Southern Baptist leaders covered up clergy sexual abuse

bolverk

42 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There was a video that made some waves a few days ago of a pastor admitting to "adultery" only to be confronted by a victim RIGHT THERE on the stage. She was sixteen when the pastor "committed adultery" with her against her consent. Aka - raped a child.

https://orangebeanindiana.com/2022/05/22/pastor-of-indiana-church-admits-to-adultery-with-16-year-old/

The video is pretty fucking sickening. After the confrontation his entire congregation comes up and give the child rapist a big hug.

Insane to believe that such a culture that celebrates and protects child rapists has so much power in this country.

95% of evangelical congregations: “that little slut shouldn’t have seduced that good man!”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

14 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

95% of evangelical congregations: “that little slut shouldn’t have seduced that good man!”

What's so pernicious and evil about this example of the SBC's child rape culture is that he's couching his admittance of guilt in kinder, gentler, not-a-lie but not-the-whole-truth statements like "committing adultery" and hiding behind "we're all just sinful humans" and apologizing for "letting down my congregation". He's getting more love and support from the congregation than the CHILD RAPE VICTIM THATS CONFRONTING HER RAPIST!!! Sure, some of the congregation shows love and support for the victim and follow her out as she leaves - but the vast majority of the people there are just fucking programmed to love their pastor and religious leader and not fucking question anything. 

It's such an evil twisting of the teacher/student power dynamic and overlaying religion on top of it. 

The child rapist wasn't apologizing, he was seeking sympathy. He showed ZERO remorse for what he had done, even when directly confronted by it. And his """god fearing""" congregation fucking ate it up and gave the child rapist all the love and support he was seeking. Disgusting.

edit: the video is still up on facebook too (link)

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

13 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

What's so pernicious and evil about this example of the SBC's child rape culture is that he's couching his admittance of guilt in kinder, gentler, not-a-lie but not-the-whole-truth statements like "committing adultery" and hiding behind "we're all just sinful humans" and apologizing for "letting down my congregation". He's getting more love and support from the congregation than the CHILD RAPE VICTIM THATS CONFRONTING HER RAPIST!!! Sure, some of the congregation shows love and support for the victim and follow her out as she leaves - but the vast majority of the people there are just fucking programmed to love their pastor and religious leader and not fucking question anything. 

It's such an evil twisting of the teacher/student power dynamic and overlaying religion on top of it. 

The child rapist wasn't apologizing, he was seeking sympathy. He showed ZERO remorse for what he had done, even when directly confronted by it. And his """god fearing""" congregate fucking ate it up and gave the child rapist all the love and support he was seeking. Disgusting.

When you tie this shit into hideously antiquated and retrograde views of women (she was asking for it, she tempted him, if she didn't want this to happen, she should have done X, that little Jezebel), these outcomes are foregone conclusions.

See, e.g., Baylor.  Baptists hold such views.  See how the numerous rape victims were treated (that pretty little white girl shouldn't have been hanging around those black fellas -- what did she think was gonna happen?)

14 minutes ago, Captainant said:

The child rapist wasn't apologizing, he was seeking sympathy. He showed ZERO remorse for what he had done, even when directly confronted by it. And his """god fearing""" congregation fucking ate it up and gave the child rapist all the love and support he was seeking. Disgusting.

Christians are largely evil, pieces of shit, example...infinity.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Captainant said:

That church/pastor is not Baptist or SBC.  

2 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

That church/pastor is not Baptist or SBC.  

Fair point, but he's cut from the same cloth. That church looked and sounded and felt like every "nondenominational SBC" church that I've ever seen. Hell, their church website talks about starting a new revival and other fundagelical touchstones.

I'm sure we'll be getting more victims coming forward as the dams break - especially as the SBC nears the start of its convention this year.

On 5/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah, well, it's not just organized religion.  It's organized everything.  The Boy Scouts of America, USA Gymnastics, Michigan State University, Penn State.  And probably a thousand other organizations.  The reality is that any organization that puts children in the care of adults is going to attract predators.  And for whatever reason, it appears to be really hard to screen all of them out.

