Los Angeles

Ghost of LL

If you want to see an active movie studio, the Warner Bros VIP tour is interesting. Catalina really requires an overnight, but worth it. Neptunes Net at County Line or Paradise Cove are also good coastal options. Universal is fun, but crowded.

I’ll just tack on that we loved The Getty as well. Great art, great architecture, and great views. The kids around us seemed to love the tram thingy that takes you up there.  I’ll also second Brisket’s recommendation for the La Brea Tar Pits.  Utterly fascinating.  We stay within walking distance of there, and I’ve gone multiple times.  

I’m there a few times per year, but I’ll leave the high end recs to the locals.  We drink a lot of wine when we go out there, and I don’t do it often enough to have the names of the non-famous places committed to memory, as the in-laws pick the restaurants and we Uber there and back.  I remember stuff better when I participate in the selection process, and I remember the exact location better when I drive.  The little italian place by Cedar Sinai was really good, but that doesn’t do you a whole lot of good.  Nobu Malibu was lovely and expensive, you can probably find a better deal on sushi.  but you won’t find a better view.  

18 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

The kids are definitely in tow.  They'll be 13 and 11.  They don't eat anything interesting.  They want burgers, chicken tenders, pizza.  Fuck them.  I'm not catering to their interested on my fucking vacation.  Give me all your restaurant recs.

We're in DT because I got a killer rate at the Bonaventure.  And it's reasonably centrally located.  So that's kind of what we settled on.

You could do a lot worse than spending a morning/afternoon in Silver Lake, which is the now-yuppified former hipster capital of the West Coast. Still has some of the old charm of the neighborhood and there's great people watching and some of the best food in L.A. Park and stroll up and down Sunset Blvd, pop into some cool boutiques, walk some crazy staircases, etc. It's not far from downtown and you can park your car and do mostly everything on foot, a rarity for L.A.

Great (pretentious) coffee options abound in Silver Lake, or you could hit Cafe Tropical, which is an old school spot with mediocre coffee and good, quick breakfast sandwich options.

Brunch at All Day Baby, a newish spot that gets busy, but if you're there at like 10am on a weekday it shouldn't be a problem. Lots of options for the 11 and 13-year old there. 

La Sorted's – fantastic pizza and incredible sandwiches. Everything on the menu is great.

Get burgers at Burgers Never Say Die, then head to the Silver Lake Reservoir. Really cool mid-century architecture all around the reservoir and good people watching. Or hit up For the Win for the best smash burgers in town. That's in Hollywood, just off the 101. Keep an eye out for Tom Cruise, since it's right by the Scientology Celebrity Center (yes, that's the real name, truly a weird place).

A trip to L.A. would be remiss without hitting up some taco trucks. Great ones all over, but Ruso's #1 gets my vote as the best in town right now and it's also in Silver Lake, on Sunset in the back of the Sweetfin parking lot. 

A Dodgers game would be fun. Chinatown is right by the ballpark and lots of great food options there. Also right by Highland Park Brewery, which is arguably the best beer in L.A. right now.

Have fun – L.A. is fucking great. Just make a point to not try and do too much driving – if you're not a local and don't know the traffic patterns or routes to take, it can be brutal.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:
And if you dig planes, go to General Lyon's museum at SNA.  And the "Planes of Fame" museum at Chino Airport. 

We've done both in our years vacationing out in OC.  Man, the Planes of Fame museum is incredible (Chino is a shithole, but it's a dry shithole, which makes it a good place to store planes).  They have multiple beautiful Corsairs -- we walked into the hangar, and my wife commented "okay, I'm not even that into airplanes, and those are fucking gorgeous."

The General Lyon's museum has some beauties as well:

6552287024b6b4ef438e585794d22e1f.jpg
79145bc076f96222f37f26813b9ca685.jpg

Edited by Brisketexan
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Sbbruin said:

No clue.  Couldn’t help ya.  Never been.  Heard it’s cool though.  Buddy of mine just sent me this shot of him sitting on his boat right now in San Pedro chilling. He said he’s headed to Catalina tomorrow.  He’s a douche though.
9400be911ade3ba58a1e9fac9099dae8.jpg

1WoG.gif

6 hours ago, 406W30th said:

Have fun – L.A. is fucking great. Just make a point to not try and do too much driving – if you're not a local and don't know the traffic patterns or routes to take, it can be brutal.

