She’s Better Topless: Jeep Thread

Archer

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

What was it about the Gladiator that didn't impress you?  I don't own one -- just curious.

I’m only 6’. I have the seat all the way back as far as possible and my knees are bent enough to start aching after a half hour.  It’s so absurdly light in the back end, I couldn’t make a turn during a sprinkle the other day without whipping it out, and it’s got good/decent tires. It’s got the the auto kill/start at stoplight deal, but it still starts like the Cherokee I had in the 90’s (cranks seemingly forever) so it makes that feature which I already dislike, unbearable. Not seamless like most others I’ve driven with that.  But, I fully understand it’s just not my type of vehicle. The 3-4 guys onsite that have asked me all liked it or have been considering one. It’s peppy af, but still on its stock tires. Inside is 10x nicer than every Jeep I’ve spent any real time in. I’m just used to long commute/heavier haul trucks and suvs. 

as to the too expensive for a hunting truck, y’all priced a new Mule/Ranger lately? Well into the 20’s for properly equipped 4 door.  We’re currently rocking a Yukon on the ranch but that will eventually die and I think this would be a great replacement. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

as to the too expensive for a hunting truck, y’all priced a new Mule/Ranger lately? Well into the 20’s for properly equipped 4 door.  We’re currently rocking a Yukon on the ranch but that will eventually die and I think this would be a great replacement. 

Several years down the road sure, maybe so.  I was talking about right now.  The Gladiator has only been out a couple of years, there's no such thing as an old beater JT just yet.  And the way Jeeps retain their resale value, there likely won't be one any time soon.

4 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’m only 6’. I have the seat all the way back as far as possible and my knees are bent enough to start aching after a half hour.  It’s so absurdly light in the back end, I couldn’t make a turn during a sprinkle the other day without whipping it out, and it’s got good/decent tires. It’s got the the auto kill/start at stoplight deal, but it still starts like the Cherokee I had in the 90’s (cranks seemingly forever) so it makes that feature which I already dislike, unbearable. Not seamless like most others I’ve driven with that.  But, I fully understand it’s just not my type of vehicle. The 3-4 guys onsite that have asked me all liked it or have been considering one. It’s peppy af, but still on its stock tires. Inside is 10x nicer than every Jeep I’ve spent any real time in. I’m just used to long commute/heavier haul trucks and suvs. 

Also, I think @MadBurgerMaker , @Stinkpalm , and @smuggs own JTs.  if they see this they might chime in with their experiences.

21 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Jeep guys, what are y’all’s thoughts on the gladiator?  

Its not as capable off-road in most cases as the Wrangler. It’s break over angle and departure angle are a significant limitation.

It’s not as good as a truck as any of the 1/2 tons on the market. More in line with the Ranger and Tacomas size wise, capacity, interior space, etc….

if you need a smaller truck that’s somewhat capable off-road and has lots of style the Gladiator is a good fit.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, utee94 said:

Also, I think @MadBurgerMaker , @Stinkpalm , and @smuggs own JTs.  if they see this they might chime in with their experiences.

I love my Gladiator. Approaching 2 years now, no issues and it's been a blast so far. It's comfortable (for a Jeep), well-equipped, the UConnect system is superior to Ford's SYNC in every way, and the soft top on the current JT/JL series is miles beyond the JK series from just a few years ago. I keep the start/stop disengaged via the button on the dash. I'm also 5'9" and I don't feel cramped inside but the step-in height of the rollbar is a little low. I see how it could be an issue for the taller folks.

A couple of notes about my set up:

- 3.5" JKS lift with Fox 2.0's and a Fox ATS 2.0 steering stabilizer with 35's. The ride is night and day difference from stock when I bought it. 75mph on I-10 and it tracks straight with zero drifting or wandering. The rear end can get jumpy over washboard type shit but it's a small truck, par for the course. I average 17 on the highway and 15 around town.

