2022 Tropical Storm and Hurricane Thread

Hate

23 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

My crazy aunt lives in Spring Hill so this hits close to home. BIL lives in Tampa with his fiancee. His response to a family group text from his mother when she saw the Weather Channel report was that he doesn't waste his time with WC because of their "climate change agenda." No CR.

Everything is CR whether people want to admit it or not

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
1 hour ago, UnivTex34 said:
Yeah, have a cousin that lives in St Pete, in Evac zone A. Really hope they issue a mandatory evacuation soon, as it sounds like they are not leaving unless they do. 10 foot of surge would have water in their living room.

Apparently evac has begun. BIL just reported they've been told to get out

Apparently Pinellas County still hasn't made it Mando yet. Sounds like tomorrow. Shouldn't matter, but they just texted and said they are packing now, with plans to leave in the morning. Gonna be a clusterfuck.

• Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, Ogie Ogilthorpe said:

Sitting pretty good here in Naples, expecting wind and rain to pick up tomorrow morning but nothing too bad. Schools are closed Tuesday Wednesday mostly because they don't run busses if it is too windy.

I'm in Zone A in north Naples less than 1/2 mile from the Gulf.  I've booked hotels in Miami just in case.  We are west of 41.  We will make a decision tomorrow morning based on the forecast.  Storm surge is my worry with our proximity to the Gulf.  I also have two large dogs and dealing with them through three days of heavy rain and winds won't be fun.

Where are you in Naples?  Stay safe!

Edited by VABuckeye

4 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

My crazy aunt lives in Spring Hill so this hits close to home. BIL lives in Tampa with his fiancee. His response to a family group text from his mother when she saw the Weather Channel report was that he doesn't waste his time with WC because of their "climate change agenda." No CR.

Well cross him off then.

• Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

I'm in Zone A in north Naples less than 1/2 mile from the Gulf.  I've booked hotels in Miami just in case.  We are west of 41.  We will make a decision tomorrow morning based on the forecast.  Storm surge is my worry with our proximity to the Gulf.  I also have two large dogs and dealing with them through three days of heavy rain and winds won't be fun.

Just off Livingston. No storm surge issue here.  Still debating about putting up my shutters.  Backed all set screws out today so I can put them up quickly if I need to.

my boat is in a hurricane building down by tin city. On the bottom rack so hoping the surge doesn’t float it.

have gas for the generator if needed and plenty of food water and beer. We got this here.  Worried about friends up in st Pete area

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Is Captiva going to get destroyed?

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Is Captiva going to get destroyed?

From what i've seen,yes.  If it goes to Tampa, Captiva will be on the lower- right side, which is the worse quadrant.  If it shifts more south and east, Captiva is going to take a direct hit.  If the overall storm stays a little west of Tampa, that is also going to be problematic for Captiva, as the forecast is for it to stall, slow dramatically, if it takes a more Northern track.  Hitting landfall sooner (meaning Captiva), would actually be the best case for FL, as it would get over land much sooner.

Edited by jdhorn92
  • Like 1

Tampa king tides are the next two days with the peak king tide cycle in 2 weeks, pretty much worst case scenario for water volumes. Newest models suck for an area we consider more home than where we are currently. Offer fell through on a water front replacement for the house we sold on Sanibel, so that timing may have worked out as a positive for once.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well cross him off then.

One of my scouting buddies is a fireman. Right before Katrina he went to his father-in-law‘s house on the lakefront and tried to get him to leave. Like most hardheaded potentially senile thinking old people, he refused to leave no matter how much logic begging or threats were used. The last thing he told his father-in-law as he drove off was, “Fine. Drown in your own house you obstinate asshole.”

He did. 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:

I’ve always wondered how some people who are hard right or Qanon deal with hurricanes. I mean if everything except Fox News is fake news and unbelievable then wouldn’t these people who live on the coasts get washed away by devastating hurricanes?

4 minutes ago, Voldemort86 said:

I’ve always wondered how some people who are hard right or Qanon deal with hurricanes. I mean if everything except Fox News is fake news and unbelievable then wouldn’t these people who live on the coasts get washed away by devastating hurricanes?

The qanon dorks who hear about "the storm" coming all get raging hardons, fall over from lack of blood to the brain, and concuss themselves so they wake up confused not knowing what the fuck is happening. So pretty much like every other week for those fucksticks. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve never been to the Florida beaches on the gulf side besides fort meyers back at the millennium change. I only go to the Atlantic side. This last March we checked out treasure island beach in Tampa/St. Pete and I couldn’t believe how big it was (twss) from the parking lot to the water. That’s gonna backfire

We're sticking it out in Naples.  Forecasts have shown us in the tropical storm range but this southerly trend does have me worried.  The next county up (Lee County) has an evacuation order in for zone A and B.  We are in zone A in Collier County so it's a little close for comfort right now but it would take a significant wobble to the east for us to get the big storm surge.  Right now we're predicted at 3-5'.

Three months after Harvey we went out to Lauderdale-by-the-Sea to escape Houston while our house was getting fixed up from the storm damage.  Lovely town.  Laid back.  Had a wonderful time.  Told my wife... after Harvey... and dealing with hurricanes in general (Ike, chaos before Rita, Allison, etc. etc.) no F'ing way we would move to Florida. 

Nope.