2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

17 hours ago, Parliament said:

I don't get why anyone would spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to build a house you can't hook to your pickup and pull out of harms way when a Category 4 hurricane comes through. 

lol most of those pieces of shit would fall apart within a block if you tried to tow them off.

18 hours ago, Armybrat said:

I don’t get why anyone would live in a trailer on the coastline. Smh

My mother and step father kept a camper on a mobile home lot in rockport. Just as a cheap, convenient place to stay when they would go down there to fish. Until Harvey that is. But they were about ready to give it up anyway due to health issues.

So is this the thread where we discuss what/how people should be allowed to build along the coast? Cause after so many of these storms, it seems pretty obvious that anything built near the water should be low-end disposable or a complete fortress. At what point is stuff uninsurable?

18 hours ago, Armybrat said:

That’s why we just rent a beachfront condo for a week or so most years..

9997F9CF-6E06-452D-B3D9-17EAD5A4297D.jpeg

SPI? I've tossed around the idea of a condo there or in Corpus. But come back to the storm thing every time. Would it be worth it to have a place with that hanging over your head? 

I grew up on the coast and the house I grew up in was destroyed in Ike. It's all just a matter of time. 

8 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

So is this the thread where we discuss what/how people should be allowed to build along the coast? Cause after so many of these storms, it seems pretty obvious that anything built near the water should be low-end disposable or a complete fortress. At what point is stuff uninsurable?

Never.  Way too much money in the coastal real estate construction and development business for the carriers and the government to say its uninsurable. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

SPI? I've tossed around the idea of a condo there or in Corpus. But come back to the storm thing every time. Would it be worth it to have a place with that hanging over your head? 

I grew up on the coast and the house I grew up in was destroyed in Ike. It's all just a matter of time. 

That's just it.  Its just a matter of time.  Like you said, the sword of Damocles

22 minutes ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I wish we could all live in the mountains at high altitude. That's where I see myself in five years.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I'm in Houston. If my house floods, half or more of Houston will be underwater. Like, way worse than Harvey. I was told this year that my flood insurance is going up from $400 to $1600/yr over the next few years. Supposedly the government flood insurance program just absolutely bleeds money. I guess Congress made it whole a few years back and it damn near immediately went back to like $30bn in the red. So maybe they're starting to reprice to make things more realistic.

Of course, the people it really hurts are the elderly, the poor, and the middle class, who just happen to live near the coast and have nowhere else to go and can't afford astronomical flood insurance. I'm sure rich people with huge vacation homes figure out some fucking loop hole like they always do.

On 9/28/2022 at 9:28 AM, crimsonlonghorn said:

I used to know a guy who claims his uncle owned a store in Homestead and that they rode out the storm together under a countertop in the store that night. The building was was made of cinder blocks and didn't collapse, but they had glass and other debris blowing on them all night.

The aftermath pictures are just terrible. Ike was bad and Harvey was just more of a flood, but neither was like this. 

I mean, except for the whole 140 mph winds in Port A and Rockport. And 10 foot storm surge but yeah it was just flooding.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, tokamak said:

I'm in Houston. If my house floods, half or more of Houston will be underwater. Like, way worse than Harvey. I was told this year that my flood insurance is going up from $400 to $1600/yr over the next few years. Supposedly the government flood insurance program just absolutely bleeds money. I guess Congress made it whole a few years back and it damn near immediately went back to like $30bn in the red. So maybe they're starting to reprice to make things more realistic.

Of course, the people it really hurts are the elderly, the poor, and the middle class, who just happen to live near the coast and have nowhere else to go and can't afford astronomical flood insurance. I'm sure rich people with huge vacation homes figure out some fucking loop hole like they always do.

Why do you keep flood insurance then?

15 hours ago, Brew said:

We were talking earlier because we’ll buy again (had a trip in 3 weeks to look ant houses) and I don’t even have a concept of what you would do at the moment. Our place would have been closed up assuming no breach, but what does that look like after so much time of no utilities and nobody getting into it to check on it.

That’s a good point I’d never considered. Even a small amount of water getting in, and that would’ve been a relatively cheap repair, could become a shitload more expensive if it isn’t cleaned up for weeks. Could be another justification for why some people decide not to evacuate

If you like to watch live updates...