- I have a Diamondback HD bed cover. It can support 1400 lbs, has 12 tie down cleats and together with the factory locking tailgate it essentially creates a giant secure waterproof trunk with a functional flatbed on top. I throw shit on top and strap it down with a cargo net all the time. Whenever I park I put any valuables underneath. It's a game changer for the Gladiator or probably any mid-size truck where bed space is at a premium.

jeepb.jpg

jeepa.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, smuggs said:

I love my Gladiator. Approaching 2 years now, no issues and it's been a blast so far. It's comfortable (for a Jeep), well-equipped, the UConnect system is superior to Ford's SYNC in every way, and the soft top on the current JT/JL series is miles beyond the JK series from just a few years ago. I keep the start/stop disengaged via the button on the dash. I'm also 5'9" and I don't feel cramped inside but the step-in height of the rollbar is a little low. I see how it could be an issue for the taller folks.

A couple of notes about my set up:

- 3.5" JKS lift with Fox 2.0's and a Fox ATS 2.0 steering stabilizer with 35's. The ride is night and day difference from stock when I bought it. 75mph on I-10 and it tracks straight with zero drifting or wandering. The rear end can get jumpy over washboard type shit but it's a small truck, par for the course. I average 17 on the highway and 15 around town.

- I have a Diamondback HD bed cover. It can support 1400 lbs, has 12 tie down cleats and together with the factory locking tailgate it essentially creates a giant secure waterproof trunk with a functional flatbed on top. I throw shit on top and strap it down with a cargo net all the time. Whenever I park I put any valuables underneath. It's a game changer for the Gladiator or probably any mid-size truck where bed space is at a premium.

jeepb.jpg

jeepa.jpg

Nice looking truck, and hood.  I also have learned in short order to just turn the auto off/start off each time I get in. Question, is there a work around on having to touch the fob to the ignition button? I assume that’s not just a gladiator thing. 

18 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Nice looking truck, and hood.  I also have learned in short order to just turn the auto off/start off each time I get in. Question, is there a work around on having to touch the fob to the ignition button? I assume that’s not just a gladiator thing. 

You have to touch the fob to the start button? That must be a new feature, mine is a 2020 and you just push the button to start. You said it was rental? Maybe they have it set that way for some dumb safety reason.

Try drilling through the settings menu (bottom right corner of the touch screen). All the vehicle settings are in there from daytime running lights to honk/lock settings, etc. I bet it’s in there somewhere.

• Hook 'Em 1

33 minutes ago, smuggs said:

You have to touch the fob to the start button? That must be a new feature, mine is a 2020 and you just push the button to start. You said it was rental? Maybe they have it set that way for some dumb safety reason.

Yeah, it has to “recognize” the fob.  The painted words on the ignition button are mostly long gone already from it.   First time I’ve seen it. I’m absolutely going to try and remedy it though. 

5 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah, it has to “recognize” the fob.  The painted words on the ignition button are mostly long gone already from it.   First time I’ve seen it. I’m absolutely going to try and remedy it though. 

The only time the key comes out of my pocket until I'm at home is if I remote start it.  Didn't know this was even an option.  

I don't turn my auto start/stop off like @smuggs does, but it doesn't take much time at all to start up.  Like...lift the foot, engine starts, press gas to go.  My wife's JL has a different battery configuration (it's an option on both) that allows it to stay off longer and starts up a bit more smoothly, but nothing too drastic.  It kinda sounds like there's something wrong with your rental.  Either way, press the button with a circled A to make it stop.  

Never have had a problem in either of mine (21 80th Anniversary and 21 Mojave) with the back end coming loose, although I don't exactly hammer it down, and the tires on them are/were essentially brand new.  

1 hour ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

The only time the key comes out of my pocket until I'm at home is if I remote start it.  Didn't know this was even an option.

Damn it. That’s far and away most irritating thing ever. Rental but whatever. My GMs are like you describe, as long as it’s in pocket you’re good.  I’ll see if I can snap a pic when I go out tonight. 

The only start/stop I have to compare it to is our work fleet of 1/2 ton dodges.  They are smooth as butter. I learned how to turn it off with them a long time ago. this one feels like the motor mounts may be starting to go. It’s got more side to side than it should when it cranks back up. 

