2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

8 minutes ago, fellside said:

I'll be patient if he struggles, but I kind of think that Doncic can be good faster than other guys in the draft.  He's already been playing at a high level.

Question now becomes who the Mavs target in free agency.

Lebron, obviously. "Come play with Luka, Bron Bron!"

Hearinf the pick is top 5 protected.  That’s fine with me.  If they suck bad they’ll get their pick. 

If they make a run to ge playoffs they’ll lose it in a very bad draft.

they got the best player in this draft. It’s a win no matter what. 

17 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Did not know anything about Doncic. I was wanting Bamba. Looked up info on Doncic. 6’7” PG? So Mavs will have a 6’7” shooting guard? Interesting.

Bamba over Doncic?  Ha, no. 

It will suck if we land in the mid lottery next year and don't get the pick.  OKC, Boston and Golden State built contenders from drafting well 3-4 years in a row.

But it was a risk we had to take.  Doncic can be that good.

I would prefer we target younger players in free agency since we likely won't get another elite player from the draft soon.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, fellside said:

It will suck if we land in the mid lottery next year and don't get the pick.  OKC, Boston and Golden State built contenders from drafting well 3-4 years in a row.

But it was a risk we had to take.  Doncic can be that good.

I would prefer we target younger players in free agency since we likely won't get another elite player from the draft soon.

I think it was worth it if they think this guy is going to be the best player in these 2 drafts. I'm not going to lose any sleep over losing pick #13 or 14 next year. Boston also had several selections at the top of the lottery to build. We're not going to be able to follow that model IMO. 

As far as free agency, I expect us to go after DAJ pretty hard again. That's not terribly exciting, but we have to get some rebounding on this team. 

DSJ--Matthews--Doncic--Barnes--DAJ is a pretty solid starting 5. Then Dirk, McDermott, Curry, Powell, Yogi, JJB, and DFS off the bench. I could also see them getting Gortat 

• Like 1

Given the thoughts on his fatigue, I hope Doncic skips summer league. At the least, he should play sparingly.

Excited to see this kid. Whatever they do in FA, I hope it is smart spending.

Edited by pacman

7 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I think we trade up tonight. Trade with Hawks. Swap picks, we take on a salary dump maybe give up a future 2nd or heavily protected first. We get Luka, and Atlanta can still get Trae Young and dump salary.

If we stay put, I think other teams trade up to 3 and 4 and Luka and Bamba will be gone.

i'd like to pick your brain about about horse racing...

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Did not know anything about Doncic. I was wanting Bamba. Looked up info on Doncic. 6’7” PG? So Mavs will have a 6’7” shooting guard? Interesting.

Michael Jordan was a 6’7 shooting guard, so I expect doncic’s career to mirror MJ’s. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Protections for the future 1st according to Stein:

2019: top 5 protected

2020: top 5 protected

2021: top 3 protected

2022: top 3 protected

2023: fully unprotected

We're more likely to fall in the top 5 in 2019 or 2020 than we are in any of the other 3 years during this period so I'm good with it regardless of what happens. Luka was the best player in the draft and we got him. In my opinion he has the highest floor among all the prospects. I simply can't see him being a total bust. At the very worst he'll be Eastern conference level allstar (ie that level of player) and on the other end of the spectrum he's a more pass first focused James Harden. 

I hope we avoid Cousins mainly because of the injury.

If he were healthy I would be for him. His mid range is excellent and 3pt is decent for a big. Powell is a great roller/rim finisher. A starting 5 of DSJ, Doncic, Barnes, Powell, Cousins would be interesting offensively. Bring Dirk and Wes off the bench.

DAJ doesnt do much for me. If we sign him, Dirk probably has to start as Powell and DAJ together on offense doesnt work.

Capela would be perfect but Houston will match any offer.

Nurkic is an interesting possibility. Young, finishes well at rim, great rebounder. Is a RFA and Portland is in a tight spot financially. The right offer could force them to pass but I hate locking up our cap for 3 days while they decide.

I would see if Orlando would be open to dealing Vucevic since they drafted Bomba.

Stop gap options Dallas can get for cheap: Kyle O'Quinn, Brook Lopez, and Monroe.

It really sucks the Nerlens situation has not worked out. It would be awesome if he lived up to the potential.

7 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

I hope we avoid Cousins mainly because of the injury.

If he were healthy I would be for him. His mid range is excellent and 3pt is decent for a big. Powell is a great roller/rim finisher. A starting 5 of DSJ, Doncic, Barnes, Powell, Cousins would be interesting offensively. Bring Dirk and Wes off the bench.

DAJ doesnt do much for me. If we sign him, Dirk probably has to start as Powell and DAJ together on offense doesnt work.

Capela would be perfect but Houston will match any offer.

Nurkic is an interesting possibility. Young, finishes well at rim, great rebounder. Is a RFA and Portland is in a tight spot financially. The right offer could force them to pass but I hate locking up our cap for 3 days while they decide.

I would see if Orlando would be open to dealing Vucevic since they drafted Bomba.

Stop gap options Dallas can get for cheap: Kyle O'Quinn, Brook Lopez, and Monroe.

It really sucks the Nerlens situation has not worked out. It would be awesome if he lived up to the potential.

Agreed on avoiding Boogie. Totally forgot Nurkic is a possibility. That would be my preferred option. Gives us much better rebounding at the 5 and is only 23 years old. We would have 4 starters 26 and under at that point.