If it were simply a problem with screening, this would be a lot more understandable. The unforgivable thing about this is that the organizations actively cover rapes up because they have a major financial incentive to do so. If you attend an SBC or Catholic church, find a different church. At the very least, don't give them money. And Baylor, Penn State, and Michigan State shouldn't still have athletic departments. If I were an alumni of any of these schools, I would be done with them. It sucks that the government, the NCAA, whoever doesn't do anything, but we have to do our small part, too.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I would just say mankind in general.

But religions make themselves to be the moral authority. There's a special kind of next level evil of acting like a moral authority shaming people and making them believe an invisible force is going to punish them while simultaneously preying on their children. 

Just now, Hermanator said:

But religions make themselves to be the moral authority. There's a special kind of next level evil of acting like a moral authority shaming people and making them believe an invisible force is going to punish them while simultaneously preying on their children. 

Religions make themselves to be the moral authority?  How so?

I think you would find a great deal of Catholics that are disgusted with how the church has responded to the scandals.  I can't speak for every Catholic on why they go to mass, but I have my reasons.

Frankly, I find the current Pope to be as despicable as our politicians in this country.

Just now, Fondren & Main said:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

They literally demand you act how they want you to act, behave how they want you to behave, or else "God" will punish you. Their whole shtick is regulating behavior through claimed morality. 

I can't believe you actually said that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

This right here x a billion.

17 minutes ago, Fondren & Main said:

I think you would find a great deal of Catholics that are disgusted with how the church has responded to the scandals.  I can't speak for every Catholic on why they go to mass, but I have my reasons.

Frankly, I find the current Pope to be as despicable as our politicians in this country.

Fer reelz man?

11 minutes ago, Native Horn said:

Fer reelz man?

25 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

They literally demand you act how they want you to act, behave how they want you to behave, or else "God" will punish you. Their whole shtick is regulating behavior through claimed morality. 

I can't believe you actually said that. 

Yeah, I guess I was curious how an ideology makes itself a moral authority.  If you want to say that the people running the system are hypocrites then I agree, but that's not what you said.  Just wanted clarification.

If you visit that church’s website, you’ll see (or would have seen last night before they started changing things) that the entire ministerial staff has the same last name; it looks like (rapey) husband, wife, adult child and spouse.

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

Assuming the screening fails, the worst of it is ignoring it and in many cases shaming and silencing the victim. If someone in my organization was caught diddling a kid I’d fight off the urge to beat them with a baseball bat and call the police, not reassign them. Religion is particularly bad amongst your other examples because they truly seem to believe that the diddlers don’t deserve punishment because of gods plan or mysterious ways or some bullshit. And seeing as they are supposed to be places to teach morality the worst part is the hypocrisy. Okay the second worse part is the hypocrisy.

I think there are a couple things at play with churches (and in particular the Catholic Church) that are somewhat distinct:

1) The religion is based on the concept of forgiveness.  So if you have a priest who says all the right things about asking for forgiveness and vowing to go forth and sin no more and all that stuff, the Church is just institutionally predisposed to forgive him.

2) The Church has a long history (with plenty of historical bases) for not trusting secular authorities.  And so when you have an organization that is institutionally paranoid about governmental interference in its affairs, it's not surprising that it may not be eager to turn over priests to secular authorities.

I don't find either of these excuses to be particularly availing.  I don't actually find them to be excuses at all.  They're more a kind of an explanation when one asks "how the fuck did this happen?".  And on the second point, I can see some basis for the concern, now that we have the entire Republican Party accusing people with whom they don't agree of being "groomers."  But still--it's not a particularly valid explanation.

As to the Boy Scouts and USA Gymnastics and Penn State and the SBC, . . . yeah, I got nothing.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I think there are a couple things at play with churches (and in particular the Catholic Church) that are somewhat distinct:

1) The religion is based on the concept of forgiveness.  So if you have a priest who says all the right things about asking for forgiveness and vowing to go forth and sin no more and all that stuff, the Church is just institutionally predisposed to forgive him.

2) The Church has a long history (with plenty of historical bases) for not trusting secular authorities.  And so when you have an organization that is institutionally paranoid about governmental interference in its affairs, it's not surprising that it may not be eager to turn over priests to secular authorities.

