2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

Looking at Google Maps, all these things are basically just sandbars. They could not be more exposed. Any loss of human life is unimaginably tragic, but I'm having a really hard time understanding how anyone could justify staying put in a place like that with a Category 4/5 bearing down.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Looking at Google Maps, all these things are basically just sandbars. They could not be more exposed. Any loss of human life is unimaginably tragic, but I'm having a really hard time understanding how anyone could justify staying put in a place like that with a Category 4/5 bearing down.

old people are fucking stubborn.

esp olds who feel that they "dont have anywhere else to go".

• Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

image.png.169b0cade170a76f772d0f5a11ee8265.png

And remember someone is stupid enough to stay in the house and film the yacht.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, tokamak said:

Just doing a quick survey of street view on google maps, the number of single story, ground level houses is alarming. Yea your cinder block house might not blow away from the wind, but what are you going to do when the whole thing is under water?

4 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

And spending money / time / energy on other past evacuations and in the end it not being worth it to leave.

That's the part that gets me...you hear tons of people on the Texas gulf coast use that as a justification too.  As if n = 1, 2, or 3 is enough data to risk your life over.

Edited by WBT
  • Hook 'Em 1

This is about 1/2 a mile before you even get to the causeway. Lots of videos of coast guard doing rooftop pickups on Sanibel out there now. 

I get the mindset of staying, but you are on an island that was going to take a significant hit and best case scenario you were going to be stuck for some period because of where it is situated. It is also a high income, high net worth area, so means isn’t an issue. PI is different because you have a lot of old Florida elderly there with disabilities, family homes, etc that make it more of a challenge but they still have the same problem. You can be cutoff quickly.

25 minutes ago, alincoln said:

And many do believe that if it is my time, it is my time.  

We had a bad tornado hit the OKC metro in 2013. I called my dad to see when he was coming to the shelter at my sister's house (less than 1 mile from his house), he said he wasn't going. "If it takes me, it takes me." I didn't bother arguing. 

26 minutes ago, Loch Ness Monster said:

And spending money / time / energy on other past evacuations and in the end it not being worth it to leave.

22 minutes ago, WBT said:

That's the part that gets me...you hear tons of people on the Texas gulf coast use that as a justification too.  As if n = 1, 2, or 3 is enough data to risk your life over.

Ultimately I think this is the answer to my question. Four out of five times you evacuate, the storm ends up turning 15 miles north of you or 15 miles south and your house gets some heavy rain and strong winds. So it becomes a lot of hassle for nothing.

21 minutes ago, Brew said:

This is about 1/2 a mile before you even get to the causeway. Lots of videos of coast guard doing rooftop pickups on Sanibel out there now. 

I get the mindset of staying, but you are on an island that was going to take a significant hit and best case scenario you were going to be stuck for some period because of where it is situated. It is also a high income, high net worth area, so means isn’t an issue. PI is different because you have a lot of old Florida elderly there with disabilities, family homes, etc that make it more of a challenge but they still have the same problem. You can be cutoff quickly.

"It is also a high income, high net worth area"

WAS a high income, high net worth area.  Some of these people may be ruined financially, if not dead.

"Ultimately I think this is the answer to my question. Four out of five times you evacuate, the storm ends up turning 15 miles north of you or 15 miles south and your house gets some heavy rain and strong winds. So it becomes a lot of hassle for nothing."

Yeaaaah... I'm not a gamble.. it may be hassle but I don't want to be the one who needs a high water rescue because, if it really goes down, no one is coming to save me.  Did I have to leave for nothing?  Fine... I go back.  Buy too many supplies.  No problem... use them.  God people are pig-headed sometimes.  The ones who don't evacuate are the ones who put first responders in danger.

Edited by texasdago
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Rip76 said:

B0AC9036-AC3B-4B70-8824-B52CA897FB01.jpeg

I think sheriff has already walked back this statement. Basically admitted he has no good estimate. First responders can get worked up in the moment and state some wrong things. I’ve seen it happen time and time again. Hopefully he’s way off.

