EPL 2018-19

Goo Punch

32 minutes ago, MoJames said:
6 hours ago, Goo Punch said:
also, selling courtois for 40 and signing some guy with one really good year at a smaller club for 80 is hilarious. 

Ya it's almost as bad as letting Alexis go on a free.

we swapped him for Micki who's been better than Alexis since then, so...

Edited by Goo Punch

56 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

we swapped him for Micki who's been better than Alexis since then, so...

Doesn't matter in the least anyway as we were discussing transfer business.

Player A is worth this much, Team A got this much for him, lol

15 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Doesn't matter in the least anyway as we were discussing transfer business.

Player A is worth this much, Team A got this much for him, lol

yeah, not sure i follow your logic here. losing £40M to downgrade at keeper somehow equals swapping players and getting a great player in return? we've had a dozen worse transfer deals in the last few years. 

19 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

yeah, not sure i follow your logic here. losing £40M to downgrade at keeper somehow equals swapping players and getting a great player in return? we've had a dozen worse transfer deals in the last few years. 

I didn't expect you to follow it to be honest.

• Like 3

the way you guys talk out of your asses and then rep each other like you're all in some club together is so gay. you say incorrect/nonsensical things, insult me and my responses, then laugh and high five each other. it's a running joke in this thread. 

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

19 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Liverpool lost Emre Can on a free transfer,

arsenal did not lose alexis Sanchez on a free transfer. 

True, it was a swap, but they lost around 40 mil on the transfer.

End of the day Tbo is a piece of shit and handled his business publicly the entire time he was a Chelsea player.  Going back to his loan at Atletico stating he wanted to stay in Madrid a 3rd year, and his first year in London stating he would return to Madrid.  The guy is unprofessional and his replacement is not an unproven keeper. He is only second behind De Gea on the Spanish National Team. Real Madrid approached him earlier this year and after it became apparent Tbo was heading that way, Real backed off. I don't know if he will be as good as Tbo in 2-3 years, but it will be nice to have a keeper between the posts that gives a shit about his club team.

• Like 1

seriously, the rep on this page speaks volumes, and frankly i'm tired of biting my tongue over this bizarro world dynamic we have here. i don't talk shit to people in this thread, i don't start shit with anyone in this thread, i keep it pretty chill and make some pretty innocuous/cheeky comments. no different from my posts in the mlb thread.

however, the mlb thread doesn't have this retarded goof troop of losers who run around acting like morons and then jerking each other off over it. a bunch of fat, dumb, mouth breathing, o doyle rules looking and acting losers pouring pudding on the thread's head or stuffing cow shit in its locker and then high fiving each other over how cool they are.

you don't know what you're talking about, and you literally cannot stop yourselves from reflexively arguing with/talking shit to me, but no worries, because there's six of you and one of me, so no matter what you guys can just laugh and rep each other and have a gay old time. it's pathetic and completely regarded.

fact: we did not let alexis go on a free

fact: alexis struggled at united while micki was arguably arsenal's second best player

fact: losing courtois and then spending double the money on an inferior replacement is not analogous to swapping players and getting a viable/better player in return. alexis was toxic to our locker room anyway, further making the deals not the same.

Edited by Goo Punch
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

fact: we did not let alexis go on a free

fact: alexis struggled at united while micki was arguably arsenal's second best player

fact: losing courtois and then spending double the money on an inferior replacement is not analogous to swapping players and getting a viable/better player in return. alexis was toxic to our locker room anyway, further making the deals not the same.

1. Yep, my bad I corrected to the much much much better swap scenario where you got a player worth about 30mil for a guy worth about 70mil

2. Using this argument to compare the two transactions is not analogous when discussing the Kepa Tbo scenario as we have not had the chance to watch Kepa and Tbo perform at their new clubs.

3. Again, you cannot use this argument as at the time, outside of you Derka, no one thought it was a good swap and I would bet most Arsenal fans are not as high on Wilshire Micki currently.