HAHA! We were glad our oldest was navigating over my shoulder while we were there. We had rented a small SUV because we were bringing her some things from home (we drove out there) and since it was bigger than her car we just used it for the sightseeing. I pulled a great U-turn in the hills on the scenic Mulholland Drive that had a few passengers white-knuckled but she had planned most of our excursions to avoid the worst of the traffic debacles.

She commutes from the Culver City area to Pasadena but goes in really early and that probably helps with the worst of it, plus I got the feeling that was contraflow. Overall, LA seemed like anyplace we've lived or visited. Good and bad and you just learn the ropes (or see the sights) and keep your expectations in line and it is what it is. Regardless, she's there and so our hearts will always be there as well, wishing everyone who lives or spends time there the best of luck.

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2022 at 12:40 PM, Carl Spackler said:

I thought about Father's Office when I was posting above about Santa Monica, but I'm pretty sure it's 21-and over there because it's a bar, and the OP is going to have his two kids in tow.  That said, great beer selection and a really good burger.  Just don't try to substitute anything on the burger. 

On 5/12/2022 at 1:08 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Good call.  Because we're going to need at least one date night during which we just order room service for the kids and leave them behind with their babysitter iPads.

Do they really enforce the 21-and-over thing if the kids are with their parents?

Just looked this up because we're moving to L.A. and we'll be about a block from the Culver City Father's Office location. I'm really annoyed to find out that no one under 21 is allowed, nor are dogs. Boo. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:12 PM, Ghost of LL said:

The kids are definitely in tow.  They'll be 13 and 11.  They don't eat anything interesting.  They want burgers, chicken tenders, pizza.  Fuck them.  I'm not catering to their interested on my fucking vacation.  Give me all your restaurant recs.

This is good parenting. They will thank you one day. 

On 5/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, Landomatic said:

California sucks.

that is all

lmao negged - this is the food and travel board. Take your political axe back to Texags.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, 406W30th said:

Just looked this up because we're moving to L.A. and we'll be about a block from the Culver City Father's Office location. I'm really annoyed to find out that no one under 21 is allowed, nor are dogs. Boo. 

Yeah, the proprietor is inflexible on it.  He's also inflexible on the "no modifications to the burger" policy -- you take the burger as is or you don't get it.  He's kind of the soup nazi of Santa Monica except that his staff doesn't get belligerent with the customers -- they're just firm about it.  The stubbornness is one of the things for which FO has become famous.  Well, besides the burger and the great beer selection.       

You won't be too far from a pretty good burger (plus pie!) at the Apple Pan on Pico.  It's a diner style place with an outdoor seating area as well as a counter inside, so you can take the kids and pooches there.  Be warned -- the line can get long.

Edited by Carl Spackler
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

lmao negged - this is the food and travel board. Take your political axe back to Texags.

Traveling to California sucks. Does that help you?

Wife is from there and each trip we’ve taken to visit her parent there gets shiftier and shittier.

2 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

You won't be too far from a pretty good burger (plus pie!) at the Apple Pan on Pico.  It's a diner style place with an outdoor seating area as well as a counter inside, so you can take the kids and pooches there.  Be warned -- the line can get long.

Quality forever

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Wife is from there and each trip we’ve taken to visit her parent there gets shiftier and shittier.

All parts? The high deserts? The mountain towns? The beach communities? The major cities? The central valley? The National Parks? The state parks?

Do her parents live in a city or town? Or do they roam the entire state, forcing you to experience all parts? Are there certain laws here that make your time less enjoyable? Its just such a general statement, that its hard to believe its not motivated by something else.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wife and I were in the L.A. area for a wedding a few weeks ago and aside from the traffic, we had a great time. LAX is a mess too, but once we got our rental car, we headed to the Original Tommy's for a great burger experience. After that we ventured to UCLA to tour the campus and fell in love with Westwood. We stayed at an Airbnb in Santa Monica, had drinks at the quintessential SoCal beach bar, Big Dean's, and ate some amazing lobster enchiladas at Sol Agave. One night we went to West Hollywood for dinner and drinks at one of the Vanderpump places after spending part of the day at the Griffith Park Observatory. Overall, it was a good experience, and I could see myself living there someday if I could afford it. 

• Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Landomatic said:

California is a big place.  Kinda generalizing, aren't we?  

3 minutes ago, fwtxbevo said:

Wife and I were in the L.A. area for a wedding a few weeks ago and aside from the traffic, we had a great time. LAX is a mess too, but once we got our rental car, we headed to the Original Tommy's for a great burger experience. 

This is how it's done.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, 406W30th said:

The burger at Father's Office isn't good enough to be worth enduring all the pretense and misplaced reverence.