Just now, Newdoc said:

I think sheriff has already walked back this statement. Basically admitted he has no good estimate. First responders can get worked up in the moment and state some wrong things. I’ve seen it happen time and time again. Hopefully he’s way off.

Good deal.  Hopefully he is for sure.

12 minutes ago, texasdago said:

WAS a high income, high net worth area.  Some of these people may be ruined financially, if not dead.

It will emerge as an even higher income/net worth area as the super wealthy will take advantage of the devastation to convert these islands into the west coast Jupiter Island.  I guarantee that these fucking vultures are in the process of evaluating "development opportunities".  This applies to the entire region. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

13 minutes ago, texasdago said:

For some sure, but for most including us it was a second home we split time between. The ones you feel for are the business owners. The island was built with only a couple of large corporate owned establishments, everything else is locally owned including people who own multiple stores, restaurants, etc. 

42 minutes ago, Brew said:

Is that not potentially partial collapse of the causeway in the background? Maybe that was what that shitty shot was trying to point out?

22 minutes ago, texasdago said:

I mean, I assume insurance is mandatory and expensive, no?

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Is that not potentially partial collapse of the causeway in the background? Maybe that was what that shitty shot was trying to point out?

Seems like a good question. In California, it is difficult to get earthquake insurance so I think most people do without. For the barrier islands in Florida, I wonder if it is possible to get hurricane coverage and I wonder what the cost is and what percent of people have it.

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

What you see in the background is the "high" part of the causeway, so sportfishing boats with large towers can get out to and from the gulf and back to safe harbor.  Leading to that large expanse is a causeway that is almost flush with the IC and that has a large chunk missing, completely different than this picture you commented on, which is on the land.

image.thumb.png.16b6cf75f7e423cbec0ff6ad89dafa97.png

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'll never understand the people who don't evacuate. The even worse part is the storm sat right off the coast for nearly a full day and people knew it was going to be real bad with tons of time beforehand and still just chose to stay. 

The genuinely ignorant and willfully ignorant make up a not insubstantial part of the populace.

• Hook 'Em 3

I’ll never understand why anything built on the seashore is ground level. Is it really that cost prohibitive to put absolutely everything on stilts/piers/whatever? I sort of understand if you’re quite a bit inland and the only risk is a direct hit from a near-record-breaking hurricane, but within short walking distance to the beach? That’s just crazy

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

My youngest would open that door to see why the handle is leaking. 

It would certainly be tempting! Also, part of me wonders what I would do in that situation. Like, the door or that wall of glass is almost guaranteed to give out at some point right? And a massive swell of water is going to wreak havoc on everything down there and possibly weaken the entire structure. Would it not make some bit of sense to drill a couple big holes in the lower part of that door and let the room fill/equalize at a more gradual pace? Maybe this belongs in the dumb question amnesty thread. 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'll never understand the people who don't evacuate. The even worse part is the storm sat right off the coast for nearly a full day and people knew it was going to be real bad with tons of time beforehand and still just chose to stay. 

Well, some folks in Houston who evacuated for Rita might have some opinions. That being said, you act like a huge chunk of this population doesn't basically always know better than everyone else, or is even mildly conspiratorially minded. "Sensationalist news media. I've survived..." But the real answer is, you can't understand them because you don't think like them.

All that being said, we were high and dry during Harvey while everything half a mile to the south and east was varying stages of underwater. But looking how that shook out, and other flooding, and a look at the topography around us...chance pretty good I won't be evacuating for the next storm, especially once I install a generator. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

well, I have a family member that basically says, "the media is making it sound worse than it is".  Florida is FULL of those people.  

Just now, markstanco said:

Those have gone up exponentially the last few years.  I wish I would have installed one 3-5 years ago.  

Yeah, they've gone from like 2-3k to something more like 8-10k in my area. But...I'm here for another 14 years, barring some other catastrophe. Seems like a sound enough investment. I'm more worried about the wait time. I checked during covid and it was like 8 months. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

It would certainly be tempting! Also, part of me wonders what I would do in that situation. Like, the door or that wall of glass is almost guaranteed to give out at some point right? And a massive swell of water is going to wreak havoc on everything down there and possibly weaken the entire structure. Would it not make some bit of sense to drill a couple big holes in the lower part of that door and let the room fill/equalize at a more gradual pace? Maybe this belongs in the dumb question amnesty thread. 