1 hour ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Never have had a problem in either of mine (21 80th Anniversary and 21 Mojave) with the back end coming loose, although I don't exactly hammer it down, and the tires on them are/were essentially brand new.  

It’s just peppy af. With the stock tires, it’s moves good, and there’s no weight to the hind end. Not a problem specific to the Gladiator, just something I had to get used to after the last nearly 2 decades in a heavy ass truck.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, fattyflattie said:

Damn it. That’s far and away most irritating thing ever. Rental but whatever. My GMs are like you describe, as long as it’s in pocket you’re good.  I’ll see if I can snap a pic when I go out tonight. 

Yeah it sounds obnoxious having to jam that bigass keyfob into the button every time.  Might as well just use a real, old fashioned key at that point.  

This dude here says that's how you start it when the fob battery is dead, but I don't get why it would work for everything else if that was the case.  

10 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

Probably dying/low battery in the fob.  At least I hope,  my 2yo Ram is starting to do the same thing about 1 out of 3 times.  Just been too lazy to look it up or see how to replace fob battery

• 1 month later...

Super late to the discussion after seeing I got tagged… thought I’d still throw my thoughts in the thread for flattie or anybody else considering a JT, now that I have some time. With respect to flattie’s issues, I can’t say I’ve experienced any of those, thankfully. My start/stop is pretty instantaneous… about on par with my trail boss, and only a tick slower than my wife’s F-150. Certainly not enough of a difference to think much of it. Like others have said, key fob stays in the pocket. Only time I’ve had to push the button with the fob was when I had tried to start it without the key fob (had left it in the house but thought it was in my pocket). Message popped up on the dash that key fob had to be pressed into the button before it would start (for security reasons, it would appear).

As far as cabin space, I’m 6’2” and haven’t had any issues. I normally keep my seat pretty far back, but not at the max, and it’s pretty comfortable for me. And usually have to scoot it up a couple clicks when the 16 month old rides with me (car seat is behind the drivers seat) to give it sufficient clearance to pivot in a crash, and still don’t feel uncomfortable. Then again, this is my third jeep, so maybe I’m just used to it. Certainly not as roomy as our full sized trucks, but still feels roomier than my previous 2 doors.

And sliding or getting loose around corners hasn’t been an issue, but I also have the max tow package, so I’m geared lower and don’t have as much pep as other JTs likely do. My trail boss on the other hand is an automatic for getting loose on corners regardless of road conditions…

All in all, I’m very happy with it. Still miss having a wrangler at times, but the gladiator fits my needs and uses more than the wrangler these days. The only real issue I’ve had with it is an issue I had with my JK as well, but it’s not that big of a deal. The Uconnect system will randomly reset itself, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. At least with the JT, when it does it, I don’t lose presets and audio preferences. Just shuts off and back on again with a startup message while driving (not often, but every now and then). In the Jk, I would have to reprogram everything outside of Bluetooth connection. 

And that cover looks awesome, @smuggs. I’ve been making do with the tri-fold that came on mine (quickly marred it up and put indentions in it from loading my mtbs and other gear on it) but pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on one of those sooner than later. Hadn’t see one on a JT yet, but it looks really good. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 8/2/2022 at 12:37 AM, Stinkpalm said:

Super late to the discussion after seeing I got tagged… thought I’d still throw my thoughts in the thread for flattie or anybody else considering a JT, now that I have some time. With respect to flattie’s issues, I can’t say I’ve experienced any of those, thankfully. My start/stop is pretty instantaneous… about on par with my trail boss, and only a tick slower than my wife’s F-150. Certainly not enough of a difference to think much of it. Like others have said, key fob stays in the pocket. Only time I’ve had to push the button with the fob was when I had tried to start it without the key fob (had left it in the house but thought it was in my pocket). Message popped up on the dash that key fob had to be pressed into the button before it would start (for security reasons, it would appear).

As far as cabin space, I’m 6’2” and haven’t had any issues. I normally keep my seat pretty far back, but not at the max, and it’s pretty comfortable for me. And usually have to scoot it up a couple clicks when the 16 month old rides with me (car seat is behind the drivers seat) to give it sufficient clearance to pivot in a crash, and still don’t feel uncomfortable. Then again, this is my third jeep, so maybe I’m just used to it. Certainly not as roomy as our full sized trucks, but still feels roomier than my previous 2 doors.

