Texas Southern @ Texas - 6:30 on LHN

Horny Bull

12 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Good to see Todd having a great season since he came back. Dude has earned it. Be the senior leader we need, dude 

With how much we strike out his ability to work a count up and battle at the plate is big. I mean helping that is him being like 32 but still. 

The defense could almost play in the MLB right now, but the offense is a huge red flag for Faltine. I’m sure he’s still a top 10-15 round pick with his ability to hit for power but man I would be raising red flags all over the place if I was a scout. A dude striking out in 50% of his college AB’s isn’t making it past AA no matter how good the glove is.

Edited by Hookem2147

7 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

The defense could almost play in the MLB right now, but the offense is a huge red flag for Faltine. I’m sure he’s still a top 10-15 round pick with his ability to hit for power but man I would be raising red flags all over the place if I was a scout. A dude striking out in 50% of his college AB’s isn’t making it past AA.

We get it dude you don't like Faltine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I called him a first round pick last year if he stayed on the same trend line.

So you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Got it. Not sure how he goes from first round pick to 15th rounder after taking a jump at the plate this season. 

He's 1/2 with a double and run scored today, btw. 

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Got it. Not sure how he goes from first round pick to 15th rounder after taking a jump at the plate this season. 

He's 1/2 with a double and run scored today, btw. 

Look man, I’m all for healthy arguments and I cheer for the university of Texas as hard as anyone.

He is an elite defensive SS who hit .250 last year with a 33% strikeout rate. He took a huge leap in the power department this year but is now striking out at a 45% clip. He has not taken a “jump at the plate this season”. He is hitting .203 in conference play this year compared to .275 in 2021. Overall he has not improved as we all had hoped. Only 5 of his 14 homers have come in conference play. He did not make the jump many of us expected. I can acknowledge that and point out his claws while still cheering for him to succeed. 

He is one of the best defensive SS in college baseball and if his overall offensive game would have taken another step he would have easily been a coveted draft pick this year very, very early. That hasn’t happened. Just because I state that doesn’t mean I “hate” him. 

And guys can take a free fall on draft boards based on performance. That’s how draft boards work. I continue to root for him and this teams and nothing changes that. This is a message board where we can share opinions. Just because I criticize a guy doesn’t mean I “hate” him.

Edited by Hookem2147

13 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Look man, I’m all for healthy arguments and I cheer for the university of Texas as hard as anyone.

He is an elite defensive SS who hit .250 last year with a 33% strikeout rate. He took a huge leap in the power department this year but is now striking out at a 45% clip. He has not taken a “jump at the plate this season”. He is hitting .203 in conference play this year compared to .275 in 2021. Overall he has not improved as we all had hoped. Only 5 of his 14 homers have come in conference play. He did not make the jump many of us expected. I can acknowledge that and point out his claws while still cheering for him to succeed. 

He is one of the best defensive SS in college baseball and if his overall offensive game would have taken another step he would have easily been a coveted draft pick this year very, very early. That hasn’t happened. Just because I state that doesn’t mean I “hate” him. 

And guys can take a free fall on draft boards based on performance. That’s how draft boards work. I continue to root for him and this teams and nothing changes that.

You're welcome to cite something besides batting average or strikeout rate. Two things that the MLB doesn't particularly give a shit about. Trey has taken a productivity jump at the plate this season and that's inarguable however you'd like to slice it. If you want to single out his batting average in 40% of the games he's played this season then okay. It's not like Texas doesn't play solid teams out of conference. We also have yet to play our last series against one of the shittier teams in the conference.

No one is letting Trey slip to the 10th round. I don't care how much he strikes out or what kind of slump he's in. You can discount him because of a rough batting stretch but MLB scouts aren't going to. 

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

No one is letting Trey slip to the 10th round.

I literally said he is likely still a top 10-15 round pick. We are violently agreeing on that. What I said is his performance the last 2 months or so is a red flag. If you don’t agree with that then okay. 

I know mlb teams have shifted more towards not caring as much about strikeouts, but if you don’t think his 45% strikeout rate against college arms will be brought up in draft rooms you are kidding yourself.

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I literally said he is likely still a top 10-15 round pick. We are violently agreeing on that. What I said is his performance the last 2 months or so is a red flag. If you don’t agree with that then okay. 

I know mlb teams have shifted more towards not caring as much about strikeouts, but if you don’t think his 45% strikeout rate against college arms will be brought up in draft rooms you are kidding yourself.

You're incapable of sharing my perspective on this and vice versa so I'm not going to further this debate. I'd try and appreciate Trey while he's here because whoever we have at short next year (barring a really big name transfer) will be worse both at the plate and in the field.

I'll bitch about his game by game performance right there with the best of them - just like I will for everyone else on the team - but in no way shape or form am I going to complain about what he's given this program this season. And this season ain't over yet.

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You're incapable of sharing my perspective on this and vice versa so I'm not going to further this debate. I'd try and appreciate Trey while he's here because whoever we have at short next year (barring a really big name transfer) will be worse both at the plate and in the field.

I'll bitch about his game by game performance right there with the best of them - just like I will for everyone else on the team - but in no way shape or form am I going to complain about what he's given this program this season. And this season ain't over yet.

Fair enough. He has given this program elite defense and some very nice pop, and I will be very grateful for that and the wins it has helped contribute to just as you said. And also like you said, I can do all that while acknowledging the game by game performances and stating facts that are pretty obvious to everyone which is he has been one of the weakest hitters on the team for about the last 2 months.