She Hulk - Disney+ series

mdmost

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

Let's see. Spider-Man starts out arrogant, acts like an asshole, ignores his uncle's advice which ends up getting said uncle killed, and grows in the process. Thor is an arrogant God who is cast out by his father and has to learn humility to be worthy of his powers. What? Character growth? The very thing I was talking about that Ms. Marvel had by not being awesome from the get go. Hulk was just a shitty movie and I've never really been a fan of that character. Maybe that has something to do with my lack of enjoyment in the first episode. Or you're right, I just hate women. You figured me out completely. And I really enjoyed the 2nd episode. 

OK, so now that you've moved the goalposts from "a superhero having super powers" to "character growth," let's talk about that, because ... oh right, we're only 2 episodes into this miniseries. But if it follows the same arc as the comics, or every other miniseries, we abolutely should expect some of that.

Like, I dunno, the fact that she lost her job at a law firm because she saved the jury as a superhero, thus introducing the conflict between her heroism and her job, only to be picked up by the same firm that basically just got her fired that clearly has some ulterior motives relating to her super-powers.

You mean that?

10 hours ago, Rimbo said:

OK, so now that you've moved the goalposts from "a superhero having super powers" to "character growth," let's talk about that, because ... oh right, we're only 2 episodes into this miniseries. But if it follows the same arc as the comics, or every other miniseries, we abolutely should expect some of that.

Like, I dunno, the fact that she lost her job at a law firm because she saved the jury as a superhero, thus introducing the conflict between her heroism and her job, only to be picked up by the same firm that basically just got her fired that clearly has some ulterior motives relating to her super-powers.

You mean that?

Actually, my original post that started this whole sidebar was exactly about character growth and how i didn't like what I considered to be a trope that Marvel was doing with female characters being expert level from the time they get their powers. I liked Ms. Marvel having to learn how to deal with her powers and build up to being a hero. I was then tasked with showing my work on this being a new trope. Maybe I was off base and yes the 2nd episode did what I was hoping for. 

• Hook 'Em 1

A very enjoyable episode. Some good laughs and cameos. Only thing that detracts from it a little bit is the CGI when she's She-Hulk. Just seems off. Hulk was similar in the first 2 episodes. I posted in the MCU thread that Marvel is cheaping out on FX work by making too much with too few workers and it shows. Interesting cameos at the end:

Spoiler

The Wrecking Crew. Cool way to bring them into the MCU with Asgardian weapons. And if they're trying to get her blood, makes me think The Leader will be the eventual villain. Or Val trying to create more superheroes. Might explain how Red Hulk will eventually appear in the MCU for The Thunderbolts. 

Edited by mdmost

I'll always watch these kinds of shows, because my daughter tends to like them for their female leads, and I like to spend time with her and share things in common.  I wasn't so sure after the first episode, but I'm actually really enjoying it now.  Wong was great, and Tim Roth has also been really enjoyable in this.  I hope they keep him around.

On 9/8/2022 at 11:17 AM, Js1 said:

We need a Wong show. He’s the best part of this. 

Madysnn with two N’s and a Y (but not where you think it isssssss) is the best part, hands down.

This show blows otherwise and is obviously not doing great numbers based on the lackluster thread here and Twitter talk. I guess Disney+ is doing the Netflix thing where they produce a bunch of expensive garbage and call it “original content”.

47 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

It's pretty damn obvious that surly posters are NOT the target demographic for this show. 

Jesus fuck yall are a bunch of shit asses.

I sing the praises of Marvel. I freaking love the way Marvel writers and heads were able to craft through 20+ movies a well thought out and incredibly executed cohesive vision. It was absolute GENIUS. They had a few misses. Most were good and many were great.

But I'm not a mindless idiot either. Shit is shit. The last few series from Marvel has been meh at best. The first 2 episodes seemed to continue down the meh trend. I'm done with meh from SW and Marvel franchises.

Edited by crash_davis

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

It's pretty damn obvious that surly posters are NOT the target demographic for this show. 

Jesus fuck yall are a bunch of shit asses.

I enjoy this a lot. Tatiana is great, she brings a lot of humanity and awkwardness to She-Hulk as a reluctant superhero.  She’s still navigating what it means and how it affects her life / both her lives now.  I mean, trademarks? Dating? Even finding clothing? Stuff that’s not really come up before in the MCU  

It’s not going to be for everyone who want bang bang boom pow every episode. It’s not really the story of She-Hulk the superhero, but Jennifer Walters the She-Hulk. 

• Hook 'Em 5

36 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

I sing the praises of Marvel. I freaking love the way Marvel writers and heads were able to craft through 20+ movies a well thought out and incredibly executed cohesive vision. It was absolute GENIUS. They had a few misses. Most were good and many were great.

But I'm not a mindless idiot either. Shit is shit. The last few series from Marvel has been meh at best. The first 2 episodes seemed to continue down the meh trend. I'm done with meh from SW and Marvel franchises.

Only you can decide if you want to watch it. I didn't like the first episode at all and have enjoyed every one since. It's a unique show to the MCU and I enjoy that immensely. Plus it kicks a lot of us Marvel fans in the balls for some of our current and past criticisms. 