I don't find either of these excuses to be particularly availing.  I don't actually find them to be excuses at all.  They're more a kind of an explanation when one asks "how the fuck did this happen?".  And on the second point, I can see some basis for the concern, now that we have the entire Republican Party accusing people with whom they don't agree of being "groomers."  But still--it's not a particularly valid explanation.

As to the Boy Scouts and USA Gymnastics and Penn State and the SBC, . . . yeah, I got nothing.

Definitely agreed on the "culture of forgiveness."  But, that's one thing.  Reporting to the proper authorities and seeing someone receive their just worldly punishment, or avoiding that entirely, is another thing altogether.

I suppose another thing at work here is "rape culture," which includes a) disbelief of accusers and b) general reluctance to believe that someone you know as an otherwise good person (pastor, music minister, assistant scoutmaster, gym teacher, whatever) has committed awful crimes.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Definitely agreed on the "culture of forgiveness."  But, that's one thing.  Reporting to the proper authorities and seeing someone receive their just worldly punishment, or avoiding that entirely, is another thing altogether.

I suppose another thing at work here is "rape culture," which includes a) disbelief of accusers and b) general reluctance to believe that someone you know as an otherwise good person (pastor, music minister, assistant scoutmaster, gym teacher, whatever) has committed awful crimes.

The "culture of forgiveness" within the Baptist church is a really twisted thing. They have an expression "once saved, always saved" which pretty much gives a green light for all kinds of nefarious behavior, so long as you ask for forgiveness afterward. Having grown up in the SBC-affiliated First Baptist Church of my hometown, I saw the hypocrisy that belief system engendered first hand.

Kids from upstanding Baptist families that held leadership positions in the community, including the son of a conservative state rep, would gleefully participate in coke-fueled parties but sit piously in the pews Sunday mornings. Many of the same football studs would hang out at the house of an older gentleman, who happened to own a local oil company, were widely known to have exchanged favors for the white powder.

I wasn't part of that crowd, but I distinctly recall a buddy of theirs coming up to me and outright accusing me of going to hell because I hung out with some of the freaks and geeks of my high school and liked to listen to "different" music had stopped going to church. Their obsession with hell was something else too. Once at some lock-in, the youth pastor dimmed the lights and held a lit candle upside down over a bucket with water so that each drop of wax would make a sizzle sound, saying each drop was a soul going to hell.

It was all part of the indoctrination. Get saved or you're going to hell. But, once saved, you have a free pass to be a first-rate piece of shit. Seemed that the lesson sunk in pretty well enough that the aforementioned dickheads continued to be horrible people. After that little lesson I was done with the church for good, which is why I was later accused of being hell bound. Shit, had I actually date raped some chick but kept going to church -- like one of those dudes that went to that church -- all would've been good from their end.

Turns out, he was forgiven.

• Hook 'Em 4

27 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The "culture of forgiveness" within the Baptist church is a really twisted thing. They have an expression "once saved, always saved" which pretty much gives a green light for all kinds of nefarious behavior, so long as you ask for forgiveness afterward. 

The Office Ryan GIF

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, bolverk said:

The "culture of forgiveness" within the Baptist church is a really twisted thing. They have an expression "once saved, always saved" which pretty much gives a green light for all kinds of nefarious behavior, so long as you ask for forgiveness afterward. Having grown up in the SBC-affiliated First Baptist Church of my hometown, I saw the hypocrisy that belief system engendered first hand.

Nailed it!!!!!!!

The culture of OSAS is toxic. I've seen what you have described myself. Basically make your profession of faith and be baptized then you get a get out of jail card for life. As long as you do the first two you can be the worst version of yourself because it doesn't matter. You said the words and got dunked and all is eternally forgiven.

Southern Baptists theology is a hodge podge of Calvinism and Arminianism and some how pop out the most useless form of Christianity. Baptists don't differentiate between mass murder and drinking beer. A sin is a sin.

It's a terrible faith.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I grew up Baptist, but I never saw this culture of once you are saved you are always saved and can do whatever you want. Yes, they said once saved always saved, but there was always the caveat that someone who behaved like that must have never been truly saved in the first place. It's basically a cop out in order to maintain the tradition of misinterpreting a single verse out of context and then building a greater theology around it. If there were stories about people doing stuff like that and then sitting in the pew Sunday mornings to ask for forgiveness, they were always aimed at Catholics. I guess spending a few hundred years killing each other because switching sides gave your lord justification to attack his neighbor bred a but of enmity between them.