Ryan Hall Y'all channel on YouTube is good

Live feed for Hurricane Ian currently going into the Carolinas...

Tornado in North Carolina now

Also has 4 or 5 stormchasers linked into his stream...

Edited by LTtxfan
Fuckin' Autocorrect
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

Required by mortgage lender since I'm in a flood zone.

Well that sucks.  I'm in a coastal county but also on high enough ground and behind a levy so that it will never flood.  Unshaded Zone X baby!

image-asset.png?format=2500w

Edited by WBT

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Is it possible to self-insure? $1,400/year seems like a total ripoff.

Insurance is weird, man. At the micro level, an individual is never going to pay enough in premiums to cover a total loss of their house. So when something like this happens the insurance company takes an enormous loss in the area. Even if every single person in the affected area had been paying $1,400/year for the last 25 years, that's what, 10% of what the company is going to pay out on the macro level? Obviously most of them are fine overall with large annual profits, but $1,400 on a micro level doesn't seem all that crazy.

1 hour ago, chainsaw said:

Is it possible to self-insure? $1,400/year seems like a total ripoff.

I was thinking that it sounds like a deal. Even a little water is a ton of money. I don't think that given the cost of everything right now getting a foot or two of water wouldn't end up being $150K in damage. So essentially do you think it would flood every 100 years? The way Houston is going, it seems more like every 15-20 years.

I just don't get the living right at the beach... and that's as someone who loves the beach. Just knowing that eventually your number is going to be rolled and that you'd have to deal with all of that? Just not worth it to me. 

I'm with Brat -- I'll pay a premium to rent a place and not have the headache.

54 minutes ago, WBT said:

Well that sucks.  I'm in a coastal county but also on high enough ground and behind a levy so that it will never flood.  Unshaded Zone X baby!

image-asset.png?format=2500w

play predictions GIF

Probably good with the flooding but don't be too sure about FEMA and their flood maps/zones.

What used to be good some 15-20 yrs ago, now are considered to be in risk areas and require flood insurance. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

This discussion prompts the question:  what parts of the world have awesome beaches but rarely take a hurricane/typhoon hit?

Wife and I have been eyeing the Florida gulf coast, but it's starting to get less interesting, especially with insurance costs.

Seems like Australia doesn’t get hit with catastrophic storms often. 

On 9/28/2022 at 11:47 AM, Post Oak said:

Hell we bought a bunch of water bottles and ice bags for our deep freeze over the summer when we were worried about the grid. 50% of our deep freeze is frozen water bottles. The other 50% is bacon, eggos and ice cream.

Come what may.

I save and keep a bunch of 1 gal water bottles for multiple purposes. During that winter freeze a while back when our power went out one night, it occurred to me it could be awhile before it came back on and we didn't have a generator. So I filled up 18 bottles with water and set them on the back porch to freeze overnight, then filled my fridge and chest freezer voids as well as two ice chests with them the next morning. I also filled up several buckets of water in case water service failed. Not long after I did that, water pressure was also lost. Power was out for several days. Didn't lose any food due to the outage and had water for washing, etc. until water pressure returned.

24 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

I save and keep a bunch of 1 gal water bottles for multiple purposes. During that winter freeze a while back when our power went out one night, it occurred to me it could be awhile before it came back on and we didn't have a generator. So I filled up 18 bottles with water and set them on the back porch to freeze overnight, then filled my fridge and chest freezer voids as well as two ice chests with them the next morning. I also filled up several buckets of water in case water service failed. Not long after I did that, water pressure was also lost. Power was out for several days. Didn't lose any food due to the outage and had water for washing, etc. until water pressure returned.

Been using them for fishing for decades now.  It helps keep your purchased ice good longer, as you can get your chest or hatch cooled down with the bottles first.  Easy to have a few around if you have a chest freezer. 

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

I just don't get the living right at the beach... and that's as someone who loves the beach. Just knowing that eventually your number is going to be rolled and that you'd have to deal with all of that? Just not worth it to me. 

I'm with Brat -- I'll pay a premium to rent a place and not have the headache.

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it and a house on the beach can float.

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Been using them for fishing for decades now.  It helps keep your purchased ice good longer, as you can get your chest or hatch cooled down with the bottles first.  Easy to have a few around if you have a chest freezer. 

