2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

On 9/30/2022 at 10:23 AM, FirstTimeCaller said:

SPI? I've tossed around the idea of a condo there or in Corpus. But come back to the storm thing every time. Would it be worth it to have a place with that hanging over your head? 

I grew up on the coast and the house I grew up in was destroyed in Ike. It's all just a matter of time. 

I hear this often.  “ You guys get hurricanes all the time.”   That’s not entirely accurate.    We get some  moderate to weak sauce storms that do some  damage and then every 20 to 30  years we get a big one that requires a massive mobilization for recovery and rebuilding like we are seeing now on the ground in SW Florida.   For example in the Coastal Bend, we had Harvey in 2017 which met this level of a storm.   Before that , Celia in 1971 was the last such storm.     Both Corpus and the RGV got lucky with Allen in 1980 because it did lose some before hitting and the eye went in on the King Ranch between Raymondville and Kingsville.   You could make the same comparison up in Houston where they had Ike in 2008 but before that the last major storm to impact that region was Alicia in 1983.     

You should get that condo or whatever coastal property because I bet the law of averages would have that property receiving substantial weather damage ore often  siting in the DFW area during severe weather season  vs most of the Texas coastal areas over a 20 year period.  

19 hours ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Still no power but we have internet. First generator died. Friend gave me their generator since they have power back so house is powered but no ac (too much draw on generator). 

a few of our friends lost everything so we are are very fortunate. 

was at work today and trying to take care of our employees, company has about 5000 employees and we believe all accounted for. One stayed in fort myers beach and swam out after the storm. House may actually be salvageable. 

sorry if I have shared some of this before, I barely know what day it is right now. 

Do what ya need to do. Thanks for the update. Glad you are safe. 

Hook Em. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Got power back at 5:30 last night. 101 hrs without. Could have been worse so I can't really complain.

Things in Naples have settled down, gas more available. FT Myers still an issue.

Back in the office today, company fully opened. Working on getting fuel and generators to employees that need them. , 

Starting to see pictures of the aftermath, brutal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 12:07 AM, Nueces River Rat said:

I hear this often.  “ You guys get hurricanes all the time.”   That’s not entirely accurate.    We get some  moderate to weak sauce storms that do some  damage and then every 20 to 30  years we get a big one that requires a massive mobilization for recovery and rebuilding like we are seeing now on the ground in SW Florida.   For example in the Coastal Bend, we had Harvey in 2017 which met this level of a storm.   Before that , Celia in 1971 was the last such storm.     Both Corpus and the RGV got lucky with Allen in 1980 because it did lose some before hitting and the eye went in on the King Ranch between Raymondville and Kingsville.   You could make the same comparison up in Houston where they had Ike in 2008 but before that the last major storm to impact that region was Alicia in 1983.     

You should get that condo or whatever coastal property because I bet the law of averages would have that property receiving substantial weather damage ore often  siting in the DFW area during severe weather season  vs most of the Texas coastal areas over a 20 year period.  

Historically, SPI gets spared the bad storms. But it only takes one. I was fortunate enough to live on the upper Gulf Coast at a time when we didn't get a bad storm when I was there for about 15 years. About 5-6 after I moved away, Ike hit. The house I lived in was completely gone except for the pilings. The storm surge was essentially a bulldozer that graded everything. If that had hit when I was in still there as a kid, I have no idea what we would have done.

My take is that you can't really play the "law of averages" with something like that. It's not like a hailstorm in central Texas that if it hits, you need a new roof and replace your car windows. It can be complete and total destruction. Why even play the game even if there is only a 2% chance of it happening any given year? Seems way easier to just rent a spot for a bit when you want.

1 hour ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Historically, SPI gets spared the bad storms. But it only takes one. I was fortunate enough to live on the upper Gulf Coast at a time when we didn't get a bad storm when I was there for about 15 years. About 5-6 after I moved away, Ike hit. The house I lived in was completely gone except for the pilings. The storm surge was essentially a bulldozer that graded everything. If that had hit when I was in still there as a kid, I have no idea what we would have done.

My take is that you can't really play the "law of averages" with something like that. It's not like a hailstorm in central Texas that if it hits, you need a new roof and replace your car windows. It can be complete and total destruction. Why even play the game even if there is only a 2% chance of it happening any given year? Seems way easier to just rent a spot for a bit when you want.

Good point and valid.  I will say with hailstorms and maybe not so much in Central Texas.    But in the DFW metroplex, those are usually associated with high wind events or tornado activity.      In other words, one severe weather outbreak up in that area can pretty much exceeded loses that most areas on the Texas  coast will get in a non hurricane year such as this year by millions several times over .    Even during a low activity season where we might get a high end Tropical Storm or Cat 1, the loses are pretty light depending on landfall.   Now flood loses might be a different animal because you can have storm come in and do little wind damage, but the surge in low lying areas on a beach or bay might take some water and of course the rain  (see Allison in Houston in 2003 and Harvey 2017) .   It  will  be interesting to see the ratio coming out of Florida when the final totals come out to see what was paid in flood loses vs wind.     None the less I can almost be certain it's going to have an effect of rates in coastal areas from Brownsville up to Maine.  They are going to pay out billions just on loses to things like boats and yachts alone judging by the videos and pics out there .    Or what carriers remaining decide to bolt and let the state sponsored wind pools take charge.   It's getting to that point here in  Coastal Texas right now.