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I enjoy this a lot. Tatiana is great, she brings a lot of humanity and awkwardness to She-Hulk as a reluctant superhero.  She’s still navigating what it means and how it affects her life / both her lives now.  I mean, trademarks? Dating? Even finding clothing? Stuff that’s not really come up before in the MCU  

It’s not going to be for everyone who want bang bang boom pow every episode. It’s not really the story of She-Hulk the superhero, but Jennifer Walters the She-Hulk. 

Yeah for me, I kinda enjoy that this is a sitcom that takes place in the MCU. It's really silly and I'm good with that. 

Edited by YChang
  • Hook 'Em 4

28 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Only you can decide if you want to watch it. I didn't like the first episode at all and have enjoyed every one since. It's a unique show to the MCU and I enjoy that immensely. Plus it kicks a lot of us Marvel fans in the balls for some of our current and past criticisms. 

I told someone this is the show that's really punching us in the balls for the "where do they shit and piss?" criticisms that come about.  Trademarking Superhero names? Who makes their clothes?  How do they date/have friends/socialize with non-heroes? Family drama, self worth as a hero versus being a person, etc.

It's so great. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Trademarking Superhero names?

I have a hard time giving a shit about this. She never even liked the name and she’s had it for like two weeks? Never mind that she’s not selling goods or services under the name - and how can you prevent someone from being themselves… I’ve already wasted too much thought on this. It’s just dumb

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

1234.  The bean counters and statistics people, and there would be a lot of them,  have all sat down and dialed in these shows and their audiences.  Every one of these shows has either a very general audience (such as Loki, Wanda), or a very specific (niche) audience (Ms. Marvel, She-Hulk, Moon Knight).  Most are also all servicing the greater MCU by setting up future characters or movies or both.  Loki might be an exception to servicing the greater MCU   It could truly be its own thing  

And then there is Agatha: Coven of Chaos, which I’m hoping is a half-dozen seasons of Katherine Hahn running around dressed up as a witch.

8 hours ago, YChang said:

Yeah for me, I kinda enjoy that this is a sitcom that takes place in the MCU. It's really silly and I'm good with that. 

Yeah, this isn't really a Marvel show. It's a sitcom that happens to be based in the Marvel universe and the main character is a supe. It's fun and doesn't try to be anything else. 

4 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yeah, this isn't really a Marvel show. It's a sitcom that happens to be based in the Marvel universe and the main character is a supe. It's fun and doesn't try to be anything else. 

It's not Marvel anymore, it's Disney. Just like Star Wars isn't Lucas. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Js1 said:

The part of this show that is the most cringe to me actually is that I feel sad and sorry for the female actress. She’s not a very attractive lady, certainly not beautiful, and having to watch her navigate the dating scene and such is second-hand awkward because it’s so realistic.

As a modern Rhea Pearlman and a “maybe a 6” as her date rightly said in real life would have all those same social problems.

23 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I have a hard time giving a shit about this. She never even liked the name and she’s had it for like two weeks? Never mind that she’s not selling goods or services under the name - and how can you prevent someone from being themselves… I’ve already wasted too much thought on this. It’s just dumb

The scene with her boss very clearly explained why this is an issue for the law firm and for her if she wanted to keep her job.

This show and Ms. Marvel have been great about opening new paths for what can be done with comic book source material.  Let me repeat that one more time... comic book source material.

10 hours ago, RPM said:

It's not Marvel anymore, it's Disney. Just like Star Wars isn't Lucas. 

This doesn't make any sense.  Disney has owned Marvel studios since before phase 1 of MCU ended.  Marvel comics explored tangents within the universe, Disney/Marvel is doing the same.  It's ok if you don't like some of the side roads, but there are lots of people who do.

4 hours ago, MeerkatBong said:

The part of this show that is the most cringe to me actually is that I feel sad and sorry for the female actress. She’s not a very attractive lady, certainly not beautiful, and having to watch her navigate the dating scene and such is second-hand awkward because it’s so realistic.

As a modern Rhea Pearlman and a “maybe a 6” as her date rightly said in real life would have all those same social problems.

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but this has got to be an extreme minority opinion.   

Bottom line for me: I am thoroughly enjoying the show for what it is, and I think Tatiana is great in the role.

Edited by Guadaloopy
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 9/16/2022 at 11:34 AM, UT_OB1 said:

L.o.l. No kidding.  I think they are purposefully making her look like she’s frumpy/less attractive (and personally I’m not a fan of short curly hair)

she may not be your 10, but she’s not a 6

image.jpeg.1e5da84b1573e151c43ea04e69aaaf24.jpeg

image.jpeg.6908cbcbb93be3be33508f8b6cb0c719.jpegimage.jpeg.83e0e5d0019b563a043f86a5d178aa0d.jpeg

In real life she’s not a 5 or 6 at best. That’s actually good to know because I won’t feel bad/sad when she’s wrestling with being average-to-below-average on the show. Good job to the show making her look frumpy with bad hair. I’m glad it’s not an ugly Betty situation. 

The show is doing a good job of setting up those emotional stakes and internal conflicts and the actress is doing a great job of reflecting that internal pain externally like we saw at the court scene with the “hot guy” guy saying “nah JW ain’t for me, but she hulk 😍