Favorite food movies or scenes

Texzilla58

Here are some of mine that trigger cravings, a need to cook, or go get an order.

Goodfellas: the prison scene making red gravy

Godfather: Clemenza showing Michael how to cook red gravy

Chef: making that grilled cheese

Chocolate: the feast

Pulp Fiction: the meal at Jack Rabbit Slims

Julie and Julia: Julia eating sole in Paris

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

The Hook scene, goodfellas prison gravy are both great suggestions. One of my favorites is “Big Night” where they’re making the Timpano dish. 

I like the omelette scene at the end, just a simple scene and shot. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Oh fuck me, how did it forget. All time favorite restaurant scene is Mrs. Doubtfire going back and forth between business meeting and family, getting totally hammered and then walking through the kitchen.

I do all the cooking in my house and I yell this from the kitchen at least once a week. 

Edited by Etexhorn13
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Etexhorn13 said:

Oh fuck me, how did it forget. All time favorite restaurant scene is Mrs. Doubtfire going back and forth between business meeting and family, getting totally hammered and then walking through the kitchen.

I do all the cooking in my house and I yell this from the kitchen at least once a week. 

Jambalaya Newman GIF - Jambalaya Newman Seinfeld - Discover & Share GIFs

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

All of them.  Such a great soundtrack too.

The soundtrack is good. My favorite part is that it opens with Iko Iko. Apparently, according to IMDb, performed by Bo Dollis Jr. and the Wild Magnolia Indians. I’ve searched some examples on YouTube but haven’t found the one they used.

I was first introduced to the song by the Grateful Dead at my first show in Pittsburgh in 1987 when members of the Neville Brothers showed up. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as New Orleans music at that point in my life. The Dead opened a lot of doors for me.

And then I noticed that he cooks his bacon in a pan on the stovetop, not in a tray in the oven. I think that’s the right way to do it. I mean, if you’re cooking bacon for the all-you-can-eat brunch buffet then roasting it in pans in the oven is certainly more efficient. But if you’re just frying it at home and want to collect the grease for use later on then I think pan frying it is definitely the way to go. Plus I think it’s good for the health of your cast iron skillet  

• Hook 'Em 1

A great scene and filmed in Bridges in Danville CA. When we lived in Danville it was one of our favorite places. And we didn’t know about the movie element until we’d eaten there a few times.

2 hours ago, RPM said:

Anything with this guy

anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown.jpg?w=681

You’ve already announced, to your shame, that you’ve never watched The Wire. (It’s okay. You probably wouldn’t get it anyway.) But I’d be shocked if you ever watched Treme, David Simon’s follow up. Bourdain wrote the New York kitchen scenes.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

You’ve already announced, to your shame, that you’ve never watched The Wire. (It’s okay. You probably wouldn’t get it anyway.) But I’d be shocked if you ever watched Treme, David Simon’s follow up. Bourdain wrote the New York kitchen scenes.

Every episode. Really liked Steve Zahn and Kim Dickens storyline.

Khandi Alexander was pretty good, too. There ain't nothin' like a Mardi Gras fuck.

Edited by RPM

9 minutes ago, RPM said:

This one always gets a lot of praise

From whom? People who like big orange flames on their gas stove and don’t know how to cook eggs? And then they serve them without a side of toast or anything else? I had to watch it twice. He may have tossed in a pinch of salt. There was definitely no pepper. And you should never walk away from the pan when you’re cooking eggs.

And what kind of eggs was that? It certainly wasn’t an omelet and it couldn’t be called scrambled. That was an abomination. Who exactly is praising that? That was a nightmare, a culinary disaster. I don’t even know what movie or tv show that’s from but I know I don’t want to see it. Seriously, WTF?

11 minutes ago, RPM said:

Every episode. Really liked Steve Zahn and Kim Dickens storyline.

I don’t believe you. Who was a main character that was murdered and what song did they sing at his memorial?

Also, where is there no shame to play?

Edited by WhatTheBuck

7 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Who was a main character that was murdered and what song did they sing at his memorial?

Too much alcohol since I watched it. Fuck if I can remember. The Jon Seda corruption storyline could have been cut. It didn't add much.

Edited by RPM

9 minutes ago, RPM said:

Too much alcohol since I watched it. Fuck if I can remember. The Jon Seda corruption storyline could have been cut. It didn't add much.

Bullshit. I’m calling you out. You say you’ve never watched The Wire but have watched every episode of Treme? That would make you unique among all of humanity. You’re from Texas but were too drunk to remember Steve Earle’s role in Treme? (He was great in The Wire too). There’s no way all of these assertions are true. I think you’re lying. And also, even though this scene from Treme had nothing to do with food or cooking, it was a powerful scene. If you had watched every episode of Treme then you would’ve remembered it.

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That would make you unique among all of humanity.

I thought that was clearly understood from the get go.

I remember Steve Earle's part. Forgot he was murdered. Like I said, much alcohol between viewings. Seem to remember a junkie going clean for a shrimp boat queen, too. As stated, long time.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

From whom? People who like big orange flames on their gas stove and don’t know how to cook eggs? And then they serve them without a side of toast or anything else? I had to watch it twice. He may have tossed in a pinch of salt. There was definitely no pepper. And you should never walk away from the pan when you’re cooking eggs.

And what kind of eggs was that? It certainly wasn’t an omelet and it couldn’t be called scrambled. That was an abomination. Who exactly is praising that? That was a nightmare, a culinary disaster. I don’t even know what movie or tv show that’s from but I know I don’t want to see it. Seriously, WTF?

It's one of the best movies of the last 25 years.  Dial it back.  It's about the brothers and their circle, not the food.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

The Color Purple: Mister is trying to cook breakfast for Shug Avery and almost burns down the house, but Celie steps in and prepares a feast. Definitely makes me hungry for the meals my grammy cooked and taught me how to cook.

And another southern scene would be from Fried Green Tomatoes. I don't have a clip but "it's hog boiling time!" Like Sipsey says, the secret's in the sauce.... buuuut, while I don't wanna make this BBQ, the scene is certainly evocative.

Groundhog Day. Bill Murray in the diner. Love that movie:

I can think of a few others but I'll stop there.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

I was first introduced to the song by the Grateful Dead

I love the Dead's version of Iko Iko.  Unfortunately, the song doesn't appear on the official Chef soundtrack.

But I did stumble across this

Edited by dcbc