Fuck HS graduation ceremonies

GhostOfTomJoad

I skipped my college graduation.  Packed my shit and headed to Houston the morning after my last final.  I don’t believe my family cared too much, it was expected we go and graduate.  I would have gone but was out of town for nephew (in town), and will attend his sisters grad in a year or two.  I’ve known them both since they were babies, so I’ll deal with it.  Don’t figure I’ll attend their college walks tho, unless it’s to see family I haven’t seen in forever. 

I absolutely HATE kindergarten graduations. In fact, I hate any "graduation" that isn't high school or college. However, my youngest sibling "graduated" from kindergarten a few years ago. I thought it was ridiculously stupid, but since she and my parents were leaving Texas and moving to Arizona later that summer I felt that it was an appropriate way to say goodbye to all her friends and teachers since she was never going to see them again.  

On 5/23/2022 at 8:38 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

i mean, it could be worse....

you could have forced the graduates to attend the Twilight movie rather than watch Colt's final home game.....

OMG the nostalgia! I had forgotten about that! That thread was an instant classic. Thanks for bringing it back up. 

48 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

I absolutely HATE kindergarten graduations. In fact, I hate any "graduation" that isn't high school or college. However, my youngest sibling "graduated" from kindergarten a few years ago. I thought it was ridiculously stupid, but since she and my parents were leaving Texas and moving to Arizona later that summer I felt that it was an appropriate way to say goodbye to all her friends and teachers since she was never going to see them again.  

Agreed on that kindergarten and 8th grade bullshit.

See also: military training  graduations.  My mom was all upset she couldn't come to my graduation parade/ ceremony for Basic Training in San Diego.  I just told her that I wasn't sad, because the moment we were dismissed, I was headed for the airport to come home. My boys have said the same thing, "we've been here X-amount of weeks, we're ready to GTFO of here!"

[mention=109]GhostOfTomJoad[/mention] is this your SIL(wife's twin) son from Spring? If so, please tell me the SIL isn't going ape shit again with a bullshit celebration week. 
It is and no, no bullshit, 5 day long celebration. That was reserved for the niece 4 years ago. My wife telling her sis to pound sand made me proud.

This is the nephew so almost no extra effort required. Be at the house by 4 tomorrow for dinner & brief celebration before the 8pm ceremony. We'll be lucky to get back to the hotel before midnight. Hope to be back home by noon Sat.
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Helobious said:

I don’t get the point/joke you’re making. It’ll probably offend you to know that they did the speeches in both English & Spanish. Still only took 15 minutes total.

That’s pretty damned efficient and knowing their place. It is not about some boring ass big shot’s speech that nobody gives a shit for. 
It’s, about getting that diploma and going off to celebrate which ever way and with whomever they want.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, slorch said:

Agreed on that kindergarten and 8th grade bullshit.

See also: military training  graduations.  My mom was all upset she couldn't come to my graduation parade/ ceremony for Basic Training in San Diego.  I just told her that I wasn't sad, because the moment we were dismissed, I was headed for the airport to come home. My boys have said the same thing, "we've been here X-amount of weeks, we're ready to GTFO of here!"

On 5/26/2022 at 9:28 AM, MissingInAction said:

My sister expects everyone to be at every fucking event for her kid because in her mind she's the only mother thats ever existed. 

Baby showers, birthdays, 6th grade graduation, middle school graduation, and now high school. Fuck that shit. My nephew is an asshole anyway.

Like uncle, like nephew, amirite?

Anyway, bunch of grumps up in here. I go to my small town's hs graduation every year. As a matter of fact, just got back from it a few hours ago. Not that many graduates, but I usually know a couple of em, or their families. Friends with a couple of the teachers/coaches.

Heavy police presence inside and outside the building though.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

Like uncle, like nephew, amirite?

Anyway, bunch of grumps up in here. I go to my small town's hs graduation every year. As a matter of fact, just got back from it a few hours ago. Not that many graduates, but I usually know a couple of em, or their families. Friends with a couple of the teachers/coaches.

Heavy police presence inside and outside the building though.

How's the new crop of freshman chicks lookin?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/23/2022 at 9:14 PM, demos said:

HS graduation was definitely more about parents and grandparents.

College graduation - didn’t go. Said mail me the diploma. Threw a party instead.

Yeah, I blew off my college graduation. Had no desire to attend a ceremony with thousands of graduates on a hot day at the stadium. I’m not sure if any of my family would’ve made the trip to attend anyway. I picked up my diploma at the registrar’s office. The walk to there from my apartment wasn’t much farther than the walk to the stadium. It took me practically no time at all.

High school graduation was fun. Had a little party at home afterward. My best gift was from a family friend who gave me a dictionary. Later some friends and I went off and drank some beers in a church parking lot. Then we went and broke into the grade school in a neighboring town. (Two towns contributed to our high school and some of our friends were from that town.)

We didn’t really break in. They just knew that we could climb up on the roof and enter through an unlocked window. We wandered around a little bit, wound up in the janitor’s room where someone mistook a coat on a hook for a person and freaked out so we all ran out the front door of the building. Just then a security car was driving by, cops were called to the scene, and all but one of us were apprehended. I’ll never forget the scene when I got placed in the patrol car where my friend Jim was already sitting. “Hey, Jim:”

Fortunately, Jim was the grandson of a prominent doctor in my hometown and, better yet, another one of our cohorts was the son of the local sheriff. So they just called our parents to come pick us up and no one ever faced any charges.