I do the same, but usually for hunting camp or road trips. I use them instead of purchasing bagged ice for my ice chests and normally keep 5 or 6 in my chest freezer. But on that particular occasion, had not replenished the freezer from the previous time I had pulled some out for use.

Edited by sith_horn
  • Hook 'Em 2

Insurance cost wasn’t a major issue for us once the house was upgraded to pass the 4 points wind tests. Just to put it out there, my house was right at $950k, sat 150 yards or so off the beach, actually had water on 3 sides of it, was built at a height of 10-12 feet maybe. After 5 years of owning this one, I paid under $2500 for flood and maybe $3k for wind and homeowners. I pay the total of those two at home for homeowners and several add ons because my county has a higher risk factor than Sanibel did for some stupid reason. It’s all going to rebalance, but the only time insurance scares us off of anything was a canal house that was going to be $20k for flood and no one could explain why. House 3 doors down had a grandfathered policy for $400.

With flood now you want to find a property with a policy you can assume otherwise it may not be worth it. Flood reimbursement is capped, so it’s not great insurance anyways.

Prior to Ian forming, something like 6 Florida insurers catered this year. State insurance dept had to scramble and do emergency rules for TWIA (Texas) because tens of thousands of windstorm policies got dumped mid-season. 

Windstorm is my favorite leg issue because it's not R v D, it's coast v non-coast.

6 hours ago, tbone_ said:

The lack of construction labor is a challenging concept. If only there were an endless supply of folks who want to do it…..

emoji848.png

We have a pretty strong supply here. Maybe they can help out in Florida. Maybe a temporary agreement with skilled workers in Mexico would work also where after the work is done, the workers return to Mexico with US dollars. Maybe such a plan wouldn't drain our limited resources and wouldn't put US construction workers out of work and drive down their wages. 

So all is good in the Ogilthorpe house. I have been at my office working to take care of employees. Lots of them have lost everything. Our company owns a hotel and we are housing people there. 

we still don’t have power but I can’t complain with what others are going through. FPL is doing a great job getting power restored. In Naples it is ok apparently fort Myers and Cape Coral is like or mad max. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I work in property management, and we’re based in SWFL. We had many homes in our portfolio on sanibel. Have nothing but aerial shots to go on for now. I’ve been to our office on the island numerous times, this is all surreal. Staff that have had their homes destroyed, we have lodged in some of our other rentals. One staff members last message to her mother was that she and the kids were getting into the attic because the water was so high. She’s ok now.

We are also undergoing the painstaking task of checking every home for power and running water, as well as damage, so we know which are habitable to relocate families to.

Then there are homes of ours we can’t even get to because of flooding and debris blocking roadways. My staff is running on fumes but we are essentially a microcosm of the humanitarian crisis down here, and families are depending on us. I told my wife last night that yesterday was the hardest day in my professional life, and today wasn’t much easier.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Chult86 said:

I work in property management, and we’re based in SWFL. We had many homes in our portfolio on sanibel. Have nothing but aerial shots to go on for now. I’ve been to our office on the island numerous times, this is all surreal. Staff that have had their homes destroyed, we have lodged in some of our other rentals. One staff members last message to her mother was that she and the kids were getting into the attic because the water was so high. She’s ok now.

We are also undergoing the painstaking task of checking every home for power and running water, as well as damage, so we know which are habitable to relocate families to.

Then there are homes of ours we can’t even get to because of flooding and debris blocking roadways. My staff is running on fumes but we are essentially a microcosm of the humanitarian crisis down here, and families are depending on us. I told my wife last night that yesterday was the hardest day in my professional life, and today wasn’t much easier.

Good luck. I hate to say it but it doesn’t get any easier for a long time. Even once you get water and power back you are still going to have to deal with housing issues for your staff much less those in your portfolio. And then the contractors come in and a lot are shitty but you still have to find a place to put those people too to help fix everything. It’s a mess that takes well over a year to get better and really more like 2 years to be 90% back to normal.

if it’s anything like Port A you will see some wild property value fluctuations over the next 2 years and some opportunities. We of course had Covid thrown on top of the tail end of our recovery, but a bunch of people made a lot of money on the disaster.