And sliding or getting loose around corners hasn’t been an issue, but I also have the max tow package, so I’m geared lower and don’t have as much pep as other JTs likely do. My trail boss on the other hand is an automatic for getting loose on corners regardless of road conditions…

All in all, I’m very happy with it. Still miss having a wrangler at times, but the gladiator fits my needs and uses more than the wrangler these days. The only real issue I’ve had with it is an issue I had with my JK as well, but it’s not that big of a deal. The Uconnect system will randomly reset itself, and there is no rhyme or reason to it. At least with the JT, when it does it, I don’t lose presets and audio preferences. Just shuts off and back on again with a startup message while driving (not often, but every now and then). In the Jk, I would have to reprogram everything outside of Bluetooth connection. 

And that cover looks awesome, @smuggs. I’ve been making do with the tri-fold that came on mine (quickly marred it up and put indentions in it from loading my mtbs and other gear on it) but pretty sure I’m going to pull the trigger on one of those sooner than later. Hadn’t see one on a JT yet, but it looks really good. 

I ended up having it about a month iirc. It was very peppy for sure.  I think the fob thing was a low battery, but I never had a chance to change it (or never took the time anyhow). I think at the end of the day, for me, it fell dead square into “it’s a Jeep thing”.  It was pretty good for a rental, but I was ready to get back into my pickup when I got home.  It was considerably nicer than the Jeep I had 20 years ago, for sure.  

• 1 month later...

So, the wife (no pics) recently got a new Jeep 2 Door Rubicon hard top.  It's the most impractical car she's ever had but it's a blast so far.  She's always driven sedans and then grocery getter type SUV's.  (Nissan Murano was the last one.)  She had been looking for awhile (long story) and wasn't particularly looking for a Jeep but we saw it on the lot and pickings were slim otherwise.  I told her if she's gonna get a car, then slam and go hard.  

She only drives around town so there's that.  Loves it for tight spaces/parking lots.  We finally took the top off this past weekend and she loves that, too.  We ended up with a lift and despite being somewhat difficult to put together, it works great.  I can take the top off in 10 minutes and that includes the screws and everything.  

Saw a post up thread about the ducks and that's true.  She came out of the grocery store and found a duck on her door handle.  Had no idea why.  We looked it up on the Inter-Google and there is evidently a Jeep hierarchy and when people see what they think is a cool Jeep, they leave a duck.  (The hierarchy is similar to the wave.)  Basically, the older and more tricked out Jeeps are on top.  The newer and/or tricked out Jeeps are next and then the basic Jeeps are at the bottom, I guess.

Also, including the pic of the lift.  We looked at a motorized one but our garage has an overhead light where that would have gone.

2B19458D-7720-46A9-8C94-2D762D09A807_400

C648C811-C5AE-4298-9635-25B693BC9479.jpeg

5DCF8DFB-C531-419C-B5DD-70CA9FE44946.jpeg

Edited by Aqua Buddha
  • Hook 'Em 3

Looks good, congrats!

My wife had always wanted a Jeep, ever since high school, and when we were ready to get her a new car, she found one she liked and I said "do it."  She was nervous it wouldn't be practical, and mostly it's not, but as you mention it's actually much easier to drive and park downtown and elsewhere where there are narrow or short spaces, so it has its advantages.  Plus it's cooler and a lot more fun to drive than anything else she was considering. 

The picture of your hoist didn't come through, but they're mostly the same.  I installed one in our garage and the first year we yanked the hard top most every weekend.  Since then I installed a soft top that either flips back in "Sunrider" form, to open the top for the driver, or flips ALL the way back, to become a full convertible.  That one works well in the summer, although I might pull it and reinstall the hard top for the winter.  There are some pics upthread, it's a red 4-door Rubicon.

Oh, and you'll also want to set up a space in your garage to store the doors when you yank them! Driving topless and doorless is great!

2 hours ago, utee94 said:

Looks good, congrats!

