Shit you did today in our quixotic attempt to rid the country of bad politicians

The title is way too "both sides-ish".  What I really mean is "shit you did today in our quixotic attempt to destroy the current Republican Party and sow its ashes with salt."  But hey, I'll be both sides-ish.

I started another thread like this, but can't find it.  This is the thread where you just tell what you did beyond voting.

I'll start.

Today I did some lit dropping for Derrik Gay, who is running in the dem primary (vote is Tuesday) against Jan McDowell for the chance to run against odious Beth Van Duyne.  Jan is a nice lady, but if there is any hope in the gerrymandered district (there is little) then I'd go with the ex-Marine.  Derrik is very low key -- very Colin Allred-ish, but our district includes Southlake, so my goal is really just to make the Republicans sweat just a bit and spend some money here.  

I basically picked up some lit at the starbucks, said hey to Derrik, and then downloaded two sets of around 40 addresses on the Minvan app and then dropped the lit (simple flyer).  The idea was really to knock on the doors of usually dependable dems and make sure they vote on Tuesday.  I spoke to a few folks but generally just just dropped off the flyers.  Although in all honesty, receiving such a flyer caused my wife to remember to vote early.  (Ms. Greaser: "I voted for him but no one named "Gay" is going to win this cycle...")

Anyway, I strongly recommend that if you want to participate in a small way, this is very helpful to the candidates you are supporting, especially if you are able to talk to people and get them to commit to vote.  I put in about 14K in steps and feel like I participated a bit so that's nice.

(Follow him on the twitters.  @derrikgay)

I'd be curious what some of you folks are doing in the way of involvement.  Bless you hearts.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I work a 4 hour shift on the voter hotline most days during early voting and on ED.  Been helping a lot of people find out if their mail in ballots were received and counted.  Suffice to say the Secretary of State ballot tracker mandated by SB1 works about as well as Abbott's lower extremities.

(Oh and I blocked a few trolls here)

Edited by pyrohornIII
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I put on my Oakleys, got in my truck, and recorded a video about how Biden is ruining my life by raising gas prices, and posted it to Facebook.  

Doesn't count unless:

1.) You also have a goatee

2.) Your baseball cap was turned backwards

and

3.) You rolled coal at the conclusion of your POS PSA.

That is all.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I put on my Oakleys, got in my truck, and recorded a video about how Biden is ruining my life by raising gas prices, and posted it to Facebook.  

Still waiting on your Truth Social account to start working?

I post on a message board  where I persistently bitch about life and associated problems to a handful of people while blaming it on the political policies and behaviors of the other team. Then I alienate friends and family by injecting politics anytime there is an opportunity.  Then I  post on the message board how awful my friends and family are for not agreeing with my views.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EuroHorn said:

I post on a message board  where I persistently bitch about life and associated problems to a handful of people while blaming it on the political policies and behaviors of the other team. Then I alienate friends and family by injecting politics anytime there is an opportunity.  Then I  post on the message board how awful my friends and family are for not agreeing with my views.

Oh, I know this one! You're my uncle from Thanksgiving dinner!

3 hours ago, Dnaguy said:

Doesn't count unless:

1.) You also have a goatee

2.) Your baseball cap was turned backwards

and

3.) You rolled coal at the conclusion of your POS PSA.

That is all.

And put a Biden "I did that" sticker on the gas pump.

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

You didn't even have to shave your head, did you?

I’m voting in the Alabama primary tomorrow - fat lot of good that will do.

And, frankly, I’m exhausted. I’m just playing the new Harry Styles album and vibing and hoping I can score some tickets to 2 or 3 of his shows at Madison Square Garden in September for my 50th birthday.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I ran a query on the national PAC donation website for contributions made by fellow employees at my company.  Then I cross-checked the list with anyone that contributed to any PAC associated with Raphael, Hawley, Turtle, Boobert, Gym, Gaetz, Madi, Ms 8-Toes, etc.

The work email addresses and work phone numbers for those traitors was then submitted to the local antifa chapter for them to do with whatever they do.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I received an idiotic video from Judge Debra Jones where she points out that her opponent Greg Cook attended a "liberal law school in Massachusetts" just like Obama did, while she, for some reason, has spent her entire life within the boundaries of Alabama.

I texted back "Thank you, your ad convinced me to vote for Greg Cook." Not that they'll read it, but who knows. it was fun.

Then I looked up Greg Cook. Bog-standard God and Trump lovin' feller.

I'll still vote for him, because he's not Debra Jones.

(I always vote in the Republican primary, either to push it towards normal, or crazy.)

I’m voting in the Alabama primary tomorrow - fat lot of good that will do.

And, frankly, I’m exhausted. I’m just playing the new Harry Styles album and vibing and hoping I can score some tickets to 2 or 3 of his shows at Madison Square Garden in September for my 50th birthday.
I thought, until recently, Harry Styles was teeny bopper quality of music and was unaware I had ever heard his music in my life. Were you into NKOTB back in the day? A Beber Believer?

Not bad. Gets a lot of airtime at the yoga studio, buy not my house.

I thought, until recently, Harry Styles was teeny bopper quality of music and was unaware I had ever heard his music in my life. Were you into NKOTB back in the day? A Beber Believer?

Not bad. Gets a lot of airtime at the yoga studio, buy not my house.

Never into any of the boy bands or even One Direction.

I just fell in love with his first solo album. His new album (Harry’s House) and his second (Fine Line) are amazing.

I haven’t stopped listening to his new one since it dropped on Friday.

He’s actually really good - not teeny bopper at all.

