2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

2 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

Was listening to Skin and he was saying Donnie does not believe next year is a good draft class. They are not going to tank this year, that's for sure. 

Nobody believes next year's draft is any good. During the Mickey Ds workouts the scouts were complaining about how garbage next year's class was. 

8 hours ago, RexWilson said:

I think we trade up tonight. Trade with Hawks. Swap picks, we take on a salary dump maybe give up a future 2nd or heavily protected first. We get Luka, and Atlanta can still get Trae Young and dump salary.

If we stay put, I think other teams trade up to 3 and 4 and Luka and Bamba will be gone.

1 hour ago, gsoda3 said:

i'd like to pick your brain about about horse racing...

Yes. He nailed it.

1 hour ago, CBT said:

Yeah bro...

1 hour ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't. Why not shoot for the stars with a Mitchell Robinson? Brunson  more than likely won't play for the Mavs 2 years down the road. 

What makes you think that?  Some are actually seeing him as Yogis replacement eventually. That’s a quality backup. 

8 hours ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't. Why not shoot for the stars with a Mitchell Robinson? Brunson  more than likely won't play for the Mavs 2 years down the road. 

I think you are underrating Brunson. But we shall see. 

27 minutes ago, immortal13 said:

Can't "free up to the basket"? What does that mean?

It means he won't be able to turn the corner on a guy and get to the rim uncontested..... defenders will be able to stick with him b/c of his lateral quickness... or lack thereof.  

Not saying I agree, simply defining for you.  

26 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Agreed, he'll be fine hes got good enough handles where he'll catch some people reaching and that'll open the door for him to get by plus he's not always gonna have other guards guarding him. 

Zach Lowe always talks about this: skills don't exist independently. Lateral quickness isn't just how fast you can run a shuttle drill. Having a high basketball IQ (being two steps ahead, always moving, not having to pause to assess), having the ball on the string, pinpoint passing if a defender cheats over, the threat of your own shot that keeps your man close and susceptible to fakes...all allow plenty of opportunities to create separation.

Harden and Curry are both probably below average NBA athletes in a vacuum, but can blow by just about anyone or create panic because of their combination of other skills. Doncic seems cut from that ilk.

Edited by aggie08
  • Like 5

Heard Carlisle in an interview talk about Doncic's lower 3 pt % and how it wasn't a major concern for them. He said the shorter line in the Euroleauge actually hurts 3 pt % because it's easier to defend which leads to more contested shots. Never really thought about that when trying to project shooting to the NBA game. 

If DAJ opts in, you can do a Wes for DAJ straight up. Gives Clippers a chance to flip Wes for something at the trade deadline (maybe a third team gets involved and we send them Wes). Dallas gets the chance to work out a longer term deal with DAJ.

Considering the qualifying offers we offered to Yogi, Dougie, and Salah combined with the draft holds, I assume we dont have enough cap space now to make a legit offer if DAJ opts out. Reports seem he is not opting out. The trade works better for us anyways because we would still have cap to sign solid bench players.

I have not seen anything on Seth Curry's status. Wonder what's going to happen with him 

Edited by RexWilson

26 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Im really interested in A Gordon.  I wonder how the Mavs and Magic view him

I read this yesterday.... Maybe if you went to Orlando and said you'd take on one of their bad contracts.

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2018/06/27/orlando-magics-eyes-on-aaron-gordon-and-they-intend-to-keep-him/

13 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

I don't know how I feel about trying to throw $20 mil at Jabari. He's had some major injuries. If you could get him closer to $15 mil, I'd be down for that. 

Im out on Jabari.  Itll be interesting to see if they go big like jabari or my preference Gordon or spread it around a little more 

• Like 1