If I was the contractor who built that home, I would use that video for advertising on national television. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well, some folks in Houston who evacuated for Rita might have some opinions. That being said, you act like a huge chunk of this population doesn't basically always know better than everyone else, or is even mildly conspiratorially minded. "Sensationalist news media. I've survived..." But the real answer is, you can't understand them because you don't think like them.

All that being said, we were high and dry during Harvey while everything half a mile to the south and east was varying stages of underwater. But looking how that shook out, and other flooding, and a look at the topography around us...chance pretty good I won't be evacuating for the next storm, especially once I install a generator. 

Yeah, evacuating can be dangerous too (particularly for elderly people). Especially in Florida when there's nowhere to go to get away from the storm, since it's fucking the whole peninsula. If you live somewhere where a huge storm surge is possible, yeah you should get out. But even then, you don't really know how bad it's going to be for you until the last 12-18 hours or so. Just a couple days ago everyone thought Ian was going to demolish Tampa. 

Yeah, they've gone from like 2-3k to something more like 8-10k in my area. But...I'm here for another 14 years, barring some other catastrophe. Seems like a sound enough investment. I'm more worried about the wait time. I checked during covid and it was like 8 months. 

I have a friend that is an electrician, I need to ask him what a budget setup would be.  I have a 12K generator in my garage that I manually plug in a few appliances on POs.  I could probably get a manual transfer switch wired up to essentials like water well, fridge, AC, some lights, and the plug that the internet is on.  I am not sure if 12kw is enough however.  

1 minute ago, markstanco said:

I have a friend that is an electrician, I need to ask him what a budget setup would be.  I have a 12K generator in my garage that I manually plug in a few appliances on POs.  I could probably get a manual transfer switch wired up to essentials like water well, fridge, AC, some lights, and the plug that the internet is on.  I am not sure if 12kw is enough however.  

I've gone that route with our electrician, casually. He said sure, he can wire up the box to flip to a generator, but realistically he said even a big one is only going to power a few appliances, et best. He said we were better off going to a pro like generac and getting the spread. 

49 minutes ago, Brew said:

For some sure, but for most including us it was a second home we split time between. The ones you feel for are the business owners. The island was built with only a couple of large corporate owned establishments, everything else is locally owned including people who own multiple stores, restaurants, etc. 

We were there last year.  It definitely had the feel of a country town with its two lane main drag and all the mom and pop joints.  Very sad. 

I've gone that route with our electrician, casually. He said sure, he can wire up the box to flip to a generator, but realistically he said even a big one is only going to power a few appliances, et best. He said we were better off going to a pro like generac and getting the spread. 

When we lived in Houston, we had a whole home generator done through Reliant... turnkey solution with a Kohler (better than Generac) that had an automatic transfer switch and all the bells and whistles... all the trenching, laying of the generator pad, gas hookup, permits, etc. etc.    Came close to $9K but it was worth every penny.   Our old neighborhood was prone to outages and we never had issues.  After we moved out of Houston and when freezemageddon happened, our old house apparently was all lit up and warm while the rest of the neighborhood was dark and frigid.  

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

All the devastation is horrible, but that boat trying to go through the hurricane is the craziest thing i have seen so far.

27 minutes ago, Blotto said:

The timing was suboptimal. If you're gonna move your boat, how about Tuesday? 

Wow, some of y’all are sheltered or something, it’s like “tell me you’ve never stolen a boat without telling me you’ve never stolen a boat.”

Steal a boat during a hurricane and the owners and law enforcement aren’t around to confront you. Afterward, law enforcement is not going to have time to look for your boat until weeks later, when a shitload of boats have shifted to different marinas, and when plenty of boats have been smashed into pieces. And insurance companies are not going to dump a shitload of money into scuba divers scouring the harbor or nearby ocean bottoms looking for missing boats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4