My wife had always wanted a Jeep, ever since high school, and when we were ready to get her a new car, she found one she liked and I said "do it."  She was nervous it wouldn't be practical, and mostly it's not, but as you mention it's actually much easier to drive and park downtown and elsewhere where there are narrow or short spaces, so it has its advantages.  Plus it's cooler and a lot more fun to drive than anything else she was considering. 

The picture of your hoist didn't come through, but they're mostly the same.  I installed one in our garage and the first year we yanked the hard top most every weekend.  Since then I installed a soft top that either flips back in "Sunrider" form, to open the top for the driver, or flips ALL the way back, to become a full convertible.  That one works well in the summer, although I might pull it and reinstall the hard top for the winter.  There are some pics upthread, it's a red 4-door Rubicon.

Oh, and you'll also want to set up a space in your garage to store the doors when you yank them! Driving topless and doorless is great!

You're right.  It didn't come through.  It did earlier.  Odd.  Here it is in our garage:

305660234_5160447647416843_4756752503828

https://topliftpros.com

Also, glad we got the 2 door.  I always liked the look better and we don't need the extra space.  (I have a 4 Runner so that takes care of that.)  Liked the color, too.  The hard top is the same firecracker red.

1 hour ago, Aqua Buddha said:

You're right.  It didn't come through.  It did earlier.  Odd.  Here it is in our garage:

305660234_5160447647416843_4756752503828

https://topliftpros.com

Also, glad we got the 2 door.  I always liked the look better and we don't need the extra space.  (I have a 4 Runner so that takes care of that.)  Liked the color, too.  The hard top is the same firecracker red.

Cool.  I've got a ceiling-mounted hoist, and the garage has a very high ceiling so it stays completely out of the way.

I actually prefer the look of the 4-door on anything more recent than 2006, but to each his own. :)

Edited by utee94

5 hours ago, utee94 said:

Cool.  I've got a ceiling-mounted hoist, and the garage has a very high ceiling so it stays completely out of the way.

I actually prefer the look of the 4-door on anything more recent than 2006, but to each his own. :)

The two doors have a niche following, we've learned, and Jeep doesn't make that many of them.  They make a lot more 4 doors because that's where the demand is.  I know it's anecdotal, but on the various lots, we didn't see hardly any 4 doors or 2 doors but saw plenty of Gladiators.  Made us wonder if they're having trouble selling them.

• 4 weeks later...

Just joined the Jeep familia. Unmolested 2 dr 2015 JK with 23k miles, a service history. and new tires. Not sure yet what I’m going to do it but it’s primarily gonna be a high schoolers back and forth car so the street rubber will remain for now. Maybe a small lift? What do you all recommend?
Also will likely do “angry eyes” just cuz and a permanent sun shade if anyone has any recs there. 55b5ee13a63a02d80f4ec6fbd0fa6af9.jpg
c3d7d5570232be919ea9f62c59a25373.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After holding on to my Tahoe for 18 years, I just got a Wrangler Sahara 4xe with the sky one touch roof.  Went Sahara instead of Rubicon because I don't really see myself ever going hardcore off-roading.  

Any recommendations as to mods/accessories to consider vs. avoid in your experiences?  Anything from performance-based to purely looks.  One of the things I like about Jeeps is how much people get into customizing them.

TIA

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/27/2022 at 3:02 PM, mdleast said:

After holding on to my Tahoe for 18 years, I just got a Wrangler Sahara 4xe with the sky one touch roof.  Went Sahara instead of Rubicon because I don't really see myself ever going hardcore off-roading.  

Any recommendations as to mods/accessories to consider vs. avoid in your experiences?  Anything from performance-based to purely looks.  One of the things I like about Jeeps is how much people get into customizing them.

TIA

We changed out our stock front bumper for an aftermarket one, and added a winch.  We actually do a fair mount of wheeling/offroading so those made sense for us.  I also installed a soft top with the slant-back, I've always liked how those look.  

The tires are about done so I'll switch from the original 33s to 35s on the next go-- our Rubicon has a slight factory lift and can handle 35s without additional alteration.  Although someday I might add 1.5-2" lift, as well.