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit.  They are releasing a list of hundreds of pastors and other personnel who were doing this shit.  They expect the list to drop on Thursday.

https://apnews.com/article/religion-baptist-sexual-abuse-southern-convention-by-clergy-d5e3f4919cc2747d27386bbdcbf631e6

Guys on the list will probably sue and get rich. 

16 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Holy shit.  They are releasing a list of hundreds of pastors and other personnel who were doing this shit.  They expect the list to drop on Thursday.

https://apnews.com/article/religion-baptist-sexual-abuse-southern-convention-by-clergy-d5e3f4919cc2747d27386bbdcbf631e6

Jesus that article. The SBC has the exact same energy as a rotten police department protecting its bad apples. They had literal documentary evidence and records of child rapists and sexual abusers AND DID NOTHING ABOUT IT! For all the raging over "grooming" and "pedos" I see from sack and seed, it's surprising to see such absence on this particular bit of news from them.

• Hook 'Em 3

32 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Jesus that article. The SBC has the exact same energy as a rotten police department protecting its bad apples. They had literal documentary evidence and records of child rapists and sexual abusers AND DID NOTHING ABOUT IT! For all the raging over "grooming" and "pedos" I see from sack and seed, it's surprising to see such absence on this particular bit of news from them.

2dmk14.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

I grew up Baptist, but I never saw this culture of once you are saved you are always saved and can do whatever you want. Yes, they said once saved always saved, but there was always the caveat that someone who behaved like that must have never been truly saved in the first place. It's basically a cop out in order to maintain the tradition of misinterpreting a single verse out of context and then building a greater theology around it. If there were stories about people doing stuff like that and then sitting in the pew Sunday mornings to ask for forgiveness, they were always aimed at Catholics. I guess spending a few hundred years killing each other because switching sides gave your lord justification to attack his neighbor bred a but of enmity between them.

What were their thoughts on the Prodigal Son?

7 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Yes, they said once saved always saved, but there was always the caveat that someone who behaved like that must have never been truly saved in the first place.

This is a watered down version of "perseverance of the saints" in Calvinist doctrine which requires determinism but Baptists don't fully commit to the doctrine so they toss this caveat out there. Which makes no sense when it's tied to Christian free will. One is free to choose salvation but not free to leave it and since it's not earned there really is nothing required to do, just be.

You get the assurance of being saved with the freedom of being a shitty person. I really believe this is why so many Southern Baptists are assholes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, F250 said:

Nailed it!!!!!!!

The culture of OSAS is toxic. I've seen what you have described myself. Basically make your profession of faith and be baptized then you get a get out of jail card for life. As long as you do the first two you can be the worst version of yourself because it doesn't matter. You said the words and got dunked and all is eternally forgiven.

Southern Baptists theology is a hodge podge of Calvinism and Arminianism and some how pop out the most useless form of Christianity. Baptists don't differentiate between mass murder and drinking beer. A sin is a sin.

It's a terrible faith.

Well, to be honest, most Baptists aren't real strong on theology, as if anyone is.  They don't know jack about them cartoons and Kardashians and whatnot.

The congregationalist fundamental nature of the Baptist church does a lot to insure that ignorance.

5 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well, to be honest, most Baptists aren't real strong on theology, as if anyone is.  They don't know jack about them cartoons and Kardashians and whatnot.

The congregationalist fundamental nature of the Baptist church does a lot to insure that ignorance.

They are really really bad at it. I do agree that the nature of congregationalism contributes to it. It's a big reason why different SBC churches will be a 3 point, 4 point, etc.. Calvinist. Each congregation just kind goes along with whatever direction their deacons decide. It's ridiculous because Calvinism is predicated on theistic determinism and removing any of the pillars causes the entire theology to  collapse. They are all logical consequences of determinism you can't just insert free will here and there.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, Captainant said:

Semi-related as they aren't "southern baptists" but rather "independent baptists" who live in the south:

(AP News): Judge sentences former reality TV star Josh Duggar to more than 12 years in prison for child pornography conviction

Most independent baptists don't associate with the SBC or any of the other major Baptist conventions because they think they are too liberal.