15 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Was just coming to post this. Incredible.

That's just mind boggling.      I'd hate to be an agent or agency owner in Florida right now because there is going to be case after case of who pays what.      The Plaintiffs lawyers certainly got their hotlines up and going.   And I'll say this I won't blame many of the insureds going to some of them because there is only going to be so much an agent can navigate on top of everything else because of volume of claims, etc.   Those dudes and dudettes who do it right in this business are going to earn that commission and then some.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Been scanning the NOAA links checking on things we were familiar with and places of people we know. It’s amazing scanning the coast and seeing how far boats ended up inland in the wooded areas. There are boats scattered in the mangroves all up and down the bays and some took a ride way into the mangroves. FMB definitely took the brunt of this storm and looks to be pretty much a total loss at this point. 

I wonder how many of those boats have coverage for this. I just helped a friend move a yacht up the coast because it had to be above a certain latitude a couple of months ago for insurance reasons. Tons of other boats were doing the same thing. I doubt a lot of these have coverage. I was thinking the guy moving his out during the storm was doing it to hopefully save it

8 hours ago, Updawg said:

I know marinas are rated for certain storm levels. But I bet people got screwed. Those floating piers floated over the pilings at some of them which is crazy

My boat insurance requires a hurricane plan. We have our boat in a hurricane rated building in downtown Naples. We are on the bottom level, I was worried it would float off its bunk. Luckily no boats at my marina were damaged. I don't think we will be on the water for a while as there is too much debris and shoaling

Edited by Ogie Ogilthorpe

Images and the damage assessments coming out of Sanibel are pretty bad, aerial views don’t do the level of destruction much justice. The damage assessment shows pretty much every property showing minor damage with well over half of those in the category of major or destroyed. Property owners are allowed access back tomorrow by boat, but it’s going to be difficult to get to a lot of places on the island without just planning on hiking it. Our place was a good 10 miles from the causeway for reference.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are getting back to normal in SW Florida. Pine Island has power in some places now.

The death toll is being ridiculously understated. I have heard from a few people that the second hockey rink at Hertz arena is being used as a morgue as the hospitals can't process all the bodies. Another person has told me they were still recovering bodies in the mangrove earlier this week. 

Neither are confirmed but to think only 52 people died in Lee county is crazy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Things are getting back to normal in SW Florida. Pine Island has power in some places now.

The death toll is being ridiculously understated. I have heard from a few people that the second hockey rink at Hertz arena is being used as a morgue as the hospitals can't process all the bodies. Another person has told me they were still recovering bodies in the mangrove earlier this week. 

Neither are confirmed but to think only 52 people died in Lee county is crazy.

Bodies in trees, just clap your hands, just clap your hands!

Where its at?

I got two turntables and a microphone 

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, jdhorn92 said:

Just when we though Hurricance season was over, we have a pretty large sub-tropical system getting ready to hit my fav place, the Abacos.  East Coast of Florida bracing too.

“Subtropical Storm Nicole Prompts Hurricane Watch For Florida's East Coast“

https://weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/2022-11-07-subtropical-tropical-storm-hurricane-nicole-florida-south

Damnit Nicole. Thirsty bitch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

User name check out? 

Client is evacuating NW tomorrow. Lives on the coast. Not worried about massive damage, but we are in the middle of a project and comms will probably be messed up. 

I told him to get a Blue shed for his next office. Put it on pontoons. 

Pontoons by Pontoonz

4 minutes ago, Brew said:

Sitting in Naples at the moment with a flight out Wednesday afternoon. Debating whether to try and get that moved up earlier that day or let it ride and hope windy conditions don’t cause problems.

When will I ever make it back to Haiti? :)

Good luck whatever you decide, stay safe.

Yeah, makes zero sense. They moved them to the trailer park that sits basically at sea level where the people lived that cared for them. All of them including the ones that were displayed at the park were lost. So much was lost that it is what it is, but it’s a sad deal. Several of the birds had been on display there for the 20+ years we have been going.

Went down last week and the whole thing is pretty tough. The entire island has pretty well been washed/blown out. Pictures don’t do it justice. A few things are back open, but who knows what it looks like 12 months from now. Due to the fact they didn’t allow chains, it will take years for the restaurants/shops to  recover. Most were owned by people on the island that owned multiple spots and had everything tied up locally that was destroyed. We have talked to several that may not reopen that are long-term staples. F-ing sucks because of how interconnected everything was. Makes recovery hard. We’re back looking at houses now trying to decide whether to go ahead and jump back in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baboontyme said:

Sad stuff. I don't know why but the news about the birds hit me kind of hard. 

It’s one of those things that was preventable and should have been better planned out. It has also not gone over very well locally. Ultimately, water was something people were not prepared for.