6 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

The Episcopal Church honors an individual's right to make an informed decision about abortion. The church is a pro-choice denomination and belongs to the Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice.

The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) generally takes a pro-choice stance. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) believes that the choice to receive an elective abortion can be "morally acceptable;"however, the denomination does not condone late abortions where the fetus is viable and the mother's life is not in danger.

Unitarian Universalists have the highest level of support for abortion rights among denominations, with 90 percent saying abortion should be legal, according to Pew Research.

Quakers don't have a united view on abortion but regard it as a matter of individual conscience. Philosophically there is no Quaker doctrine of when a person becomes a person.

Quick search suggests Christians are not solidly behind Catholic views on abortion.

To me there are two camps here.  First you have people who don't care about the babies or the fetuses.  THIS is the only issue they can try to pin on liberals that could be considered cruel.  That is why they push so hard to make it about babies, not fetuses.  Makes us murderers.  In their mind it's their only "whataboutisms" and bothsiderisms."  This way they can scream "You can't call us immoral or despicable, we don't kill innocent babies!!"    That's all it is...never was about the kids.  And with the Catholic church, it's about guilt...and control.  

12 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

@fattyflattie has it ever occurred to you that the current structure of social benefits is by design for the people at the very top of the “producer” ladder? That the programs exist so that they don’t have to pay a huge chunk of their workforce a decent wage, and then their workers higher up the food chain who pay income taxes subsidize that for them? Then they resent the people below them instead of the people at the top who pay less into the system? 

Our entire taxation system punishes people who actually provide useful inputs into the economy and rewards unproductive shuffling of money at the top. 

Hello Walton family.

8 hours ago, 'stache said:

Serious question, how do you suggest the dems capitalize? Seems anytime this shit gets called out it emboldens them and more of them pop up. It's a full on grievance culture that the majority of this country seems to accept. Did you see last week that Elon Musk, the richest man in the world with monumental influence over a bunch of people, said he was officially becoming a republican because the democrats were too divisive? Think about that, the right uses insults and demonizes anyone who is left of Mitch McConnell, usually through outright lies that are easily disproven, but if the left pushes back or even just says what the truth is and how it can be confirmed,  its them that are being divisive. That's how a majority of this country thinks and their strategies works. Again, how do you counter this when the majority of voters have become braindead rage monsters?

You have to wait for them to start feeding on themselves.  Cawthorn is gone and apparently Boebert is next.  Kemp is going to beat Perdue.  Find a way to start them fighting amongst themselves and feed that.   That should be a part of the plan.  

8 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Counter-rage.  Reclaim patriotism - I am a fucking patriot. I believe in the Constitution and the rule of law.  I believe that those who would launch violent attacks on my country are fucking traitors.  I support people who stand in the breach against treasnous fuckbags.  I believe that we are strong because we are good, not that we are good because we are strong.  I believe that liars are fucking assholes, and they lie because they think you're stupid enough to believe them -- Americans, I don't believe you are stupid.  Sometimes you are frustrated, sometimes you have questions -- and that's good.  But you don't deserve to be led by people who lie about literally everything.  Say shit like that, and more.  Loudly.  Counter-attack.  Create tight sound bites, and repeat them over and over and over and over.  You know, the same tactics the treasonous fuckbags use, because they work.

image.jpeg.5dee46025c2273dea2959db529c6e1a4.jpeg

7 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Doing some poll greeting before work, during lunch and after work.  "Good morning!" (response: mumble)  "Good morning! (response: nothing) "Good morning!" (response: mumble)  "Good morning! (response: nothing)

It's the ones who respond you should worry about. 

For this cycle, I have done practically nothing.  I moved from Nebraska to Seattle last year.  Republicans aren't built for this climate.  I've given some green to a couple of Nebraskan Democrats in a Quixotic effort to loosen the grip of stupidity on my homeland.  It's more about penance than hope.  

On 5/23/2022 at 6:44 PM, Beau Vine said:
On 5/23/2022 at 9:52 AM, jimmyjazz said:
You didn't even have to shave your head, did you?

I grew out everything in the spring and went with the hippie look because the shaved head and goatee was signaling the wrong thing.

So you went from Anton Lavey to Charles Manson.

• Haha 1

So my guy, Derrik Gay, lost the primary to Jan McDowell, a more progressive, older woman who probably is a bit more in tune with the issues.  My concern, dudes, is that she just doesn't have the  je ne sais quoi to put a scare into the horrible Beth Van Duyne in #TX24.  So I'm spending some time trying to get even more of that quixotic spirit and readjust and get in shape for November.

@JanForCongress

Follow her so we can at least beat Beth Van Duyne on twitter!.

Also thought for a split second about whether it would be worth it to drive up to Houston NRA meeting with some bricks and bats and kick some ass (since you can't bring guns) and meet some 50 year old Dem talent, but I need to watch the grandkid this weekend.  Plus my wife won't let me get shot.  ("You saw Lone Star!")

charlie_wade_01.jpg?w=584&h=237

• Hook 'Em 2

• 5 weeks later...

So since I started this thread, we've had the school shootings and the end of Roe v. Wade.  Which to me means there is some room to capture some seats owned by the most despicable Republicans.

I'm hoping some of us get just a bit more active between now and November.

In a small bit of good news, we kept out the RISD Families First book burners from the Richardson school district a couple of weeks ago.  Two of their candidates were PAC supported CRT liars and we defeated both in a district that's just slightly blue.  (They couldn't gerrymander our school districts.) 

My participation was pretty minimal.  I wrote negative comments on the PACs bullshit youtube videos and was catty enough to get blocked from their twitter feed.