2022 PGA Championship at Southern Hills

48 minutes ago, Texas St. Armadillos said:

15 wins, but you're point is still valid.  20 wins is no doubter.  He'll get there pretty quickly I assume.

16 PGA, 3 Euro

34 minutes ago, conVINCEd said:

The Chilean dude will feel a little better when he checks the balance in his checking account.

He should always be ridiculed for pulling out driver on 18. Not as big a meltdown as Van de Velde but both incredibly stupid decisions by fuzzy little foreigners. 

2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Because he shot 5 over on Friday and Saturday to take himself out of contention and one single Sunday four-hole, -4 stretch to back door to #8?  What he did was textbook Rory over the last several years. Play yourself out of contention because you’re just not that good anymore and with one unsustainable little mini-run, get people to say “wow look at Rory!” without ever having a legitimate chance.  He’s irrelevant. 

I don't understand what you're so mad about.

13 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I dont think the club was the issue as much as the swing. Go back and watch the video. Grade A broccoli chopping on that one. Surprised he didn’t need a chiropractor.

this. It's a 500 yard par 4.  he needed par to win.  you can't just pull out 3 wood and make par.  It didn't matter what club he had in his hand.  He succumbed to the pressure. It was a classic "just don't hit it in the water on the right...oh shit" block.  It happens. the guy is a PGA tour rookie.

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't understand what you're so mad about.

I’m not. What I said should be pretty easy to grasp, though. Apparently not. 

20 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I dont think the club was the issue as much as the swing. Go back and watch the video. Grade A broccoli chopping on that one. Surprised he didn’t need a chiropractor.

1 minute ago, dcar00 said:

this. It's a 500 yard par 4.  he needed par to win.  you can't just pull out 3 wood and make par.  It didn't matter what club he had in his hand.  He succumbed to the pressure. It was a classic "just don't hit it in the water on the right...oh shit" block.  It happens. the guy is a PGA tour rookie.

That’s absurd. He’d hit a 3 wood 300 yards and MUCH more accurately. 

1 hour ago, Porterhouse said:

That’s absurd. He’d hit a 3 wood 300 yards and MUCH more accurately. 

What's absurd is thinking he hits a 3wood 300 yds.  He'd have to swing out of his shoes to do that.  He just choked.  It was sad to see cuz he seems like a cool guy, but that follow through looked like my swing.

Edited by Sbbruin

He's trying to manufacture a shot and just didn't pull it off. He's practiced that shot with that ugly follow through and it's worked in the past. He's clearly comfortable with it. Just didn't work on 18, that's golf. 

Ugly follow through doesn't mean he messed up - #1 in the world has some of most horrendous follow throughs I've ever seen from a pro. Sometimes these exaggerations are needed to get the club head and plane in the right spot for a particular shot shape. Not everyone can have Adam Scott level control.

I agree with that. But he still fucked up. Not because he didn’t pull off the shot, that’s golf. 

Because he chose the wrong shot type. The shape was fine, but he tried to keep it lower with that punchy/knockdown chop. Worked well in the wind, but more risk with a lot less wind.

Less wind, came too far back right, and kerplunk.

Smarter play was obviously put it in the short grass clean, hit the green, and two putt for the win. Rookie mistake, which was too bad. He seems like a good person and he’ll be there some day.

I was not disappointed to see JT hold on and take it home. One of those play your best and let the strokes add up at the end of the day.

Will had his shot. He’ll get there too. The tour has a lot of great personalities, some are fading a bit, but new ones are coming along that will keep it interesting for a long time.