of the ditch. 

she found the pipes, we cut them she couldn’t really reconnect them easily she almost got them done but they shifted enough to make it just a little bit tricky. So a plumber is coming tomorrow.  In addition, cross posting (I should but won’t) to the pool thread the fucking contractor came out (for the 12th time) to fix something and walked right by a hole with pipes laying all around, and the pool in maintenance mode, didn’t knock on the door just turned the pool on (never looked behind him to see the “yard” flooding. Fucking morons. Hole collapsed when filled with water, has to be half redug. Clever’s walls might not be a bad idea. When the water comes the hole  collapses unless you build a wall around it.  Hot tub should be on tomorrow evening, kids are with my ex, so someone should be getting laid.

I’m sending this to your special lady friend. Please tell her it’s my go-to for manual labor. 

• Hook 'Em 1

The boy accompanied me for a rare hole overnighter. First two shots are after first 7 buckets Friday evening (prior to fite pit poking). Then worked a little more this morning. Home by noon.20230318_081304.thumb.jpg.1fd13febe196e3026674d07de2b9437e.jpg

20230318_084612.thumb.jpg.8b7c683790f29fc1aec8c7fab7e52140.jpg

20230318_100531.thumb.jpg.a179f3e252278bfbfba61b0bbd7cdd55.jpg

it's now about 7'4" on the one side, maybe 5 ft from where I am sitting. Hoping to dig another few inches on the deep side and then knock out the shelf on the one side. Then I'll need the ladder to get out.

20230318_101601.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

On 3/18/2023 at 12:57 PM, CleverNickname said:

The boy accompanied me for a rare hole overnighter. First two shots are after first 7 buckets Friday evening (prior to fite pit poking). Then worked a little more this morning. Home by noon.20230318_081304.thumb.jpg.1fd13febe196e3026674d07de2b9437e.jpg

20230318_084612.thumb.jpg.8b7c683790f29fc1aec8c7fab7e52140.jpg

20230318_100531.thumb.jpg.a179f3e252278bfbfba61b0bbd7cdd55.jpg

it's now about 7'4" on the one side, maybe 5 ft from where I am sitting. Hoping to dig another few inches on the deep side and then knock out the shelf on the one side. Then I'll need the ladder to get out.

20230318_101601.jpg

Awkward Krieger GIF by Archer

On 3/30/2023 at 9:14 AM, conVINCEd said:

What is our target depth here?

Not sure. But the book recommends overburden depth 2 to 2.5x the height of any horizontal tunnel. So if I wanted a tunnel 6'4" I should go down 22 ft. But probably any side tunnel would be more like 4.5' tall (knee height basically). So right now my thought is 16' of wood walls, then dig to 20 or 22, and then build up concrete from the bottom up. I could then take out lowest set in 4' segments as I raise inside wall in lifts. But really, that's all a future me problem. Next goal is down about 9' total (need space as i bolt in threaded rod) and get second set of 4' in. Then the next 4' and so on. I've already purchased the next 4 5/8 rods, nuts, and washers. Need to cut and drill the 4x6, but I have time yet. It's getting deep enough I need to find a metal bucket to use a winch with. Carrying 5 gallon buckets of dirt up the ladder is starting to suck.

• Hook 'Em 1

After Mass, hauled ass to move to mass. The plywood rested in top of the bolts, to I was afraid critters could slither in. Made a little 1x2 frame around, and screwed and glued it down. 

20230409_154225.thumb.jpg.3bd1ab89e79333973f03d2bdc002a579.jpg

20230409_155422.thumb.jpg.5d91b71d58c067c0d46e840716300649.jpg

Not sure how much rain it got, but the hole was very dry. Sides and pond liner seem to be working out.

Shallow side now about 3 ft deep. Nearly level with the other side although it has a little trench so the 8 ft ladder fits in the hole such that I can just plop the plywood on top.

20230409_155508.thumb.jpg.27b199cc93c2285fe0c79136fa8e23ea.jpg

Cut a little shelf about 36.5". Makes it handy to move stuff. Hole now pretty much too deep to life bucket over my head and push to the side. This is basically how I leave things before closing it up.

20230409_155752.thumb.jpg.e5569f1290d0f26bc2ac7ff748fef6b1.jpg

6 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

So how do you know when you're done?

I don't know. The deeper I get, the more complicated it gets logistically. The neighbors well is 40' last I heard, so at some point there I will find a hard cap. But I'm hoping to get like 20' or 24'. For now I am just motivated to do one 4' section at a time. And then when i get as deep as feels right, I'll go lateral (if I can figure out a good way to shore up).

BTW -  anyone Surly in Austin have kitty litter buckets? I find they are a good size with sturdy handles. Mine are starting to wear out. And free is good. PM and I'll pick them up, if I can.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

So you are digging the masterpiece for no reason other you wanted to? Have you considered some products from our new sponsor instead of manual labor?

El Chapo’s guys would have already had the tunnel under the prison.  He’s on the Andy Dufrense time table.

• Hook 'Em 1