Prey (Predator vs Comanche)

NorthLoop

On 5/22/2022 at 9:55 PM, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I feel like they kinda missed the opportunity to toss some horsemanship in there, given they are Comanche and all. But, yeah, in.

Agreed. I only noticed one shot of horses in the trailer, but they were just running in the background. All the sequences of fighting, hunting, and scouting had the Comanches on foot. Which is like making a movie about the British Empire where they don’t have any boats.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

They didn't have horses until the Spaniards brought them. 

According to Wiki, this movie takes place in 1719. Plains Indians acquired horses shorty after (and as a result of) the Pueblo Uprising, which occurred in 1680. 

On 7/20/2022 at 8:14 AM, BrickHorn said:

Agreed. I only noticed one shot of horses in the trailer, but they were just running in the background. All the sequences of fighting, hunting, and scouting had the Comanches on foot. Which is like making a movie about the British Empire where they don’t have any boats.

*ships

• 2 weeks later...

Preface this by saying my knowledge of Comanches is limited to what I read in Fehrenbach's book...

Why are they showing Comanches on the Northern Plains when they were a Southern Plains tribe?

And who is supposed to be leaving steel traps and skinning buffalo in 1719? The French?

Nitpicky, yes.

17 minutes ago, demos said:

Preface this by saying my knowledge of Comanches is limited to what I read in Fehrenbach's book...

Why are they showing Comanches on the Northern Plains when they were a Southern Plains tribe?

And who is supposed to be leaving steel traps and skinning buffalo in 1719? The French?

Nitpicky, yes.

The Comanches actually came from the Northwest.  They were pushed by other tribes all the way down to Texas and were a rather weak tribe until they got horses.  Then they took all of that pent up anger out on everyone.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 2

Just now, kevwun said:

The Comanches actually came from the Pacific Northwest.  They were pushed by other tribes all the way down to Texas.  They were bullied mercilessly by other tribes until they got horses.  Then they took all of that pent up anger out on everyone.

Yes (kinda like the Apaches), but my understanding was they were already established in the Southern Plains by 1700s.  Could be wrong about that. Like I said, the only thing I've read about them is Fehrenbach's book (which was a great read).

• Hook 'Em 1

25 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Really enjoyed it. May be my 2nd favorite predator flick. 

Comanche Nation should be proud.

So cool that the cast and many behind the scenes were Native American. Wish it could have been in theaters. Would like to see the Comanche dubbed version. That girl is a breakout star for sure and it’s absolutely worth seeing. 

Spoiler

Also the Predator reveal…nice touch and fucking creepy. With the bear. 

• Hook 'Em 2

So is her axe supposed to be metal or stone? Because if it is metal, I'm not sure that there are any examples of axe heads like that in any historical records. If it was stone, it would have shattered in the first scene. Also, thats not how you sharpen a flint edge.

Fun movie, but my interest in the period kind of makes some of these "little" things stand out. I will say I think they showed a decent job at showing the Comanches in a sort of transition period where they were just starting to aquire horses to become the tribe that we think of today, even if there was one scene with a clearly modern saddle that didn't exist for another 100 years minimum.

It’s so re-watchable. It’s definitely worth the 97 minutes of your time. A couple of inaccuracies aside, I think it’s a wonderful thing for Native Americans. To be pretty much the whole cast and behind the scenes. It also helps the writer(s) and Director are huge fans of Predator (and the second one) and put in some Easter Eggs for us fans. Girl is going to be a huge star. So pleased with it. It really is a sprawling film that deserves a theatrical release but I think it will energize the franchise and sort of take the stink out of the other ones that came out. I loved it.

• Hook 'Em 1

I loved all the homage paid to Predator and Predator 2. I dug the end of Predator 2 when they give Glover that gun. And the part where Gary Busey says “a fucking alien!” But I can’t find a good gifmeme for that. Plenty of Predator stuff…but Sonny Landham was the best: “We’re all gonna die.” Need that gif/meme. 

I liked that she was a believable character in Prey. 

Spoiler

A great Final Girl type of deal in that she wasn’t some invincible perfect heroine. Just did what needed to be done when it counted. I love the bear skull stuff. It really honored Predator in the best possible way while also acknowledging the sequel and the ones that came after. Leaving the door open for another Prey sequel while not turning its nose up at the movies that followed Predator.

2 hours ago, Parliament said:

A Predator movie set in Iraq in 2004 or so would be money.

Since they rebooted with 1719…I’d like to see them go straight into 1700’s America and still follow the girl as she goes to the east coast. But also as a back story in that movie talk about Roanoke Island in flash backs.

Narrator: “Historians have posited that the colonists of Roanoke went to live with the Native Americans or were captured by Spaniards. Or some freak nature event. Wrong. It was a fucking alien. Croatoan. By now you should know what that means…” cue Predator music…

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

stay simple.

watched it last night, excellent. Just what you want out of a Predator movie.

And you know who was a good boy?

prey-trailer-009.jpg 

That dog is a Carolina dog named Coco. The director said she was always happy and running around in circles excited to see everyone on the set. They used every bit of footage they could of her making her marks for the film. Pretty cool.

Article about dog in film (putting it in spoilers just in case):

8 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Since they rebooted with 1719…I’d like to see them go straight into 1700’s America and still follow the girl as she goes to the east coast. But also as a back story in that movie talk about Roanoke Island in flash backs.

Narrator: “Historians have posited that the colonists of Roanoke went to live with the Native Americans or were captured by Spaniards. Or some freak nature event. Wrong. It was a fucking alien. Croatoan. By now you should know what that means…” cue Predator music…

Oh man, every unexplained disappearance in history, predators:

Roanoke … predators

Jimmy Hoffa … predators

Lost Army of Cambyses … predators

• Hook 'Em 3

24 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

I could get on board with Mack being a face hugger, a predator?

