Vengeance (West Texas Murder Mystery, starring Ashton Kutcher, Dove Cameron, Texas Tech Fans, from B.J. Novak)

atomheartbevo

9 hours ago, futureman said:

holbrook with the prius line was hilarious. 

I only knew him from Narcos (and haven't even finished it), but yeah, he seems funny.

And this is Novak's first time directing.  He included a UT/Tech joke and Whataburger scene, so he's hitting the Texas movie bingo card better than a lot of writers/directors who aren't from here.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Interesting to make a show about Texas that is made in New Mexico and has no one that is from Texas in it.

Yeah, but they aren't using any European actors, so win?

Also, Dove Cameron putting on a fake Texas accent kind of does it for me.

49 minutes ago, veritas aequitas said:

Interesting to make a show about Texas that is made in New Mexico and has no one that is from Texas in it.

More or better tax breaks for film/tv in NM. For some reason Texas doesn’t think that is worth the investment anymore. 

• 3 months later...
Spoiler

I liked it? Probably not a rewatchable for me, but a pretty solid film. Peacock labeled it as a comedy. Dafuq? Bernie is a comedy. This was not a comedy. 

Terrific cast. I really like Boyd Holbrook, Granny from Friday Night Lights, and Gerri from Succession. Funny cameo in the opening scene. BJ Novak was OK. 

I think there was too much Kutcher. He was great in the studio scene. I probably would have cut the coffee chat. Hide the football a little. 

Of course. They shot the entire movie in New Mexico. 

I openly wonder if Tom Brown's Body was an inspiration for Novak during his writing process. It's Skip Hollandsworth's podcast about the death of Canadian High School student Tom Brown. 

My thoughts on the film. 

Non-spoiler, I haven't seen a gun rack in a truck in 20 years. It looks redneck/Texas on film, but it's no longer practical. Super awesome way to get your truck broken into. I know some guys that won't put camo hats on their dashboard because they're worried thieves will think there's a gun in the truck. And there usually is, this is Texas after all. 

Edited by billfromlaketravis
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/24/2022 at 6:36 PM, veritas aequitas said:

it's amusing how serious some of y'all take shit like this.

next thing you'll tell me 'for all mankind' isn't really shot on mars and also includes no martians in the cast.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 1

I really enjoyed it. Of course all the Texas stuff, but also the portrayal of the condescending New Yorker thinking he's smarter than everyone in a hick town - I actually loled at the exchange with Paris about Chekhov. It also had few fun plot twists. 

Ashton Kutcher's only in a few scenes but he's great. Honestly, the whole cast was spot-on. 

4 hours ago, Zepol87 said:

Ariel is black now also. Crazy times

Her race was meant to distract from the fact that the tail size was completely unrealistic for the speeds she achieved, and without a dorsal fin and a few other missing appendages, her maneuverability would have been shit.  And sound travels differently under water, so the English language would not have worked.

But seriously, I’m okay with the location, because when we go to New Mexico, if there were no signs, you wouldn’t know when you crossed over.    

Going to watch this movie after the game.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The grandma is Matt Saracens mom in Friday Night Lights

great movie, btw

I thought Saracen's mom was a complete no-show in FNL. He lived with his grandma.

On 9/17/2022 at 1:46 PM, billfromlaketravis said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I liked it? Probably not a rewatchable for me, but a pretty solid film. Peacock labeled it as a comedy. Dafuq? Bernie is a comedy. This was not a comedy. 

Terrific cast. I really like Boyd Holbrook, Granny from Friday Night Lights, and Gerri from Succession. Funny cameo in the opening scene. BJ Novak was OK. 

I think there was too much Kutcher. He was great in the studio scene. I probably would have cut the coffee chat. Hide the football a little. 

Of course. They shot the entire movie in New Mexico. 

I openly wonder if Tom Brown's Body was an inspiration for Novak during his writing process. It's Skip Hollandsworth's podcast about the death of Canadian High School student Tom Brown. 

Non-spoiler, I haven't seen a gun rack in a truck in 20 years. It looks redneck/Texas on film, but it's no longer practical. Super awesome way to get your truck broken into. I know some guys that won't put camo hats on their dashboard because they're worried thieves will think there's a gun in the truck. And there usually is, this is Texas after all. 

You’re 0/2 on this thread city slicker.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

saw this at a private screening monday night and thought it was great.  surprisingly well written and executed.

novak was there for a q&a (there were only like 20 people in this tiny screening room) and it was mostly just a dude interviewing him (same dude does most of these).  when asked about if checkhov and the theme of "regret" he was asked if that was intentional, and just like in the movie, novak was like, "i seriously don't really know checkhov's work well at all" which i thought was funny and kind of embarrassing.

afterwards we went up and chatted with him for a few minutes, mostly about his pop-up chain restaurant project.  i was with another texas guy and we asked him about the finger gun/state of texas shape thing and where it came from and he said "i made it up" lol. 

edit to add - the girl who dies, abilene, is "lio tipton" who used to go as "analeigh tipton" who was the babysitter in crazy stupid love.

Edited by henrygandorf