It's been long enough since we lived in Culver City that my recommendations are probably more miss than hit at this point (I see that unfortunately, Ford's Filling Station is no more...), but I am confident that there are a dozen better places within walking distance anyway.

Make sure you explore the Museum of Jurassic Technology. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

The burger at Father's Office isn't good enough to be worth enduring all the pretense and misplaced reverence.

It's been long enough since we lived in Culver City that my recommendations are probably more miss than hit at this point (I see that unfortunately, Ford's Filling Station is no more...), but I am confident that there are a dozen better places within walking distance anyway.

It’s a tasty burger, and I didn’t really get a whiff of the pretentiousness aside from being informed before we walked in that the burger comes how it comes, don’t ask them to make any changes.

36 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

It’s a tasty burger, and I didn’t really get a whiff of the pretentiousness aside from being informed before we walked in that the burger comes how it comes, don’t ask them to make any changes.

I find it to be pretty far up its own ass. 

As Peter Griffin might say, "it insists upon itself." 

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I find it to be pretty far up its own ass. 

As Peter Griffin might say, "it insists upon itself." 

You’ve probably been there more than I have, so I’ll defer.  I will say this, the wife likes sweet potato fries, and I’ll grab a few off of her order from time to time.  They have the best sweet potato fries I have ever had.  It’s really hard to get those as crispy as they do.  It’s a tasty meal if you want to do Santa Monica for a half day.  The beer selection doesn’t hurt either.

Lived there for a couple of years and if you stay in same side of town, love it.  Don't try and cross town too many times. 

Lot of people had great suggestions so only touristy thing I'd add is renting bikes in Santa Monica and riding to Will Rogers state park area.  A fun daytime event.

49 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

You’ve probably been there more than I have, so I’ll defer.  I will say this, the wife likes sweet potato fries, and I’ll grab a few off of her order from time to time.  They have the best sweet potato fries I have ever had.  It’s really hard to get those as crispy as they do.  It’s a tasty meal if you want to do Santa Monica for a half day.  The beer selection doesn’t hurt either.

Honestly, you may have been there more than me. I think I gave up after three visits. 

And I don't like sweet potato fries, so that further explains our differences of opinion. 

This is where I would recommend everyone else eat burgers instead:  https://humblepotato.com/culver-city/

Screenshot_20220802-221235_Chrome.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Hook 'Em 1

I have fond memories of the Father's Office burger but it's been 10 years since I lived in L.A. so that may be off. But I was excited at the idea of being within walking distance of a place that apparently has Hop Butcher IPA's on tap. 

Humble Potato sounds like exactly my type of spot. Thanks for the recommendation.

Definitely very excited to be moving back to L.A. and living in/exploring a completely different part of town. Gonna be a lot different this time around with a family in-tow. 

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

I don't disagree.  I mean, I like it and it's good, but it's not THAT good.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/1/2022 at 11:04 PM, Foosters said:

@Ghost of LL

How'd everything turn out?

Really great, and thank y'all for the recommendations.

We hit up Grand Central Market, and it's fantastic.  I really wish we had someplace like that (or Chelsea Market) here in Austin.  We also did Daedo Sikdang in Koreatown and Osteria Mozza, both of which were really good.

Best thing we did was splurged for really good seats for the Dodgers against the Giants.  The Giants suck, and watching the Dodgers beat the shit out of them was really fun.  But I'm not going to that game in the cheap seats.  And, as an added bonus, I (accidentally) parked in Lot P, which is at the highest point right behind home plate, and I figured out that it quietly has the best view of DTLA in the City (yeah--it's much better than the observatory).

But I'm also going to tell you--there's something really sad about LA right now.  Its homeless situation is vastly worse than either SF or Austin.  And the drought is really taking a toll.  You may not notice if you live there, but as someone who hasn't been there in a decade, it's jarring to see freeway rights of way that used to be green now absolutely desiccated.  

• Hook 'Em 2

Just got back a week ago from LA. Took the kid to Disney Land and California adventure park (or whatever its called). Stayed at the Disney resort for those days.

Then an AirBnB in Santa Monica for 4 days. The pier was cool, rented bikes and biked up to will rogers park and then down to Venice. Watched the skaters and freaks. Daughter took surf lessons. Not really a lot of instructing that I could see, but the guys would control the board for her and get her in position, then give her a push. After a few tries, she started standing up pretty frequently. The place we stayed had an old beginner board that I borrowed. After some initial flailing about, I managed to stand up a handful of times. Even thought the waves weren't all that, it was good to find out that after 20+ years since I've been on a board, I could still stand up.

