Mirrorless cameras

I have a Canon EOS t3i that's about 12 years old and I'm looking to replace. I use it mostly for outdoors stuff, travel, landscapes, people, pets, etc. I don't care about video capabilities because I have an iPhone or a Gopro for that.

It seems like mirrorless cameras are pretty popular now and have the upside of being smaller and lighter than a traditional DSLR, yet still have good image quality and interchangeable lenses.

There are tons of options out there - Canon M50 Mark II, Nikon Z50, Fujifilm, Sony, etc. Not really sure where to begin. Would like to spend $1200 or less for the camera with a kit lens. Can add other lenses later as needed.

Thanks for any recs. 

On 5/16/2022 at 12:52 PM, wild_turkey said:

Canon M50 Mark II,

dead system. unless you get some smashing deal on it i wouldn't bother.

sony is probably going to be the cheapest to kit out a system, in part because they've been at the mirrorless game longer than most (so, more models), and also because they opened it up to 3rd party lens suppliers.  lots of used stuff out there too.  autofocus and tracking are top notch.

fuji always seems somewhat pricey to me but lot of people love their kit. 

the canon R and nikon Z systems are too new for much used stuff to be around.   you could just squeeze a canon RP into that budget with a refurb, though.