If you have any pics of your new ride post 'em up.  I always like looking at Jeeps.

On 12/30/2022 at 12:35 PM, utee94 said:
We changed out our stock front bumper for an aftermarket one, and added a winch.  We actually do a fair mount of wheeling/offroading so those made sense for us.  I also installed a soft top with the slant-back, I've always liked how those look.  
The tires are about done so I'll switch from the original 33s to 35s on the next go-- our Rubicon has a slight factory lift and can handle 35s without additional alteration.  Although someday I might add 1.5-2" lift, as well.
If you have any pics of your new ride post 'em up.  I always like looking at Jeeps.

Here it is. Love how easy it is to open up by simply popping the back windows and hitting the one touch sky roof. I already switched out the antenna for a smaller one and have windguards on the way.

ad61978e03a35b435b1ca23ded53dc5d.jpg

1c07d5738c98c4e380095e0bed0b2bb3.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2

Oh, I also added some rear kicker speakers that mount inside the rollbar and an additional amp to drive them, the sound from the stock soundbar just wasn't loud enough when the hard top is off or the soft top is down.

Edited by utee94
  • Hook 'Em 1

Question for you all. I saw a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 139,000 miles for sale for $25k. Seems a little high, but my question was this: Should I be concerned with the 139k miles? Is reliability on these Jeeps something to worry about? I have enjoyed looking at this thread, y'all are making a strong case for me to get a Jeep!

2 hours ago, Dignan said:

Question for you all. I saw a Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon with 139,000 miles for sale for $25k. Seems a little high, but my question was this: Should I be concerned with the 139k miles? Is reliability on these Jeeps something to worry about? I have enjoyed looking at this thread, y'all are making a strong case for me to get a Jeep!

jeep and reliability are NOT synonymous.

Said as a long time, but former CJ owner.

Year and stats? That seems redic.

On 1/11/2023 at 11:06 AM, Dignan said:

9 hours ago, deft said:

Year and stats? That seems redic.

Seems high, and year and stats would help solve the puzzle, but in general Jeep Wranglers tend to hold their value pretty well.  

And the pandemic/supply chain issues have only exacerbated that over the past couple of years.  It's happened on every make and model of course, and on Jeeps it seems to be even more exaggerated.

We bought our 2017 4-door Rubicon in May 2020 in the midst of the early pandemic, and actually got a good deal, because at the time the dealership had just reopened to the public and they were terrified they wouldn't get any sales.  By the same time the following year, the same Jeep was going for $10K more than what we paid, even given the additional miles we had put on it.  

• 1 month later...

Ok jeep people. I want to create this look for my stock JK 2-door (pictured above) but there’s a shit ton of forums out there and I have no idea where to start. I don’t want a big lift ( if at all) and just want the beefy tires. What am I looking for? I’ll hang up and listen. 9c10df16f4606a6da369fcb1137e24ab.jpg

On 10/30/2022 at 3:57 PM, HiggyBaby said:

Y’all have any recs for forums to follow?

23 minutes ago, HiggyBaby said:

Ok jeep people. I want to create this look for my stock JK 2-door (pictured above) but there’s a shit ton of forums out there and I have no idea where to start. I don’t want a big lift ( if at all) and just want the beefy tires. What am I looking for? I’ll hang up and listen. 9c10df16f4606a6da369fcb1137e24ab.jpg

Sorry, I wasn't ignoring you, I just don't know much about any Jeep forums, though I'm sure there are dozens out there.

I am a member of a Facebook group named "Austin Jeep People" and there are all sorts of people happy to give you their opinions, in that group.

Soon my tires will go from the stock 33s to 35s, looking at Nitto Ridge Grapplers and the like.

4 hours ago, HiggyBaby said:

Ok jeep people. I want to create this look for my stock JK 2-door (pictured above) but there’s a shit ton of forums out there and I have no idea where to start. I don’t want a big lift ( if at all) and just want the beefy tires. What am I looking for? I’ll hang up and listen.

Are you in the Austin area?  If so, go to Baldys Jeep Shop. They can help review you wants and needs and get you started. 

