2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

11 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Hell we bought a bunch of water bottles and ice bags for our deep freeze over the summer when we were worried about the grid. 50% of our deep freeze is frozen water bottles. The other 50% is bacon, eggos and ice cream.

Come what may.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I get why Jim Cantore does what he does but stupid doesn't even cover it anymore... he's gone to reckless.

Was really wanting him to catch some sort of large, windblown sphere to the  head while wearing that stupid batting helmet.

3 hours ago, Brew said:

I suck at posting, first one is already posted. Second one is the one I was trying to post.

Good thing you sold when you did. There are some Instagram stories from some random who stayed on Captiva and his last updates were 4 hours ago as the second wall was starting to hit and the storm surge was coming in. I am guessing the entire island is under water at this point. Ugh.

Edit not sure how to link to stories. Here's his profile.

https://instagram.com/kalanbishopadmire23?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Edited by Baboontyme

13 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Good thing you sold when you did. There are some Instagram stories from some random who stayed on Captiva and his last updates were 4 hours ago as the second wall was starting to hit and the storm surge was coming in. I am guessing the entire island is under water at this point. Ugh.

Edit not sure how to link to stories. Here's his profile.

https://instagram.com/kalanbishopadmire23?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Timing was favorable for once. Our place should be mostly okay other than siding damage and landscaping. Everything was retrofitted to withstand 150+ MPH winds and 14 feet of water with blow out walls on the ground floor. The place we were buying that fell through was right on the water direct facing West though, so there is no doubt it is under water.

I saw some pictures earlier out of Captiva. There is a lot of wind damage, but the water had receded. Bubble Room took a beating, but it was all still standing in that area. The islands are mostly designed for this, but there are still a lot of ground level properties that are going to be flooded out. A lot changed post Charley that hopefully helped.

15 minutes ago, Brew said:

Timing was favorable for once. Our place should be mostly okay other than siding damage and landscaping. Everything was retrofitted to withstand 150+ MPH winds and 14 feet of water with blow out walls on the ground floor. The place we were buying that fell through was right on the water direct facing West though, so there is no doubt it is under water.

I saw some pictures earlier out of Captiva. There is a lot of wind damage, but the water had receded. Bubble Room took a beating, but it was all still standing in that area. The islands are mostly designed for this, but there are still a lot of ground level properties that are going to be flooded out. A lot changed post Charley that hopefully helped.

Some guy on Twitter is claiming the Mucky Duck is "gone". Sad stuff either way. I hope everyone that stayed is safe. 

2 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Update. We evacuated this morning. The good news is that if we get past the 3 am high tide the house will survive as will the wine.  We are now safe in Miami. 

The bad news is that friends across Vanderbilt Beach Road on the fingers have all lost their houses. Total devastation from the surge. 

Nice humble brag.  Bonus points for being well timed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

Some guy on Twitter is claiming the Mucky Duck is "gone". Sad stuff either way. I hope everyone that stayed is safe. 

Wouldn’t surprise me although it has survived several. It took a direct hit from water and wind based on where it sits. This is from  the 4 way stop, so the Mucky Duck would be to the left of the person taking the picture.

188DDB12-001F-4BF5-82FE-FE4E045524A5.jpeg

Edited by Brew

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThingsTODoPineIsland/permalink/5699836980048380/?mibextid=kkiIlp

seems like the whole of pine island, sanibel island and matlacha are cutoff from the mainland. wonder if they have something equivalent to the cajun navy, lots of elderly with medical issues stayed behind based on the comments.

30 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

As the lights come on I'm kind of expecting devastation from Sanibel/Captiva. This is the only way on/off the island by land.

https://twitter.com/AnyssaBohanan/status/1575429197501186049

That is absolute worst case scenario for the island. The expectation has always been that they would lose the paving on the Causeway islands which would take a few days to get them access back, but no one believed a bridge failure was a significant concern. Just the scale of the issues it creates is hard to imagine. You have about 7000 full time residents that are mostly older, a huge industry built on travel that really starts in the next week or so, etc. I’m not sure devastating is an adequate description.

Going to start checking on friends and clients now.

19 minutes ago, BLKNSTY said:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ThingsTODoPineIsland/permalink/5699836980048380/?mibextid=kkiIlp

seems like the whole of pine island, sanibel island and matlacha are cutoff from the mainland. wonder if they have something equivalent to the cajun navy, lots of elderly with medical issues stayed behind based on the comments.

Based on the way Matlacha lays, it is likely completely gone along with the roads. It is also 100% old Florida, so i would expect some number of the 700 or so people that live there to have stayed. The news from there is going to be bad. Sanibel is going to get a lot of the air time, Pine Island and Matlacha are going to be the ones that need help.