2022 Summer Transfer Window

MoJames

19 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Spurs looking to fill the Chelsea gap.

What makes people think Todd Boehly won't be spending money? I have no clue honestly, but all the statements have been about continuing to upgrade the squad and stadium while holding onto Tuchel.

2 minutes ago, MoJames said:

What makes people think Todd Boehly won't be spending money? I have no clue honestly, but all the statements have been about continuing to upgrade the squad and stadium while holding onto Tuchel.

There hasn’t been an American/English owner that has spent anywhere near as recklessly as the oligarch and sovereign wealth funded teams. So Boehly would be the first that is unconcerned with huge losses. 

This was the quote from Chelsea’s financial statement when they posted a £145M loss last fiscal year:

Chelsea’s accounts state they are “reliant on Fordstam Limited for its continued financial support”. The company is owned by Roman Abramovich, and has indicated it will continue to support the club “for the foreseeable future”.

I guess it all boils down to how the transfer of ownership handles the debt. At no point has Roman suggested he is interested in collecting on the debt accrued.

If that changes who knows, but if not, with the revenue being produced in the EPL and Champions League, I don't see the money being spent changing as drastically as some see it.

Quite a bit has changed since Roman joined the league regarding revenues.

Soccer show in Dallas said it's a smart move for Mbappe because Madrid will still be there for him later. Why get locked into a long term with Madrid at such a young age? He'll only be at PSG for a few more years and can then make his move to Madrid after. 

Thomas Tuchel to receive £200m summer war chest as Todd Boehly's Chelsea takeover edges closer

• The Boehly-led consortium want to send a signal that they are serious about eventually catching City and Liverpool in the Premier League

• Todd Boehly is ready to hand Chelsea head coach Thomas Tuchel £200million to spend this summer with his takeover on the brink of completion after the Premier League formally announced he had passed its ownership checks.

• Factoring in some anticipated player sales, Tuchel is expected to have around £200m at his disposal in the transfer market once the UK Government and European Commission rubber stamp the £4.25billion deal.

• Jules Kounde and Josko Gvardiol both sit near the top of an eight-man list of defensive targets drawn up by Chelsea.

• Kounde is expected to move to Stamford Bridge 12 months after seeing a transfer to Chelsea fall through after Sevilla moved the goalposts on a deal. He would solve the club’s problem on the right side of Tuchel’s back three.

• Other than defenders, Tuchel could try to sign a new midfielder and has made it clear he needs to look at his attack but incoming business in both of those positions may be impacted by departures.

• Romelu Lukaku and his representatives will speak to Tuchel and Chelsea’s new owners about the Belgian’s future, while the German is expected to allow Marcos Alonso to leave if the club’s valuation of the left-back is matched. Barcelona have been linked with a move for Alonso.

• Other than moving quickly in the transfer window, Chelsea’s new owners will start work on new contract offers for Mason Mount, who won the club’s player of the year award, Reece James and possibly goalkeeper Edouard Mendy.

• Tuchel has made it clear that Chelsea will have to act quickly and decisively once the club are able to trade normally under their new ownership and Boehly, who spoke to the German and the squad after the final-day victory over Watford, is determined to do just that.

Edited by MoJames

Translation - he won't accept a transfer and likely won't a sign a deal he doesn't like.

That all said, I don't see how he isn't at Liverpool for a number of years more, unless Liverpool just absolutely won't come to him with a reasonable offer*. I mean the situation is perfect for him, Liverpool appears to be a perennial contender for just about every piece of hardware for the foreseeable future. He SHOULD be paid well for his efforts.

*"reasonable" - It was mentioned by a 'pool fan in the Spurs thread that Son's a good dude, I think Salah is too. I think he wants "respectable" money, I don't see him expecting to make ridiculous demands for pay. He might start on the edge of that, but I expect he is going to accept something that is reasonable market value. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

Translation - he won't accept a transfer and likely won't a sign a deal he doesn't like.

That all said, I don't see how he isn't at Liverpool for a number of years more, unless Liverpool just absolutely won't come to him with a reasonable offer*. I mean the situation is perfect for him, Liverpool appears to be a perennial contender for just about every piece of hardware for the foreseeable future. He SHOULD be paid well for his efforts.

*"reasonable" - It was mentioned by a 'pool fan in the Spurs thread that Son's a good dude, I think Salah is too. I think he wants "respectable" money, I don't see him expecting to make ridiculous demands for pay. He might start on the edge of that, but I expect he is going to accept something that is reasonable market value. 

I think if Mbappe left PSG than they would have tried to money whip Salah (big North African fan base), but I agree with you his best fit is staying at Liverpool. 

We do take a new-age Moneyball approach with contracts for players in their 30’s (although Salah and Mane are in insane shape) so it wouldn’t surprise me if 2/3 of Mane-Salah-Firmino are gone by the start of 23-24. 

53 minutes ago, MoJames said:

Out of curiosity I looked up weekly wages and could only find a reliable EPL one. Salah is right around 15, but damn the top 5 surprised me.

image.png.7c0fa5c996c04646bede3763c183bd0f.png

You're surprised that Man U's leadership stupidly overpay for a bunch of guys?  Or is my sarcasm meter off?

I'm actually surprised KDB is on that list instead of taking a lower salary and getting a cut of that sweet, sweet oil money under the table.  

On 5/24/2022 at 11:42 AM, mdmost said:

Soccer show in Dallas said it's a smart move for Mbappe because Madrid will still be there for him later. Why get locked into a long term with Madrid at such a young age? He'll only be at PSG for a few more years and can then make his move to Madrid after. 

yep.  and they said the same about Haaland, which is even more true because he's younger than Mbappe.  Haaland can stay at City for 3 years, finally win something, then go to Madrid at 24.

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Haaland has a 5 year deal with a £150M+ release clause. He doesn’t have much bargaining room for leaving in 3 years unless he wants to leave and someone pays the £150M

He's also always wanted to be at City, not everyone dreams of playing at Real. Right now the EPL is the league to be at, not La Liga. 

5 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

What’s his contract status? Would this be a transfer or a free?

Never-mind, I realized the €30m is the transfer fee, not the contract. 

Next year it would be a free transfer. Same with Salah. I always figured Mane would be the first to go. We'll see as he does have contract extension on the table with Liverpool. I honestly thought Madrid or Barcelona would overpay for him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Next year it would be a free transfer. Same with Salah. I always figured Mane would be the first to go. We'll see as he does have contract extension on the table with Liverpool. I honestly thought Madrid or Barcelona would overpay for him. 

Early days. He's not going for less than £40M

1 hour ago, midtown said:

I think most people are missing the reason that Mbappe stays at PSG has more to do with him being able to play an extremely easy domestic schedule which probably adds years to his longevity.   

No, I'm going with the fact that he's getting around $90 MILLION a year to play soccer for the next few years.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, midtown said:

I think most people are missing the reason that Mbappe stays at PSG has more to do with him being able to play an extremely easy domestic schedule which probably adds years to his longevity.   

Good point. Also, he won't have to play any games after the Champions League quarterfinals adding even more years to his longevity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3