The predator in this scenario just became a player on any team in our conference…even…Kansas when we were playing them. 

back to other mysteries…the Mary Celeste, that shit that happened on Everest…DB Cooper…Amelia Earhart…

https://www.livescience.com/55591-unsolved-deaths-and-disappearances.html

it would be awesome if they could somehow put the Predator at the Alamo…say…

Narrator: “These brave men were NOT defeated by Santa Anna’s army…that’s what he told you. It was a fucking alien.”

…cue music..

I know that would really be a cool Traces of Texas tweet for @Hornius Emeritus

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Was excited to see this and it didn’t disappoint.

Quick bit I found. It was straight to Hulu for a big reason… Disney buying 2th century Fox. All the movies prior to purchase had the agreement that if they went to theater then they had to release on HBO max also. Disney said nah fuck that with this movie specifically and said we’ll just launch it on stream via Hulu(where they put rated R movies like Deadpool) to help boost subs since they liked it so much.

test before I put the spoilers in

• Hook 'Em 1

I like that they addressed the trappers as being French, that was what I said when they showed the Buffalo… “they better be French!”
I also like that they addressed the Comanche lack of horses with Taabe saying “I need to get me one of those!”

I also really like that they gave Taabe a good Comanche death. He went to work on the Pred before he died. Kinda like I woulda expected Billy’s death to be in Predator.

They did a pretty dang good job showing the relatively rudimentary armor and weaponry of the predator as well. From the early stages of his faceplate along with the HUD he was using. Same with his weapons and holy crap that wrist shield was viscous!

It did the Comanche right.

And also the end art during the credits is worth sticking around for if you didn’t. It does show that basically right after the movie cuts away, 3 ships come down and meet the Comanche. This could be alluding to the Comanche rise to power as they begin to head south.

• Hook 'Em 2

20 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

Enjoyed it. Predator,Predators,Predator 2 and then Prey. Last two can be swapped but nostalgia keeps Predator 2 up there

Predator 2 kicks all sorts of ass. Too old for this shit Glover, over the top Busey, Paxton...

I love it. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

I’d put it right behind Predators and P2, obviously the OG is a first ballot hall of famer.

Loved the dog. It was good but I don’t think it will be as rewatchable for me as Predators, mostly because outside of Amber Midthunder the cast was kinda boring, and the NA dialogue seemed too anachronistic vs something like Last of the Mohicans.

But holy cow was it pretty. Best wilderness scenery since The Revenant. And I liked how they used one of the bigger species from Predators instead of the OG species from the first two movies, and they didn’t have all the technology they had in the later films.

The gun was total fan service (and you could see it coming a mile away) and it kind of doesn’t make sense. Do the predators come back and wipe them all out and hang on to it for a couple hundred years?

Very solid streaming movie. Action was good. Amber was good but I’m not sure I buy her as a badass Comanche warrior (which there certainly were in history).

2 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Hide contents

I like that they addressed the trappers as being French, that was what I said when they showed the Buffalo… “they better be French!”
I also like that they addressed the Comanche lack of horses with Taabe saying “I need to get me one of those!”

I also really like that they gave Taabe a good Comanche death. He went to work on the Pred before he died. Kinda like I woulda expected Billy’s death to be in Predator.

They did a pretty dang good job showing the relatively rudimentary armor and weaponry of the predator as well. From the early stages of his faceplate along with the HUD he was using. Same with his weapons and holy crap that wrist shield was viscous!

It did the Comanche right.

And also the end art during the credits is worth sticking around for if you didn’t. It does show that basically right after the movie cuts away, 3 ships come down and meet the Comanche. This could be alluding to the Comanche rise to power as they begin to head south.

Spoiler

The French trappers bit may have been the worst part from a historical perspective.

1. I don't recall their being a huge trade in Buffalo robes that early

2. They obtained just as much if not more of their furs through trading with the natives versus doing it themselves at that time (why expend a bunch of effort trapping, when you can get someone else to do it for you for what basically amounts to a few trinkets?)

3. Randomly placed leghold traps? They were trapping fur bearing species that don't just wander around the woods randomly. Their traps would have been associated with waterways and game trails. And not visually disguised much because those critters didn't really know to avoid them.

Spoiler

The French trappers bit may have been the worst part from a historical perspective.
1. I don't recall their being a huge trade in Buffalo robes that early
2. They obtained just as much if not more of their furs through trading with the natives versus doing it themselves at that time (why expend a bunch of effort trapping, when you can get someone else to do it for you for what basically amounts to a few trinkets?)
3. Randomly placed leghold traps? They were trapping fur bearing species that don't just wander around the woods randomly. Their traps would have been associated with waterways and game trails. And not visually disguised much because those critters didn't really know to avoid them.

Yeah I always thought I learned that the robe trade was worst in the early 1800’s with the French and everyone else…

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Yeah I always thought I learned that the robe trade was worst in the early 1800’s with the French and everyone else…

It was more mid 1800's when the Buffalo robe (plu bone and everything else eventually) trade really kicked off. The beaver trade started declining in the late 1830's, with the last rendezvous in 1840 I believe. Beaver was still being trapped, but fashions in Europe started drifting away from beaver hats and more towards silk hats, and at the same time there were more and more trading posts established on the frontier. During all this time, Europeans were trapping out the areas, but there were still plenty of natives trading for furs as well. As beaver fell out of favor in Europe,  American immigrants were crossing the country, and buffaloes robes grew in demand. And it wasn't the French who were supplying them. It was mostly Anglo Europeans with a smattering of native help.