2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

54 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I don’t get why anyone would live in a trailer on the coastline. Smh

Most people are idiots. "I can live close to the beach, that sounds awesome! Hmmm...all I can afford is this mobile home, but I'm sure it will work out. Look at all these other super smart successful people already living there in mobile homes"  Like what are the chances a hurricane is gonna hit Florida. 

51 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Because it’s cheap and on the coastline and 9,999 out of 10,000 days you don’t have a hurricane to deal with.

https://hurricanecity.com/city/fortmyers.htm

Longest gap between storms
15 years 1970-1984

How often this area gets affected?
brushed or hit every 2.54 years

Average years between direct hurricane hits.(hurricane force winds for at least a few hours)
(17h)once every 8.82 years state stats

I'm guessing a rigorous risk benefit analysis is a foreign concept to most of those people. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Found some decent video of Sanibel and Captiva, starting around 17:30 at the link below. Certainly not great but not underwater at least. Looks like Blind Pass is still intact. Better than I thought.

https://m.facebook.com/WPLGLocal10/videos/sky-10-over-damage-in-punta-gorda-cayo-costa-captiva-sanibel-island/1131909620765059/

18 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

Wake Forest NC. Hasn’t started raining or anything yet but we’re supposed to be getting tropical storm force winds tomorrow. Wake county schools (also includes Raleigh) closed tomorrow.

Huh, TIL I learned that there is an actual town by the name of Wake Forest. Because the university is in Winston Salem and I vaguely remember some anecdote of it being originally named after the Forest of Wake, I just assumed that it was always in the Winston Salem area. Now I see that the university moved there after WWII. 

14 minutes ago, Blotto said:

Huh, TIL I learned that there is an actual town by the name of Wake Forest. Because the university is in Winston Salem and I vaguely remember some anecdote of it being originally named after the Forest of Wake, I just assumed that it was always in the Winston Salem area. Now I see that the university moved there after WWII. 

I lived in Raleigh for two years. Wake Forest is a really nice bedroom community about 30 minutes north. I always thought it would be a great town to live in.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Blotto said:

County is Wake County, named for royal governor Tryon's wife. Bigassed forest was called the forest of Wake. Baptists bought some land off a plantation owner and founded a college there in the 1830s, became known as Wake Forest College. Town sprang up around the college, the town of Wake Forest College. Eventually shortened to Wake Forest. The Reynolds family (as in RJ Reynolds) donated a fuckton of money and land and buildings and shit to move the college to Winston Salem in the 1950s (i guess.... because they wanted a college? I dunno), the old campus was given to the state baptist convention and is now the Southeastern Baptist Seminary. Cute little town that has grown rapidly into a suburb over the past 20 years.

1 minute ago, Telegraph_it said:

I see you Ian. Going from Seattle to N. Carolina was maybe not the best idea. 

image.thumb.png.0a9133f417a4e512906e851f6c4a2585.png

at the risk of more north carolina talk, where you at? 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On the topic of old people staying put, I imagine a fair number of them actually have no place to go. They may barely be able to drive to local grocery store much less 100s of miles maybe to another state. And perhaps they don’t really know too many people. And hotels are impossible to find in the closest, safe areas.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

On the topic of old people staying put, I imagine a fair number of them actually have no place to go. They may barely be able to drive to local grocery store much less 100s of miles maybe to another state. And perhaps they don’t really know too many people. And hotels are impossible to find in the closest, safe areas.

You are correct. Plus a lot of them are scared to drive out of town and after dark because of their own physical limitations.

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Found some decent video of Sanibel and Captiva, starting around 17:30 at the link below. Certainly not great but not underwater at least. Looks like Blind Pass is still intact. Better than I thought.

https://m.facebook.com/WPLGLocal10/videos/sky-10-over-damage-in-punta-gorda-cayo-costa-captiva-sanibel-island/1131909620765059/

Man that’s a hard watch. That house fire in the 20 minute range is right near my house we recently sold. That end of the island is decimated. It’s amazing what wind/water can do. The condo we always stayed in prior to buying is about 25 minutes or so in. It had covered parking, storage rooms, etc. behind that there isn’t anything even standing to tell you something was there. Sanibel announced earlier that every structure on the island would be inspected before anyone is allowed back. It’s going to be a long-time before people are back on the island and any real clean up can begin. Like with Charley they will make changes and build back better. 

• Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Brew said:

Man that’s a hard watch. That house fire in the 20 minute range is right near my house we recently sold. That end of the island is decimated. It’s amazing what wind/water can do. The condo we always stayed in prior to buying is about 25 minutes or so in. It had covered parking, storage rooms, etc. behind that there isn’t anything even standing to tell you something was there. Sanibel announced earlier that every structure on the island would be inspected before anyone is allowed back. It’s going to be a long-time before people are back on the island and any real clean up can begin. Like with Charley they will make changes and build back better. 