List supposed to be released this evening

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2022/05/26/southern-baptist-database-sex-abuse/

The database, which an SBC attorney said includes people who have been criminally convicted of abuse and those who have confessed to abuse, is expected to show what top leaders knew behind the scenes while telling Southern Baptists they could not create a list of accused abusers because the denomination is not hierarchical and churches operate independently from each other.

Before releasing the list, attorneys for the SBC said they would redact survivors’ names and try to ensure that they only include names of people who were “credibly accused.” That includes pastors, denominational workers, ministry employees or volunteers who have confessed to abuse, been convicted in a court of law, or had a civil judgment rendered against them. Also, an independent third party could determine that someone was “credibly accused” by a “preponderance of the evidence.”

list is out

https://sbcec.s3.amazonaws.com/FINAL+-+List+of+Alleged+Abusers+-+SBC+REDACTED.pdf

700 names, just the last 20 years or so

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/southern-baptist-convention-leaders-release-secret-accused-abuser-list/

The Guidepost report, released after a seven-month investigation, contained several explosive revelations. Among them: D. August Boto, the committee's former vice president and general counsel, and former SBC spokesman Roger Oldham kept their own private list of abusive ministers. Both retired in 2019. The existence of the list was not widely known within the committee and its staff.

"Despite collecting these reports for more than 10 years, there is no indication that (Oldham and Boto) or anyone else, took any action to ensure that the accused ministers were no longer in positions of power at SBC churches," the report said.

Also in the report was a shocking allegation that Johnny Hunt, a Georgia-based pastor and former SBC president, sexually assaulted another pastor's wife during a beach vacation in 2010. Hunt has disputed the allegation, saying in a statement that he has "never abused anybody."

He resigned May 13 as senior vice president of evangelism and leadership at the North American Mission Board, the SBC's domestic missions agency. On Wednesday, NAMB leaders announced changes to address the issue including committing to investigate abuse accusations and creating an Abuse Prevention and Response Committee to assess and strengthen existing policies and procedures.

20 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

This was probably fought tooth-and-nail.

"I light of learning that our baptist leaders have shamed victims and covered up abuse, please be sure to report any abuse to our super secret email address for such reports."

What the actual fuck?

I personally know, or rather knew, one redacted name on the list. At least in that case, everything was handled appropriately: background check prior to hiring (and no history — he was pretty young at the time of the crimes), the kids came forward the day it happened, he was in jail and fired by the evening, and everything was public and in the open (public statement detailing the crime by the institution shortly afterwards and punished in various church-affiliated news sources). I don’t know the details of what procedures the institution had in place to protect against this kind of thing or exactly what went down, but there certainly wasn’t a cover up there at all.

When I was a kid we went on a youth camping trip. Our new youth pastor was in charge and a little weird. Dude was dropping F bombs and kind of manic. Around the campfire he was giving everyone hugs and my buddy said "that dude is looking for someone's butt cheeks to get into." lulz 

He ended up running off with a 17 year old girl from the youth group after stealing church funds.

A friend of mine attended another nearby Baptist church that I would occasionally visit. There was a 16 year old girl that had some serious family issues and she ended up living with this weird 40 year old dude that played the piano during services. Shockingly she ended up pregnant.

Finally finished scanning through that list. Kinda like diggin around in a turd with a toothpick tryin to find a peanut.

Didn't see any cases before the late 80s. Is that when they started it? I wanted to check on 60s and 70s.

Did have one scare where I thought one rapist might be a fellow high school classmate. Had to dig out the yearbook to see it wasn't.

Another one was a Rev. FunnyLastName who in 2008 hit the skids in a town about an hour from my old hometown, where an older Rev. FunnyLastName had to leave town in the 70s because, word on the street, he'd fooled around with some woman in his flock. I wonder if "fooled around" was really "raped," and "woman" was "girl." Also, did he have some kid who kept up the business?

1 hour ago, RDCanecutter said:

I wonder if "fooled around" was really "raped," and "woman" was "girl." Also, did he have some kid who kept up the business?

There's about a 50/50 chance of that being the case.

• 2 months later...