The Gray Man - Gosling and Evans Netflix

Michael Knight

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, kingkoopa6 said:

...gosling got my vote for next bond

No. I like Gosling as an actor, but not in the Bond franchise.

Oddsmakers have recently placed Henry Cavill at number one with Rege-Jean Page at second.

Plenty of talented home sauce actors in the UK to take it on if neither of those two want the role.

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Oddsmakers have recently placed Henry Cavill at number one with Rege-Jean Page at second.

Plenty of talented home sauce actors in the UK to take it on if neither of those two want the role.

Agreed but it should be Hardy. Certainly no American. 

This was a fun movie. Great action and dialogue. AdA makes my pants go crazy. 

18 minutes ago, CooterBrown said:

I don’t think the studio wants to have closed captioning turned on by default whenever Hardy speaks.

He’s damn good but there’s no way middle America could understand a word he says.

He’s one of the greatest ever. And your take is ridiculous. He’d be Bond, not Alfie Solomons. 

7 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I always thought Vincent Cassel would be a great Bond.

If Bond were a Frenchman.

You could just tweak the story that Bond was sent away to a French orphanage.

Mary Queen of Scots had a thick French accent, after all.

Edited by Augustus

This. Watch him in Warrior. If he can pull off an American accent that well, a more palatable British one shouldn’t be a problem at all.

Or Inception. I always figured Eames would be close to TH’s Bond.

“Mustn’t be afraid to dream a little bigger darling.”

On 5/24/2022 at 10:30 AM, atomheartbevo said:

So this is the $220 million movie. 

struggling to understand why, unless they blew it on all the effects. it's entertaining but $200M entertaining? no wonder Netflix is in trouble.

5 hours ago, kevwun said:

Evans and Gosling aren't cheap either and neither is filming on location in major European cities.

This was a big, goofy, fun action flick. Top notch for action and filming and the actors. The premise was just there to hang the big set-pieces on.  I watched mostly to see Prague on display.  It stood in for most of the “European” and other cities. 

Baku: The funeral procession was filmed at the monument to Czech national legend Jan Zizka with Baku’s skyline added in. But you can see St. Vitus Cathedral in Prague Castle in the background as well. 

Berlin: The “CIA Station Berlin” establishing shot is actually the new building of the Czech National Museum.

Vienna: At least one of the driving scenes has them passing under the old Czech National Museum.

Prague: The shots of Prague are of course all Prague. The super cool tram scene has its climax on Republic Square; the “handcuffed to a bench” gunfight is in front of the Rudolfinium concert hall.  The tram route makes no sense at all on the ground but is an amazing set-piece action sequence. 

Theres no real Vienna in the movie.  The establishing shots there were super tight. The apartment was supposed to be Hundertwasserhaus, which if they actually shot there they wouldve gotten the unmistakeable exterior too.

Basically its a chateau in France which was likely expensive. The rest are lower costs location. 

Surprise it wasn’t done in Hungary. Huge film production industry there, large sets, and even more subsidies. 

19 hours ago, kevwun said:

He was a surprisingly good villain.

If you haven't seen Knives Out (2019) with its ensemble cast, then you might want to give it a view. Daniel Craig, the above mentioned Ana de Armas, Chris Evans himself, Jamie Lee Curtis, and many more . Evans did great work.

15 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Idris Elba would be an amazing bond. Unless he's too old now.

He could play that role quite well. But I suspect you're correct that they're looking for someone younger who can carry several future projects.

• Like 1

Yeah he'll be 50 in a couple months, and Craig said that getting in Bond shape nearly killed him. 10-15 years ago Elba would have been a great Bond.
I'd definitely watch an "older" Bond series with Elba where there's less hand to hand combat and physicality. Still got plenty of ways to add action, cars, gadgets, guns, dinner jackets, and the ladies.

57 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did Connery or moore get into bond shape?  

No, it wasn’t a thing back then. But you knew that. 

If they want to make a new kind of Bond movie where a creaky old guy thwarts international criminals then great. I’ll watch. But I think it’s unlikely given how popular the Craig movies are. And Craig played bond for 15 years: I’m not sure anyone is interested in a 65 year old Bond. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Did Connery or moore get into bond shape?  

He invented it. He was Mr. Scotland in the Mr. Universe contest.

spacer.png

Until this moment, I've never really wondered if I were gay.

It is interesting how the contest didn't have inflatable roid muscles. This is more like the Classical Greek ideal form. The pose is certainly a reference to the contrapposto style of sculpture.

I'm old enough to recall being (like most other people) grossed out at the extreme muscularity of body builders before the look became mainstream. 

As for Gray Man? Servicable actioner. I think Man in Black makes a good point about Ryan Reynolds. Reynolds can twist a marginally witty line into something special. Gosling is damn good, though. Another enjoyable but wholly forgetable movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I enjoyed the movie,but if that cost $220MM to make, I have to admit I do not understand Netflix's businesses model.  I remember I rejoined Netflix many years ago to see the new arrested development seasons and pure laziness (plus being in the surly 1%, err 90%, where $15 a month doesn't bust my budget) has kept me subscribing.  Who is getting or retaining Netflix just to see this movie?

1 hour ago, Not a cat said:

I enjoyed the movie,but if that cost $220MM to make, I have to admit I do not understand Netflix's businesses model.  I remember I rejoined Netflix many years ago to see the new arrested development seasons and pure laziness (plus being in the surly 1%, err 90%, where $15 a month doesn't bust my budget) has kept me subscribing.  Who is getting or retaining Netflix just to see this movie?

Logistics cost during covid probably contributed to that. I can imagine the production time stretching out for every aspect of the movie making. 

Big diff here is they dont incur much of the traditional post-completion costs of distribution and marketing. Movie goes straight to their servers. Done. 

• Like 1

Movie is fine, albeit 20 minutes too long, if you're able to shut your brain off 

Regarding the Hardy stuff, dude has exclusively used ridiculous accents for years now. It's been awhile since Warrior, Inception, etc. Bond will most likely be a young guy whos a no-name to most people at this point. Everyone who would have made sense ten years ago is too old at this point 

Bond has always been a 'mature' looking character.  Don't really see visible age as a problem.  And Idris Elba is still a handsome devil whatever number he's at.

The actor still needs to be able to pull off the physical work without looking like grandpa struggling to get out of a recliner like in The Book of Boba Fett.
  • Haha 1