I was reading around and I think it is a rumor, but did you hear if there was another cut and so now there are three parts to Captiva Island?

Building back in this inflationary, shortage of contract labor environment will be fun.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I was reading around and I think it is a rumor, but did you hear if there was another cut and so now there are three parts to Captiva Island?

The video baboon posted runs end to end on Captiva at about 17:30 to 19:30, there are no cuts that I see. There is plenty of road wash out, but nothing cut through. 

31 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Building back in this inflationary, shortage of contract labor environment will be fun.

Expense is what it is, I spent a fortune on renovations so you get used to paying triple. Now with 1000’s needing work, that will definitely extend the problem though to your point.

Most fun part is everyone that drove off that island expected to be back this week. Now you have months of no power, no access, no way to start clean up, houses/restaurants still stocked with food, etc. The bridge issue turns it from a “man that’s going to suck” problem to an “oh shit, that is going to be a major issue that is going to be hard to recover from” problem.

We were talking earlier because we’ll buy again (had a trip in 3 weeks to look ant houses) and I don’t even have a concept of what you would do at the moment. Our place would have been closed up assuming no breach, but what does that look like after so much time of no utilities and nobody getting into it to check on it.

Edited by Brew
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Brew said:

Ngl this has been weirdly emotional for me as someone who has just been there a handful of times, as a tourist that is likely part of the contingent that is ruining the old Florida vibe on the island and funneling money to Hilton. It is a fantastic place that has provided some great memories with my kids. That said I can't imagine how you are feeling, let alone someone who lives there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Ngl this has been weirdly emotional for me as someone who has just been there a handful of times, as a tourist that is likely part of the contingent that is ruining the old Florida vibe on the island and funneling money to Hilton. It is a fantastic place that has provided some great memories with my kids. That said I can't imagine how you are feeling, let alone someone who lives there. 

Very emotional for me. Ex literally grew up in a stilt house on ft Meyers beach. We spent a shitload of time there during our 23 years together. Loved that goofy little island.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

After dealing with texts and emails checking on us all day because we really had not told anyone we had sold, I think it’s a state of a bit of “survivor’s guilt” at this point. We’re a random issue in due diligence from having a canal front house on the east end and almost backed out of the sale of ours prior to close because of it. After 20ish years we know a lot of the restaurant and shop owners and their staff and people who have invested in the community. I can’t stress enough how the causeway failure changes everything and is such a beating. We’ve been under evacuation orders, but residents could always return within a couple of days. You go back, you clean up or rebuild, you move on. That is all paused now along with people’s livelihoods we know that are 100% tied to the island being open.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Very emotional for me. Ex literally grew up in a stilt house on ft Meyers beach. We spent a shitload of time there during our 23 years together. Loved that goofy little island.

That stretch will never be the same. The people that made it what it was will not be able to build back, building codes have changed, a new group will roll in building beach front houses and another piece of what made the area special will disappear with this storm. Matlacha will see similar issues. 

That stretch will never be the same. The people that made it what it was will not be able to build back, building codes have changed, a new group will roll in building beach front houses and another piece of what made the area special will disappear with this storm. Matlacha will see similar issues. 

Nope. There will be no more Junkanoo, no more Cottage, no more Gulf Shores. So many good nights at those places.

Such is life I guess. Reminds me of what my old man used to tell me - “Don’t get cocky son, the world rolls over on some poor sonofabitch every day.”
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Mother mopar said:
10 hours ago, Brew said:
62942623-11261707-image-a-78_1664481815464.jpg.9b913d335a86f1ce6288ed513a53c49c.jpg

Damn, that's a tragedy, a Daytona and Superbird. Upwards of half a million there. Hopefully, they get rebuilt.

If I had half a million in classic cars and lived near the beach, I'd own a big lowboy trailer at a storage yard or move em to an elevated parking garage. But like... that's just me. I'm no Florida Man.

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, Armybrat said:

You are correct. Plus a lot of them [old folks] are scared to drive out of town and after dark because of their own physical limitations.

Yep. I've spent more time around older people the last few years and I have a new understanding. They may be facing new limitations that create embarrassment (to them) or they experience anxieties about these limitations. I've seen odd reasons why they don't want to do something away from their home. It can be as simple (to you and me) that being far away from their bathroom creates panic.

Add mild or more dementia to the mix and their decisions make little sense to others. 

EDIT: You can often learn more about the root cause of their decisions and help them understand options but this can take time. However the sad truth is that when you're packing up to run from a hurricane, it isn't easy to spend a couple of hours convincing your neighbors to also leave.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, CleverNickname said:

If I had half a million in classic cars and lived near the beach, I'd own a big lowboy trailer at a storage yard or move em to an elevated parking garage. But like... that's just me. I'm no Florida Man.

You don't get insurance money by moving the assets that you want to claim insurance on.