She’s Better Topless: Jeep Thread

Archer

4 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Rules people
post some pics 

I'm looking at getting a gently used jku next summer 

I can’t figure out the software. All I have gotten is imgur doesn’t work? I keep getting a red box when I try to link. 

Is there a big difference between the 07-11 vs the 12-17 models?
Something like
636614845143753041.jpg
vs

636609703697989017.jpg

Yes. In 2012 Jeep switched from the 3.8L to a 3.6L V6. Big HP and moderate torque increase. Also more fuel efficient. While not a total dog, the 3.8 is noticeably underpowered compared to the 3.6. There is a reason the 07-11 can be had a bit cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, texasdago said:

My wife has a four door.  Looking at installing some kind of pulley or system to be able to take the Jeep top off in the garage.  Any ideas or successes?  We have 8 foot ceilings.

Lange has a few options. According to their website, you only need a 7 ft ceiling. There are a ton of DYI instructions online that you can build for cheap. I don't trust my build skills that much and since I am solo when removing the top, I went with the powered option. It is a little more expensive, but makes top removal/replacement an easy one person job. If you have space, Lange also makes a hoist cart that you don't have to ceiling mount at all-it's kinda pricey though. 

On 6/1/2018 at 5:58 PM, gasman said:

Lange has a few options. According to their website, you only need a 7 ft ceiling. There are a ton of DYI instructions online that you can build for cheap. I don't trust my build skills that much and since I am solo when removing the top, I went with the powered option. It is a little more expensive, but makes top removal/replacement an easy one person job. If you have space, Lange also makes a hoist cart that you don't have to ceiling mount at all-it's kinda pricey though. 

Thanks... I'm going to explore a few options so we can get it up and "out of the way" (sort of).  Its only like 110 degrees outside so, hey, who needs A/C

On 6/1/2018 at 12:36 PM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Rules people
post some pics 

I'm looking at getting a gently used jku next summer 

Just bought a 15 with under 40k miles.  Couple things I advise.  

Don't buy a '12.  Tons of problems from what I researched.

Carfax.com is a great way to narrow down.  

I settled on model, features etc and kept searching till found exact Jeep at price I wanted to pay. 

Fucking love driving daily.

I know this is obvious, but it depends on if it's your every day driver or weekend car.  My wife had a newer model that was her everyday driver and I would definitely recommend a hard top in that case.  If you are just driving it on the weekends with nice weather I would suggest soft.

I’ll go hard top then as it would be a daily driver. Now deciding if I want white or silver. Part of me is leaning white because I plan to chrome it out long term and I think white and chrome looks good. I’m tired of the played out white on Black. Have any of y’all had experience painting the hard top to match the body?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Have had four Jeeps if I count buying the same one twice (sold it to Dad and bought it back 5 years later)

89 Commanche - owned twice

93 Cherokee

99 Grand Cherokee

I kinda miss the Commanche.

Edited by AUinHsv

• 1 month later...

Used Wranglers here in Florida are all priced higher than giraffe pussy. Uncanny how much folks are asking. Using FB marketplace mainly.

There was a shop near Orlando doing mediocre refurbish jobs. Looks like they might be shut down now.

I have a bunch of toys so it's not a big priority but I would like to pick one up.

On 8/17/2018 at 11:25 AM, bigshark88 said:

Used Wranglers here in Florida are all priced higher than giraffe pussy. Uncanny how much folks are asking. Using FB marketplace mainly.

Yeah we were shocked at how much used Jeeps were going for when we started shopping last summer. We had to almost triple our original budget to get one we’d want to own and drive. 

20 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’m selling my 2000 sport soon.  Move to a smaller  house with only a 2 car garage and I feel bad just keep it in the street.  I’ve had it since 12/31/2003 and I’m going to hate to see it go.

Pics would be nice

Edited by Poolflood

1 hour ago, TKthunder2 said:

I’ll put one on here tomorrow.  It’s nothing special though all stock.

From what I’ve seen those tend to be a little more desirable and bring a few extra dollars. I was happy ours was stock when we find it. 

On 8/17/2018 at 12:25 PM, bigshark88 said:

There was a shop near Orlando doing mediocre refurbish jobs. Looks like they might be shut down now.

I have a bunch of toys so it's not a big priority but I would like to pick one up.

Wranglers and Tacomas have the two highest resale values. It is pretty crazy. 

• 8 months later...
On 8/19/2018 at 7:30 AM, Loco said:

not a jeep, but the top and windshield come down...

IMG_1866_zps66ebb989.jpg

Getting my 93 Landcruiser back this week I hope.  She's had the dents pounded out, roof re-welded, and then repainted by a restoration guy.  Pics when available. 

On 5/4/2019 at 9:02 AM, Buzzrock said:

I’m toying with unloading my old Mustang and getting a Wrangler as a nice-weather toy. What years should I look for in terms of bang for the buck?

Also: not a Jeep but saw this transplant the other night.

dfb1ee26ede8116aa784f82b471ae0db.jpg

Years probably depend on which model of Jeep want. Each generation CJ/YJ/TJ/JK have pluses and minuses. Some consider the TJ the last original Wrangler and the JK more of a normal SUVs. Our TJ is fun because it’s so basic and small compared to our DDs.  

14 hours ago, Archer said:

Years probably depend on which model of Jeep want. Each generation CJ/YJ/TJ/JK have pluses and minuses. Some consider the TJ the last original Wrangler and the JK more of a normal SUVs. Our TJ is fun because it’s so basic and small compared to our DDs.  

I looked hard at a low mileage LJ..  I think they are just about perfect.  Just couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Bought the FJ a few months later.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

I looked hard at a low mileage LJ..  I think they are just about perfect.  Just couldn't quite bring myself to do it. Bought the FJ a few months later.

Ours isn’t super low mileage but 95,000 on a 2004 was good enough for me. The LJ is awesome with how much more we can do with just the little extra space. We’ve had 4 people in it comfortably for a 2 door Jeep and our 20qt Orca fits great in the back going to parties. 

Prices on the LJ reflect this extra space and let’s not even get started on a LJR price. 

Edited by Archer

• 5 months later...

Time for a resurrection on Jeep love.  Here are some threads on my rebuilds for my kids.  For faster satisfaction and to skip the labor, view the first page and skip to the last to see the baby. 

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/what-now-what-you-might-call-8861/

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/ok-so-im-slow-learner-13752/

https://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/3rd-time-down-rabbit-hole-30492/

The last one is my CJ which will be my DD.  I'm thinking I'll put it on the dyno and see what the numbers say.  If there are more ponies to be had then I'll strip it down and go from there and re-dyno so I'll sleep better.

• Hook 'Em 1