2022 Roland-Garros

Starts at 4a this morning. TC has exclusive rights, so no ESPN+ like the other Slams. DirecTV still has the bonus channels at least. 

Draw pdfs are still expiring quickly, so we'll go this way. 

Men's

Battle to the death in top half. 

Women's

Iga & the 127 dwarfs. Defending champ Krejcikova hasn't played a clay match yet with some kind of arm injury. Just to be silly, I'll pick #23 Jill Teichmann to make a deep run. 

12 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

Starts at 4a this morning. TC has exclusive rights, so no ESPN+ like the other Slams. DirecTV still has the bonus channels at least. 

Part of coverage on NBC & Peacock too... here's part of TV schedule. (All Eastern Time)

Screenshot_20220522-084121_kindlephoto-1757410.thumb.png.d5e04be42de67705cb422d9b6c20789a.png

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/french-open-schedule-2022-full-draws-tv-coverage-channels-and-more-to-watch-every-tennis-match/ar-AAXA2af?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Hefeweizen said:

Fat Jabber already out.

WTA tennis, man. 

I wonder if Halep has a run in her?  I don't know who can stop Swiatek but Andreescu could if fit,

Jabeur isn’t fat anymore. She’s not Sakkari, but the main reason that she has kicked so much ass before today is that she is noticeably slimmer than she has been over the last few years. I don’t know what happened today though, I was sleeping. 

Jabeur won 17 games today. Jensen Brooksby won 5 TOTAL GAMES today. Wow does he suck! And he was a seeded player. That will likely be the most embarrassing loss by a seeded player in the first round. 

He hits like a tricky woman, so my guess is that with the extra time that the clay gives his opponents, he’s just fresh meat out there. 

Muguruza continues to play like an emotional child who is secretly dating her coach. She’s got Top 10 talent with a 10 Cent Brain.

FAA pulling a Houdini act while I am surprised to see Davidovich Fokina bow out in the first round after having been so dominant on clay this season. Everything was pointing to this and then he just didn’t get it done. The 0-6 second set has me wondering whether he injured himself, turned an ankle maybe? He did better in the 3rd & 4th sets, but it wasn’t enough. The scoreline would align with someone who had an injury at the start of the 2nd set. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Brooksby is kind of a weirdo so him going out is fine.  

Coco and Sloane advanced but neither looked great 

Alcaraz looked fresh and overpowered the Uruguayan dude, who has a forehand and nothing else.

Wimbledon ratings shart is probably going to consume a lot of headlines the next couple of weeks.

39 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Bye Osaka. Let’s go Amanda!

HaHaHaHa 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Hope she just retires -- such a drama queen and wannabe diva

"Tennis-Osaka unsure she will play Wimbledon after ranking points sanction" 

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/sport/tennis/tennis-osaka-unsure-she-will-play-wimbledon-after-ranking-points-sanction/ar-AAXCjir?ocid=uxbndlbing

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, hookem2010 said:

Wow, the US has a ranked men's player again? I haven't paid too close of attention outside of semis and finals the last few years, but has there been anyone besides Isner who had been ranked recently?

Yes there are 7 seeded American men, however none are really a threat to win. It’s still a clay tournament and Americans are still the worst on clay

• Hook 'Em 1

Musetti giving his all in an effort to be crowned The Biggest Loser today. 

Ever since his showboating in Acapulco 2021 when he would lie down on the court while his opponent waited for him at the net after each round, I have pulled for the  Italian Hairy Mole to lose. 

And I’m not a fan of the mopey Greco-Russian either. At least one of them was bound to lose. 

🥳

• Hook 'Em 1

I watched Raducanu from early 1st set all the way to the end. 

The Italian-Russian opponent had a ton of errors in the first set to lose that set. Then…

Raducanu started playing insanely deep and only hitting the ball to the middle of the court. It was a horrible strategy and the entire match switched. 

Raducanu would hit from about 5 to 8 FEET behind the baseline and her opponent would then take up space about a step inside of the baseline. With the exception of about a game-and-a-half to 2 game stretch in the 3rd set, Raducanu just sat back and waited for unforced errors that never came  And the opponent was hitting meatball first serves… in the upper-70s (mph).

it was such an awful strategy. Emma needed a coach with cheating signals to get her to hug the baseline. It is as simple as that  

Just noticed that Catie McNally was playing doubles with a Chinese girl, so looked to see if Coco was just concentrating on singles…

NOPE!

D33B55A8-E406-4A61-A5FA-D2A90958D28B.thumb.jpeg.f555979c45c211c40f7acc5950bf316e.jpeg

They don’t play each other in the next round if Coco & Pegula win, but they are listed next to each other on the Roland-Garros draw. 

All things must come to an end. 

Pliskova's loss combined with Danielle Collins falling 6-4, 6-3 to Shelby Rogers means that seven of the top 10 women in the seedings at the French Open are gone before the second round is completed.

No. 8 Pliskova and No. 9 Collins join No. 2 Barbora Krejcikova, No. 4 Maria Sakkari, No. 5 Anett Kontaveit, No. 6 Ons Jabeur and No. 10 Garbine Muguruza on the way out.

It leaves just three top-10 seeds -- No. 1 Swiatek, No. 3 Paula Badosa and No. 7 Aryna Sabalenka -- in the third round. It's the first time in the Open era that so few top-10 seeds have remained by the round of 32 at Roland Garros, breaking the previous record of five set in 2001 and 2021. It's also the fewest top-10 seeds in a third round at any major since the 2015 US Open.

As Swiatek, Badosa and Sabalenka are all on the same side of the draw, No. 14 Belinda Bencic is the highest-seeded player remaining on the bottom half.

That last bolded part is crazy. 

1) Ostapenko really seems like she sucks. I put her in the Andreescu category of Major winners who are temperamental babies. Gamesmanship, bathroom breaks, mysterious injuries... don't care for either of them.

2) Cornet... she's a lovely lady. (Pointy nose could put an eye out, but I'm a fan.)

3) Surprising Winners & Losers on the day:

Goffin over Tiafoe (24)

Mackie McDonald over Basilashvili (22)

Mikael Ymer over Dan Evans (29) . . . Evans beat someone decent in the 1st round.

Badosa (3) over Juvan . . . Juvan came back from 5-1 in the 1st set to tie it at 5-5, then lost 7-5 before winning the 2nd set 3-6.

Jeanjean (Frenchie) over Pliskova (8)

Qinwen Zheng over  Halep (19) . . . with Halep being the 2nd or 3rd favorite (betting lines) to win the tournament.

Shelby Rogers over Danielle Collins (9)

Barbora Krejčíková out of the entire tournament (Doubles too) with COVID.

Marie Bouzkova also withdrew due to COVID. (Something with the Czech women.)

• Hook 'Em 1

Wosniaki (sp?) is wearing a Laura Ashley bed spread (L.A. cloth shower curtain?) from the late ‘80s.

But the dress isn’t as bad as her nasal drone.

Lindsay Davenport looked to be smuggling two bags of baby formula for a secret drop after the match. 

When Kanepi is on, she can beat the living shit out of the ball.

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Isner lost to a Spaniard outside of the top 100. Lol typical 

The day is cool and damp. The surface is clay.

If there is a kind of day on any particular surface that would provide a golden opportunity to a marginal player to beat Isner, this is it. 

I hate Isner on fast courts, but there’s not much to hate on slow courts, because they are his Kryptonite.

• Haha 1