I vote we re-evaluate this argument after we have a good sample size as to where Kepa ranks as I don't think any of us have watched him play.

Past that CFC's board did a fuck up job with Tbo, I will give you that.  We should've decided on him last summer and sold him off to Real Madrid. The 80mil price tag was simply the buy out clause as Bilboa won't negotiate and put it in his contract after Real Madrid backed off.

edit - Tbo was just as toxic if not more than Alexis.

Edited by MoJames

Mou's 3rd year at manure is starting out as expected.

Guardian on Mou vs Manure

Manchester United did not follow through with some of José Mourinho’s transfer targets because of misgivings about the players he had identified and a decision, from the top of the club, that he should not be allowed to get his way if it meant potentially wasting tens of millions of pounds on a short-term fix.

As the transfer window closed on Thursday with no more arrivals at Old Trafford, new details have emerged that highlight the differences between an increasingly disaffected manager and the people above him, primarily the executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, in terms of the players on Mourinho’s wishlist and whether they would have been worth the money.

To Mourinho’s intense irritation, United’s conclusion was that in most cases he had targeted defenders who were no better than those they already had and who, in today’s inflated market, could conceivably have cost upwards of £70m without vastly improving the team.

Mourinho’s enthusiasm for Harry Maguire was not shared by the Old Trafford decision-makers and when the club approached Leicester they were put off by the kind of fee that would have been necessary to sign the England international in the wake of Virgil van Dijk’s £75m transfer from Southampton to Liverpool last season.

The interest in Maguire was abandoned and, for all the speculation linking Toby Alderweireld with Old Trafford, the truth is there has been only one conversation between Woodward and the Tottenham Hotspur chairman, Daniel Levy, throughout the summer. That was Levy calling Woodward to ask about two of United’s players, one being Anthony Martial. Woodward wants to keep Martial and that, again, is a serious issue between club and manager.

Mourinho was willing to cut Martial free and, behind the scenes, he has been withering in his assessment of the player.

The suspicion of United’s hierarchy is the manager is taking a short‑term view rather than thinking more strategically about what would be better for the club in the coming years. Alderweireld will turn 30 in March and, as well as a huge transfer fee, would have warranted a salary in the region of £25m over the next four years. United decided the player was not worth such a huge outlay, particularly given his age.

Mourinho sees things differently and can argue that, without new signings, it is unrealistic to expect his team to overhaul Manchester City. He made that point in a press conference on Thursday by stating United’s second-placed finish last season, 19 points behind City, was “one of my biggest achievements in the game”.

Yet the club have had to balance the manager’s wishes, and the permanent battle to keep him happy, by taking into account Mourinho is notorious for wanting short-term measures, rarely stays too long at any club and does not tend to worry about what happens when he leaves. Their own vision of team-building is considerably different and that is why Woodward is against selling players such as Martial, Paul Pogba and Luke Shaw when they could conceivably be an asset to the club for many years.

United did have significant money available for summer signings and would have paid in excess of £100m for Raphaël Varane if the French World Cup winner had been available from Real Madrid. Woodward had breakfast with Real’s president, Florentino Pérez, over the summer but nothing came of it.

Woodward was also willing to make an exception for Diego Godín of Atlético Madrid and inquired about the Uruguayan’s £18m release clause this week. The money was considered reasonable for a player of Godín’s ability but the 32-year-old was reluctant to leave Spain and another deal was scratched off the list.

Otherwise, United were reluctant to spend vast amounts of money on players they did not consider to be elite performers. Jérôme Boateng of Bayern Munich would once have appealed and Mourinho was keen on the Germany international. However, Boateng’s injury record counted against him, especially as United were mindful they had already bought two players from Bayern, Owen Hargreaves and Bastian Schweinsteiger, whose time at Old Trafford was notable for how many games they missed.