We also hit the Getty one day and wife and kid went to madam Tousad's (sp) wax house and walked the sidewalk with the stars while I stayed in Santa Monica and surfed some more and looked at hot ass on the beach.

I could give a shit about where to eat so I let the wife pick the restaurants. She found one good Italian place and one good sushi place that were both on or near the promenade. One hippy breakfast place called Urth Cafe (I think) was pretty good.

Best part was the temp never got above about 85 the entire trip. Flights were all on time and uneventful (SWA). Overall, a pretty good time.

edit: Oh yeah, also went hiking in state park one morning.

Edited by High Plains Drifter
  • Hook 'Em 3

• 4 months later...
4 hours ago, sunset87 said:

We are going to the US Open golf tournament, being played at LA Country Club in June. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stay relatively close to that area? Or maybe better yet, places not to stay.

Hotels? If coin is no concern, I'd suggest the Peninsula. But the BH Hilton is also just as close to LACC and very reasonably priced in relative terms. A place like the Pendry in West Hollywood is also great, and about a 15 minute drive from LACC but basically right across the street from the Comedy Store as well as Tower Bar, so has good nightlife possibilities without having to drive or uber. For the history, LA glamour and a stunning setting, there's always John Belushi's favorite, Chateau Marmont, also about a 15 minute drive from LACC.

Besides Original Tommy's when I go to LA the other food I look forward to is at the hundreds of Asian restaurants in and around the San Gabriel Valley. I have a buddy who takes me to all his latest and great finds. So much good food there. Basically, a mecca for Asian food of all varieties. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/26/2022 at 9:49 AM, sunset87 said:

We are going to the US Open golf tournament, being played at LA Country Club in June. Anyone have any suggestions on places to stay relatively close to that area? Or maybe better yet, places not to stay.

I would look at a variety of hip hotels in West Hollywood.  Then you can just shoot down Sunset to LACC.  The W in Westwood is good.  Santa Monica has good options, but even though it’s close, it can take a LONG time to get there

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

I would look at a variety of hip hotels in West Hollywood.  Then you can just shoot down Sunset to LACC.  The W in Westwood is good.  Santa Monica has good options, but even though it’s close, it can take a LONG time to get there

I once stayed in a very nice hotel on Sunset, and truthfully, it was pretty noisy. 

On 12/26/2022 at 12:49 PM, sunset87 said:

SLS Beverly Hills has a fantastic rooftop pool.  Some girlfriends and I had a great weekend there back in 2016.

I also stayed at Andaz WEHO which was pretty good as well.

Have hung out at the Tropicana and the Library Bar at the Roosevelt.  Never stayed there, but think the pool rooms might be pretty nice.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

7 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

SLS Beverly Hills has a fantastic rooftop pool.  Some girlfriends and I had a great weekend there back in 2016.

I also stayed at Andaz WEHO which was pretty good as well.

Have hung out at the Tropicana and the Library Bar at the Roosevelt.  Never stayed there, but think the pool rooms might be pretty nice.

Thinking about booking the Roosevelt.  Most of the other suggestions that have been given are either already booked or +$1,000/night.  I haven't checked the vrbo market yet. Should probably do that before I decide anything.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help.  If you have any more please respond.

48 minutes ago, sunset87 said:

Thinking about booking the Roosevelt.  Most of the other suggestions that have been given are either already booked or +$1,000/night.  I haven't checked the vrbo market yet. Should probably do that before I decide anything.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and help.  If you have any more please respond.

One thing to keep in mind if you decide to stay at the Roosevelt is that even though you'll only be 5 or 6 miles from the LA Country Club as the crow flies, it will take probably anywhere between 25 to 45 minutes (depending on the time of day) to drive to the LACC from the hotel because traffic will be bad.  Sunset Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd., which are the two main arteries running between Hollyweird and Beverly Hills, both get backed up, esp. during rush hours.  

50 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

One thing to keep in mind if you decide to stay at the Roosevelt is that even though you'll only be 5 or 6 miles from the LA Country Club as the crow flies, it will take probably anywhere between 25 to 45 minutes (depending on the time of day) to drive to the LACC from the hotel because traffic will be bad.  Sunset Blvd. and Santa Monica Blvd., which are the two main arteries running between Hollyweird and Beverly Hills, both get backed up, esp. during rush hours.  

Yeah, I need to check the Vrbo market because everything that’s close to LA CC is mostly booked or outrageously priced.

What about going south of LA CC, is that bad traffic/area?

And your info (bad traffic, etc…)is what I need, because I have no idea…