Fuck you for not securing your shit

Jameslaw121

14 minutes ago, TKthunder2 said:

Holy crap, she okay?

edit: just reread, glad it’s not more serious still fucking sucks.

Bruised up pretty badly but okay. If you've ever driven in that area at 9:00 am, it's amazing she wasn't hit/didn't hit another vehichle.

27 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

had to swerve to miss a ladder on the highway. Spun out of control and slammed into the wall. 

Swerving lessons.  Never avoid so hard that you lose control.  Maybe a specialized driving school where they go over and then practice different scenarios.  

I hit a ladder on I45 at 140mph trying to make it back to the Woodlands before my curfew back in high school.  Jumped right over it.  Glad I didn't do what your wife did.  I'd still be grounded.

• Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Swerving lessons.  Never avoid so hard that you lose control.  Maybe a specialized driving school where they go over and then practice different scenarios.  

I don't know that that would have been better. She (used to) drive a honda fit. If it was one of those cheap aluminum ladders, maybe. but if it was a heavy duty ladder, I think it would have been alot worse. 

1 minute ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I don't know that that would have been better. She (used to) drive a honda fit. If it was one of those cheap aluminum ladders, maybe. but if it was a heavy duty ladder, I think it would have been alot worse. 

Not necessarily to just plow through it but having the ability to swerve and maintain control.  Sometimes people who haven't experimented or fucked around enough behind the wheel like a young male might do, don't have the feel of a really wobbly maneuver in their muscle memory.  It's easy to over react and then you sense that you over reacted, and that can lead to an over correction of the original reflex which can start a wobble that's hard to straighten out even for a dude. 

8 minutes ago, PRONG HORN said:

Not necessarily to just plow through it but having the ability to swerve and maintain control.  Sometimes people who haven't experimented or fucked around enough behind the wheel like a young male might do, don't have the feel of a really wobbly maneuver in their muscle memory.  It's easy to over react and then you sense that you over reacted, and that can lead to an over correction of the original reflex which can start a wobble that's hard to straighten out even for a dude. 

Do you think a young male might do to help the dude to straighten out?

Sorry to hear that Jameslaw. Broken bones and concussion are no joke. Make sure she gets a CT scan to see if there's any internal bleeding, especially to the head. I had a really bad concussion in 2005, never got it checked out, and think that's one of the reasons I got seizures later.

Back to the topic... I ran over a motherfuckin' couch in the middle of a 5 lane highway. It had already been partially destroyed by other people who ran over it before I did, and I just took it straight on because a) I drive a SUV that won't get as fucked up; and more importantly b) it's a company car that I don't have to pay for. But it was still a pain to go through company insurance and the body shop.

But yes, people need to secure their shit on the back of their vans and pickups. Wife nearly ran over a ladder in her new car 2 years ago. I also saw a fucking BBQ grill in the middle of a highway before, just waiting to fuck up someone's car.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Jameslaw121 said:

After she complained that she could barely use her hands, I asked if her mouth was still okay.

My advice to a friend after his wife gave birth and the OB said no sex...  "What does her dentist say?"

43 minutes ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Now THAT ladies and gentlemen is how you Surly. 

What's EVEN more Surly is Jameslaw coming to post on Surly instead of taking care of the wife and kid.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Superhero said:

Sorry to hear that Jameslaw. Broken bones and concussion are no joke. Make sure she gets a CT scan to see if there's any internal bleeding, especially to the head. I had a really bad concussion in 2005, never got it checked out, and think that's one of the reasons I got seizures later.

Back to the topic... I ran over a motherfuckin' couch in the middle of a 5 lane highway. It had already been partially destroyed by other people who ran over it before I did, and I just took it straight on because a) I drive a SUV that won't get as fucked up; and more importantly b) it's a company car that I don't have to pay for. But it was still a pain to go through company insurance and the body shop.

But yes, people need to secure their shit on the back of their vans and pickups. Wife nearly ran over a ladder in her new car 2 years ago. I also saw a fucking BBQ grill in the middle of a highway before, just waiting to fuck up someone's car.

We went to the ER. Her mom is actually an ER Doc and had called ahead to the head of ER before we even got there. Everything came up okay.

I'm still fucking pissed though

• Hook 'Em 4

1 minute ago, Superhero said:

My advice to a friend after his wife gave birth and the OB said no sex...  "What does her dentist say?"

What's EVEN more Surly is Jameslaw coming to post on Surly instead of taking care of the wife and kid.

Lol - but no. Kids stayed with the grandparents and I waited to post until about an hour after we got home.

1 hour ago, Jameslaw121 said:

Wife was going 70 on Bush and had to swerve to miss a ladder on the highway. Spun out of control and slammed into the wall. Walked away with a couple of broken bows and a cucussion Fortunately.

Glad the other half is well and nothing more serious occurred.

As for the line "not securing your shit" in the topic title, I am regrettably compelled to share my favorite scene from this movie:

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Nuge said:

I hit a ladder on I45 at 140mph trying to make it back to the Woodlands before my curfew back in high school.  Jumped right over it.  Glad I didn't do what your wife did.  I'd still be grounded.

spacer.png

• Haha 3

a few years back

A Long Beach man who let a stolen stove fly off the back of his pick-up truck on the 91 Freeway and left it there, causing a crash that killed a Los Angeles County sheriff’s deputy, was convicted Wednesday of murder, the Orange County District Attorney’s Office said.

• Hook 'Em 1

A few months ago I had a mattress come off a trailer right in front of me and went straight through it.  Had some minor damage to my car but no injuries.  A car behind me swerved to miss it and went right into another car.  Was a total loss for both cars but luckily only minor injuries.

Was there at least traffic camera/dashcam footage of the truck losing the ladder?

That reminds me, I probably need to get my windshield replaced soon. I hate gravel trucks.

Glad your bride is on the mend, that is scary AF.

Edited by BearSchlong

I see two or three ladders a week on Houston roads.  It's not that hard to secure stuff.  I drive a flatbed pickup carrying shit all day.  I've never had anything come off of my truck.  Glad she's ok.  That looked like a [Larry Mac] hard lick [/Larry Mac].

I probably just jinxed the shit out of myself.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Quagmire said:

That car sucked anyways

You're not wrong. We had been planning on trading it in last summer. But with the vehicle shortages and stuff decided to hold off and get something we really wanted.

On a side note - I got it inspected last Saturday (with an oil change)  and Registered Monday night... SO double FML

Just remembered a situation about a year ago and I may have posted about it.  Anyway going from Houston to Nacogdoches late on a Friday evening I spotted something on the highway just north of Splendora.  Traffic had temporarily slowed to a crawl and then went on. Turns out it was a dark green canoe laying right in the middle of the road. I shook my head and drove on. About 7-8 miles further....yep another identical canoe.   A few miles later, another one. Just a few miles past that I came up behind a trailer that had either 9 or 12 open sections. This was an idiot pulling a specialized trailer made to transport canoes from the manufacturer or dealer or something.  NONE of the remaining canoes were secured at all.   I pulled up alongside of the pickup and pointed back towards his trailer.   The driver gave me a big smile and a wave and just kept on driving.   Never looked in his mirror or slowed down.   I wondered how many, if any canoes reached their destination. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1