Los Angeles

Ghost of LL

1 hour ago, sunset87 said:

Yeah, I need to check the Vrbo market because everything that’s close to LA CC is mostly booked or outrageously priced.

What about going south of LA CC, is that bad traffic/area?

And your info (bad traffic, etc…)is what I need, because I have no idea…

Shocked that everything close is booked or outrageously priced the week of the US Open.  That golf course is surrounded by some of the most expensive real estate in the country.  The Playboy Mansion  is behind one of the greens.  It’s outrageous there when the US Open isn’t being played next door to Beverly Hills.  It’s gonna be expensive or you’re gonna spend some time in a car every day.  What’s your hopeful budget per day?

Edited by conVINCEd

55 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

Shocked that everything close is booked or outrageously priced the week of the US Open.  That golf course is surrounded by some of the most expensive real estate in the country.  The Playboy Mansion  is behind one of the greens.  It’s outrageous there when the US Open isn’t being played next door to Beverly Hills.  It’s gonna be expensive or you’re gonna spend some time in a car every day.  What’s your hopeful budget per day?

I know I’m not going to find anything “close”. The traffic/commute information that has been posted is helpful though. 

Looking at under $700/night. We’ll figure something out. Probably spend some time in traffic. 

1 hour ago, conVINCEd said:

I have a relative who lives off of La Cienaga and Olympic.  They have a really nice garage apartment that we stay in every time we are in LA.  They don’t list it on the vacation websites, but they are not against free money.  I could ask.

Thanks for that. I am still checking other possibilities, but might be interested. I’ll pm if we want to go that direction. 

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, sunset87 said:

What about going south of LA CC, is that bad traffic/area?

The areas directly south of the LACC (i.e., Cheviot Hills, Rancho Park, Beverlywood, etc.) are good neighborhoods, so chances are great that anything you might find on VRBO or Airbnb in those areas would be nice.  I suspect, however, that you won't find much in those neighborhoods on VRBO or Airbnb.  I personally wouldn't be inclined to go too far south of I-10 because (depending on the particular area) things can start getting sketchy plus distance.  Culver City might have some possibilities, and they'll be cheaper than the area immediately around the LACC.

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, Zepol87 said:

Search sucks and I couldn't find the SoCal thread that was more recent but anyone got tips for Universal? Headed back Sunday and have never been, thinking of going on a non-Ranger gameday midweek. Any tips or recs on shit to do or not do?

Fuck the amusement park. Go to the Getty.  

13 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Search sucks and I couldn't find the SoCal thread that was more recent but anyone got tips for Universal? Headed back Sunday and have never been, thinking of going on a non-Ranger gameday midweek. Any tips or recs on shit to do or not do?

I took my kids to Universal this year on Spring Break. Upgrade your tickets to get at least a limited amount of fast entry admissions for the rides, because the lines can get long, though mid-week in the off-season it might not be that bad.

The studio tour is pretty cool, but we did the Warner Bros. tour the following day which we thought was much better. 

Like any other amusement park, it’s overpriced mediocre amusement park food. Your best bet for food options might be the restaurant in Harry Potter World.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, futureman said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzT4N3lRZZ3/

@Sbbruin you familiar with this place?  apparently in pasadena.

Very familiar.  It's a burger place but are most well known for the breakfast burritos.   Burritos are on point. 2 locations.  One on Arroyo Pkwy and another newer one on Walnut.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/20/2023 at 8:57 PM, futureman said:

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CzT4N3lRZZ3/

@Sbbruin you familiar with this place?  apparently in pasadena.

Lucky boy is awesome. When I was here a few weeks a month I stayed down the street in old town. I miss staying over there. 
Badass pics @mdleast I’m spending Thanksgiving in El Segundo. Should be a good time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I thought Lucky Boy was very meh.  Perhaps it's just that a SoCal breakfast burrito is never going to hold a candle to a good ATX breakfast taco.  But regardless, it was underseasoned, over-potatoed, and the salsa wasn't good.

We went to brunch at The Butcher, the Baker, and the Cappuccino Maker on Sunset, and it was fantastic.   Highly recommend.

Also recommend Katana on Sunset.  That was a fun place for dinner.

7 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

I get homestate breakfast probably once a week if I am in the office. Love that place, also felt my first earthquake today

I was out there for a month on a contract gig when my earthquake cherry got popped.  In a downtown high rise and it started shimmying and shaking a little bit.  My reaction to my first quake was met with relentless mocking for the rest off my time there.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, mdleast said:

Yep, mdmost and I had Home State on a trip back in 2016 and thought it was pretty solid.

Pretty sure the owner grew up in Austin.  She knows what she’s doing.    I don’t care for the breakfast burritos that e everyone loves out there.The tortilla to filling ratio is off.

On 11/21/2023 at 11:44 AM, Incredulity said:

it's on Radford, near the In-n-Out.

sorry couldn't resist.

In-N-Out's on Camrose

6 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The breakfast tacos at this spot are solid. 

HomeState

https://www.myhomestate.com

They just opened one of those in Oceanside.  I didn't realize it's a chain.   I liked it.