The guy who escaped capture was from my hometown and I have no idea how he ever made it home. Boy, was my mom pissed. But that’s a fond memory for me. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Can’t stand them. 

Oldest kid graduated from Austin Bowie when we still lived in Austin. At the FEC. Long as fuck. Luckily he was front part of alphabet, so everyone but wife and I left after his name was called. They all went to our house to start up the party and wait on us to get there. 

Second kid didn’t get to walk. Skipped too much school. Thank you, son!!!

Had to go to a graduation for a niece last year. Fuck!  I really wanted a beer. We didn’t get back home that night til around midnight. 

I will go to my two daughters’, assuming they get to walk, but that’s it. Those fucking things are way too fucking long. 

The craziest part is that we act like graduating high school is an achievement worth celebrating anymore.  Congratulations!  You have surmounted the absolutely lowest imaginable bar possible for achievement!  Now get out there and change the world!

Don't get me wrong - go have a party and enjoy the end of the drudgery that is high school.  But the ceremonies are stupid, especially when they're filled with white trash morons blasting air horns and cheering like their kid just accomplished something amazing rather than the reality - he or she managed to show up to school each day for at least 60% of the time and they're getting a participation certificate for the trouble.

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Yeah, I blew off my college graduation. Had no desire to attend a ceremony with thousands of graduates on a hot day at the stadium. I’m not sure if any of my family would’ve made the trip to attend anyway. I picked up my diploma at the registrar’s office. The walk to there from my apartment wasn’t much farther than the walk to the stadium. It took me practically no time at all.

High school graduation was fun. Had a little party at home afterward. My best gift was from a family friend who gave me a dictionary. Later some friends and I went off and drank some beers in a church parking lot. Then we went and broke into the grade school in a neighboring town. (Two towns contributed to our high school and some of our friends were from that town.)

We didn’t really break in. They just knew that we could climb up on the roof and enter through an unlocked window. We wandered around a little bit, wound up in the janitor’s room where someone mistook a coat on a hook for a person and freaked out so we all ran out the front door of the building. Just then a security car was driving by, cops were called to the scene, and all but one of us were apprehended. I’ll never forget the scene when I got placed in the patrol car where my friend Jim was already sitting. “Hey, Jim:”

Fortunately, Jim was the grandson of a prominent doctor in my hometown and, better yet, another one of our cohorts was the son of the local sheriff. So they just called our parents to come pick us up and no one ever faced any charges.

The guy who escaped capture was from my hometown and I have no idea how he ever made it home. Boy, was my mom pissed. But that’s a fond memory for me. 

You forgot.../csb

4 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

You forgot.../csb

That’s still a foreign concept to me.

But it was, wasn’t it?

I’ll add a little more to the story. The cops had us all sitting on these little short benches in the hallway of the kindergarten section of the school. They walked down the hall, discussing what they should do with us. My friend Scott, the son of the local sheriff, said “Let’s go, guys!” and started stomping his feet on the floor. And so we all started stomping our feet on the floor. You should’ve seen the look on those cops’ faces as they whirled around thinking we were all fleeing.

/csb 

There. Happy now?

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That’s still a foreign concept to me.

But it was, wasn’t it?

I’ll add a little more to the story. The cops had us all sitting on these little short benches in the hallway of the kindergarten section of the school. They walked down the hall, discussing what they should do with us. My friend Scott, the son of the local sheriff, said “Let’s go, guys!” and started stomping his feet on the floor. And so we all started stomping our feet on the floor. You should’ve seen the look on those cops’ faces as they whirled around thinking we were all fleeing.

/csb 

There. Happy now?

Where this happened here, they got three stop
Signs, two police officers, and one police car, but when we got to the
Scene of the Crime there was five police officers and three police cars,
Being the biggest crime of the last fifty years, and everybody wanted to
Get in the newspaper story about it. And they was using up all kinds of
Cop equipment that they had hanging around the police officer's station.
They was taking plaster tire tracks, foot prints, dog smelling prints, and
They took twenty seven eight-by-ten colour glossy photographs with circles
And arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each
One was to be used as evidence against us. Took pictures of the approach,
The getaway, the northwest corner the southwest corner and that's not to
Mention the aerial photography.

/CSB/

• Hook 'Em 1

On 5/26/2022 at 9:17 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

They speak Mandarin mostly in Taiwan I believe

Correct.

Mandarin Chinese and Taiwanese are two very different dialects. Mandarin has 4 tones, Taiwanese 8 (or 5 depending on school of thought). The two are not similar enough to communicate verbally. Mandarin is by far the standard and is the "universal" dialect for all Chinese to speak to each other. In the current generations, unless you grow up with old relatives who speak Taiwanese or are in a part of the country with many speakers, young Taiwan people are not learning Taiwanese any more.

If you want to rabbit hole:
https://www.quora.com/How-different-are-Mandarin-and-Taiwanese

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I just want to say fuck the schools that decide to have graduation at the football stadium in Texas in late May

Yup! Niece (no pics) graduated this past Saturday morning in a football stadium. Thank god I had work and that she was limited on tickets so I didn't have to go. One of my brothers sent me a video of him telling her after she walked, "congrats! Now you gotta pay bills!"

• 4 weeks later...