2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

We're sticking it out in Naples.  Forecasts have shown us in the tropical storm range but this southerly trend does have me worried.  The next county up (Lee County) has an evacuation order in for zone A and B.  We are in zone A in Collier County so it's a little close for comfort right now but it would take a significant wobble to the east for us to get the big storm surge.  Right now we're predicted at 3-5'.

You might want to rethink that. I don’t think you want anything to do with a Cat 4 storm.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

We haven't left yet but I do have a hotel booked in Miami. The stickler is that we have two 80 lb dogs and it's going to be miserable for us either way. Our street can take up to a 9-10 ft surge before it gets wet. We are forecast for 5-8' which I know is a little close for comfort. My friends across Vanderbilt Beach Rd on the fingers are fucked if it gets to 8'.

We will continue to watch the forecast and will make a decision by 7 PM. A northward trend would be good for us but then I feel for those poor people up north. A lot of people are going to get fucked by this storm.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards going but we do have some time to watch the forecast. The drive to Miami right now is only about 15 minutes longer than normal so that isn't a huge concern yet.

• Hook 'Em 1

IMO, I would get on the road asap. I think this will be a Ft Myers storm.

Buncha nerds at the below links. Although they DO want worst case scenarios, there is some really valuable info in the "Discussion" and "Models" threads.

https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=123005&start=3380

https://www.storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=123007&start=3240

Just announce parts of zone C evacuation in Lee County

Just finished putting up the last shutter (left one of the sliders open - will put it up before I go to bed tonight),

We are staying. I am far enough inland that storm surge won't be an issue.

Schools in Collier now canceled through Thursday.

Rain pretyy steady now but no wind yet.

Here is a cam at Southern Most Point in KW, getting rougher for sure.

https://southernmostpointwebcam.com/ 

Naples Pier cam still calm

https://naplespanorama.org/

1 hour ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Just announce parts of zone C evacuation in Lee County

Just finished putting up the last shutter (left one of the sliders open - will put it up before I go to bed tonight),

We are staying. I am far enough inland that storm surge won't be an issue.

Schools in Collier now canceled through Thursday.

Rain pretyy steady now but no wind yet.

Here is a cam at Southern Most Point in KW, getting rougher for sure.

https://southernmostpointwebcam.com/ 

Naples Pier cam still calm

https://naplespanorama.org/

Hey, here's Darwinism in real time.

2022-09-27_15-15-48

1 hour ago, VABuckeye said:

We haven't left yet but I do have a hotel booked in Miami. The stickler is that we have two 80 lb dogs and it's going to be miserable for us either way. Our street can take up to a 9-10 ft surge before it gets wet. We are forecast for 5-8' which I know is a little close for comfort. My friends across Vanderbilt Beach Rd on the fingers are fucked if it gets to 8'.

We will continue to watch the forecast and will make a decision by 7 PM. A northward trend would be good for us but then I feel for those poor people up north. A lot of people are going to get fucked by this storm.

Right now I am leaning heavily towards going but we do have some time to watch the forecast. The drive to Miami right now is only about 15 minutes longer than normal so that isn't a huge concern yet.

You don’t want any part of a cat 4 storm. Fuck the surge you are looking at 8 plus hrs of hurricane force winds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

For those of y'all staying put in Florida, buckle up, and here's wishing you the best.

ALSO, a hint my family learned during Ike: take tupperware containers, fill them with water, and put them in your freezer.  Those will give you blocks of ice to keep drinks and such cold for several days (and will keep your freezer from thawing out, if you can get power back in 2-3 days).  It's gonna be the "hot and humid weather, with no AC" that wears on you the most, presuming that your property survives major damage.  Cold drinks and ice blocks help buy you a few days.

Make sure all your backup batteries for phones and such are fully charged, too.  That also buys you several days of communications without having to charge them out at your running car.

Good luck, guys.  And F hurricanes.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

For those of y'all staying put in Florida, buckle up, and here's wishing you the best.

ALSO, a hint my family learned during Ike: take tupperware containers, fill them with water, and put them in your freezer.  Those will give you blocks of ice to keep drinks and such cold for several days (and will keep your freezer from thawing out, if you can get power back in 2-3 days).  It's gonna be the "hot and humid weather, with no AC" that wears on you the most, presuming that your property survives major damage.  Cold drinks and ice blocks help buy you a few days.

Make sure all your backup batteries for phones and such are fully charged, too.  That also buys you several days of communications without having to charge them out at your running car.

Good luck, guys.  And F hurricanes.

as much water in the fridge as possible as well. lots of thermal mass to keep stuff cooler, longer. 

edit: also leave your wireless thermometer probe in there so you can monitor the temp (wired might be ok though it does break the seal there a bit)

Edited by elfenix
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, elfenix said:

as much water in the fridge as possible as well. lots of thermal mass to keep stuff cooler, longer. 

. . . and when the power goes out, don't open the fridge/freezer doors for the usual "stare and eventually select" game.  Know what's in there, grab it, shut those doors pronto.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Let me know if you need some support in Miami.  I got about 45 men there and some yard space, etc. 

• Hook 'Em 4

21 minutes ago, Hate said:

Latest Euro has it crossing over and hitting the South Carolina-Georgia border.  I'm going to go ahead and guess that Ian gets retired. 

ecmwf_mslp_pcpn_us_fh3-84.gif

Shit, that looks like it is going to hit Nashville and maybe go up 65 to Louisville, Indianapolis, and Chicago.

11 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

We're sticking it out in Naples.  Forecasts have shown us in the tropical storm range but this southerly trend does have me worried.  The next county up (Lee County) has an evacuation order in for zone A and B.  We are in zone A in Collier County so it's a little close for comfort right now but it would take a significant wobble to the east for us to get the big storm surge.  Right now we're predicted at 3-5'.

You may have chosen....poorly:

Stumbled across these articles when doing a little research on which insurance companies had the greatest exposure in Florida. Sounds like there has been general fuckery going on which has caused a few companies to fail with several more on shaky ground. The highest average property insurance in the nation could be getting worse, especially if Florida gets some additional large storms later in the season. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hurricane-ian-reignites-panic-floridas-strapped-insurance-market-rcna49687

https://www.reinsurancene.ws/large-nationwide-homeowners-insurers-have-most-cat-exposure-to-hurricane-ian/