Mourinho’s desire to bring in another centre-half indicates he has misgivings about Chris Smalling, Phil Jones, Victor Lindelöf and Eric Bailly, despite the latter two being his own signings.

Yerry Mina was another possibility but United were put off by what they considered to be excessive agent fees. The sum in question is not clear but must be significant: United will say in private they hope Everton, who have signed the player from Barcelona, have not paid the same, on the basis it could seriously distort the fees demanded by agents in future.

The irony is that United helped to create that market by routinely flexing their financial muscle and, in the case of Pogba’s £93m transfer from Juventus, the mind-boggling sums that went to the player’s adviser, Mino Raiola. Alexis Sánchez’s contract – £391,000 a week with an extra £75,000 for every game he plays and an annual £1.1m signing-on fee – is another indication of how far the club are willing to go when a category-A player is available.

Yet United blame other clubs for the transfer market spiralling and trace it back to Kyle Walker’s £53m move from Spurs to Manchester City last summer. Neymar’s £200m switch to Paris Saint-Germain took the market to another level entirely, but the view at Old Trafford is that the most outlandish deal was Barcelona signing Ousmane Dembélé from Borussia Dortmund for a fee that could rise to over £135m. United believe Van Dijk’s fee will not seem disproportionate within a year but, with the prices currently so inflated, the club do not want to pay similar amounts unless their targets are at a certain level – higher, plainly, than Maguire or Alderweireld.

Perhaps surprisingly, United are not among the clubs – Spurs being one – who are regretting the early closure of the transfer window and the feeling at Old Trafford is that the rest of Europe will eventually fall in line.

The bigger problem for United is how the summer’s transfer business affects the club’s relationship with Mourinho when the only signings are Fred from Shakhtar Donetsk, the injured Diogo Dalot from Porto and Lee Grant, as a third-choice goalkeeper from Stoke.

Mourinho has so many players ruled out of the game against Leicester on Friday, or not deemed fully fit after their post-World Cup breaks, he floated the idea the substitutes may include “16-year-old boys without experience”. On this occasion, however, he chose not to question the club’s transfer activity. It was time, he said, to “stop thinking about the market”, insisting he was going to enjoy the season and it was “a lie” to say he did not get on with his players.

Unlike his first two seasons in Manchester, Mourinho stopped noticeably short of talking up United as potential champions but his spikiest moment, presumably with Liverpool in mind, was directed towards the media for “making people that finish second look like they were relegated and people who win nothing, finishing below us, look like serial winners”.

Manure? Really?  I've never heard that one before, but it's sad.  

So happy the PL is back.  Let's get this shit on!  

Alexis was horrible last season.  He is the greatest of all time doing the same thing over and over.  Get ball out wide left, immediately cut inside, kill all space in the middle, stop flow of attack, then run like mad to gain back possession.  At least he hustles I guess.  

I miss Mika, but Jose didn't like him and he wasn't happy.  Sucks. The deal was kind of a wash to me.  This whole squad will have to be changed again when Jose leaves.  

Watch him without the ball at other times instead of just after he loses possession.  He consistently ranked in the last 2 or 3 players in ground covered at Arsenal, even though his behavior was exactly what you describe.

Edit to add: he also did score a lot of goals for us, initially at least.

Edited by drt

fivethirtyeight's predictions for all leagues.

45% chance of Man City winning PL. Juventus with 49% chance of winning Serie A. BM and PSG overwhelming favourites. RM and Barca about equal to win La Liga.

Article on EPL

If you’re hoping that the upcoming season will offer some vicissitude at the top of the table, don’t hold your breath: According to our Premier League predictions, Manchester City is a good bet to repeat as champions. And the five spaces below the Citizens will likely be occupied by — you guessed it! — Liverpool, Tottenham, Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United. After we ran 20,000 simulated seasons, the closest any team got to the top six was Crystal Palace — still 16 points off the pace.

PremierLeague.png?w=1024

Edited by MoJames