See you on the trail!

DFE7CD53-88C3-46B3-98F4-AAE457B0A1AA.thumb.jpeg.533472236e906a2b0c4fb855efaff3bb.jpegRain rain go away.  Hard to tell but it’s just pouring outside.  Realistically have about 2 more months of this.  I got lazy this winter and didn’t put the hard top on so there she sits for the last 4 months or so. 

some times I just sit in the jeep in the garage with a beer and relax. Lol

Ayyyy man, that was my jam in my old doorless xj. Sitting in there having a beer on a Saturday afternoon when it was raining out. Garage stereo cranking out some willie or what have you. Good times.

I do take umbrage, however, with you spending money on the poison spyder fenders but using plain old all terrains.

Noice. What size?

Also, lockers will make it kick that much more ass. Even some lunch box lockers would work fine but it looks like you’ve probably got enough coin wrapped up in this to go full carrier lockers for more strength and better control (electric, pneumatic).

On 3/16/2023 at 10:18 PM, Frank Erwin said:

What is the best source/site for old (80s era parts and add ons?  Currently rehabbing my Grandads 82 Scrambler

90729AFE-92F6-4A32-8A50-E98E9BD0E40D.jpeg

If you are near Houston, Pasadena 4x4 on Beverly is a good choice.  Dude that runs it is a flake, but knowledgeable and has everything.  What are you looking for?

On 3/19/2023 at 4:36 PM, Bevo&Pevo said:

If you are near Houston, Pasadena 4x4 on Beverly is a good choice.  Dude that runs it is a flake, but knowledgeable and has everything.  What are you looking for?

I'm in Fort Worth, but looking for a rear bench seat, bikini top, trim kit, and rear spare tire holder

• 2 weeks later...

^^ For starters, Collins Bros are in the metroplex area.  Ebay and Craigslist (don't forget to do a statewide search) are always good places to look. I've used Phoenix Graphics before on a CJ7 project.  The guys on the jeep forum would probably have some resources also.  I know for a fact there is dude that goes by gert on that forum who is in your area.  He is pretty active on the site.  There is a place (salvage yard) out in California, can't remember the name that has a lot of Jeep parts. 

Rudy's Classic Jeeps LLC - Jeep CJ, Original 76-86 Rot Free Jeep CJs and Restoration Parts (rudys-cjs.com)

Phoenix Graphix: Car Auto Decals Graphics, Factory Restoration Stickers 

CJ Build Forum | Jeep-CJ.com

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 months later...

Traded in my Mojave yesterday.  I'll miss it, but it's just too underpowered, and it was VERY noticeable driving at highway speeds through the Hill Country (also 16mpg on the highway wtf man).  They really need to put that 392 in them to make up for the massive weight.  

Mojave.jpg

They definitely look super cool though.   For my future Jeep fix, I'm just going to get an old 2 door, throw any doors or tops in the trash, and just use it for fun stuff and all that.

Edited by MadBurgerMaker
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, MadBurgerMaker said:

Traded in my Mojave yesterday.  I'll miss it, but it's just too underpowered, and it was VERY noticeable driving at highway speeds through the Hill Country (also 16mpg on the highway wtf man).  They really need to put that 392 in them to make up for the massive weight. 

I'm assuming you had the 3.6L V6 but the JT also has the 3L turbo diesel available.  Do you think the extra torque from the 3L turbo-diesel would have helped driving through the hill country?  

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

I'm assuming you had the 3.6L V6 but the JT also has the 3L turbo diesel available.  Do you think the extra torque from the 3L turbo-diesel would have helped driving through the hill country?  

Probably wouldn't hurt, but I don't really know anything about that diesel motor.  I assume it would at least help with towing and mpg numbers, so at least maybe that part wouldn't just piss you off when you saw it.  The 392 might be a little TOO much, but it really needs some help in pretty much every "engine" category.   

I really like that truck, but since we're going to be doing more travelling around these days, it just didn't make sense to keep it when the replacement (F-150 Lariat FX4 with the 3.5 hybrid) is so much better for so many things.