2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

28 minutes ago, LonghornJones said:

Is anyone looking at a webcam between Tampa and Ft Myers? I cant find anything that works.

theres a bunch of webcam links in the reddit page I posted last night: 

Including another page of webcam links: https://old.reddit.com/r/controllablewebcams/comments/xow5yd/hurricane_ian_florida_weather_cameras_live_video/

And this aggregated page of youtube streams has a few webcams: https://multistream.co/p/7t1VnwTev2H/Hurricane_Ian

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, texasdago said:

What's amazing to me is people seeing the absolute devastation that occurred with Michael in 2018 (see Pensacola, Mexico Beach, etc.) and thinking, "yeah, I'm good... I'll just hang out here"

An acquaintance from here in MN is currently hunkered down at her folks' place near Fort Myers. They never said if they were in an evacuation zone. I'm afraid they have no idea what is about to happen.

32 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Has anyone seen any reporting on how many people were staying vs leaving? Sure seems like a whole lot of people decided to be idiots and brave it out.

To be fair that's a lot of people to evacuate with limited means/routes.  Plus, the storm is so big it's really hard to "get" somewhere that isn't potentially just as bad to where many might be already.  That said, it's concerning that many of the designated shelters don't appear to be anywhere close to full.

Talked yesterday with a law school buddy of mine in Fort Myers.  He is riding it out.  He's about a block east of the evacuation zone (right near the Edison and Ford winter homes). 

Edited by DDD Dad

8 minutes ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Local nbc Calling a landfall at sanibel captiva now

Going to suck, Charley did a number on the islands as a smaller hurricane that hit it more centered and crossed where Ian is going to catch it with the eastern edge  and run up it as a much larger, more powerful storm. Captiva is easily going to be washed over with this one.

18 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

. . . and when the power goes out, don't open the fridge/freezer doors for the usual "stare and eventually select" game.  Know what's in there, grab it, shut those doors pronto.

You need to put five days of food in a really good yeti type cooler full of ice.  Eat out of that and do not open the fridge or freezer for days.  Put the temp control on coldest the day before you expect the power out. 

Put a quarter on a frozen water filled shot glass.  When you come home and stuff is frozen, but the quarter is 1/2 down the glass, you know your freezer  was below 32degrees for a long time. 

I have a small inverter generator just dedicated to the fridge.   If everything else fails, and my big gen for transfer switch fails, I can run it one out of four hours and keep my freezer cold.   .5 gallon of gas is four hours of small gen, giving me 20 hours of freezer cold.  

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

You need to put five days of food in a really good yeti type cooler full of ice.  Eat out of that and do not open the fridge or freezer for days.  Put the temp control on coldest the day before you expect the power out. 

Put a quarter on a frozen water filled shot glass.  When you come home and stuff is frozen, but the quarter is 1/2 down the glass, you know your freezer  was below 32degrees for a long time. 

I have a small inverter generator just dedicated to the fridge.   If everything else fails, and my big gen for transfer switch fails, I can run it one out of four hours and keep my freezer cold.   .5 gallon of gas is four hours of small gen, giving me 20 hours of freezer cold.  

I use that trick for the freezer at the ranch.

• Hook 'Em 1

Lost power 30 minutes ago, fired up the generator, started right away. I have a portable that I have hooked into my panel. I will be investing in a whole home generator before next season.

Winds are definitely lightening up here. FPL is busting their asses getting power back up. Hopefully we will be back soon.

7 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Looks like they've lost a couple of webcams from the feed above.

They have been dropping and then coming back up. He said earlier they have multiple ways to upload video from them, so they have to give them time to load when one source goes down. Apparently, they are some sort of specially designed cameras in Pelican cases that they attach to fixed mounts in multiple locations. It was pretty interesting while I listened for a few minutes, except for all the other BS he was going through.

• Hook 'Em 1