Texas A&M University Aggies Bonfire Ashes

It’s crazy. I remember going to the ‘89 game, walking past the field with the still smoking ashes from the night before. It was a cold morning, but there was still heat. 
Ten years later, I was driving to work (in Dallas) in the morning when I heard about the collapse. I worked with a bunch of Ags, and so there was a lot of communal support and sympathy. 
Mack Brown offered to drop the game, but they insisted on playing. “It’s what they (the dead students) would have wanted”. The game was a shit show of poor sportsmanship (the Longhorn football team had to play an 11 AM game without breakfast) and the officials trying to somehow “make up” for the dead students by putting their fingers in the scale to assure a victory for the Ags. 
Ten years later, in 2009, the Ags had categorized the disaster, in shorthand, as “it was something bad that just happened, but TAMU all pulled together and beat the Longhorns!” TexAgs and other media had comment after comment about how the 1999 win helped them recover from the disaster (there were no quotes from parents). Thank God Texas won that game or we’d have to play those ghosts every tenth anniversary  

Never underestimate that place’s capacity for self-delusion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 10:21 AM, dcbc said:

Won't be long before some ag tries to make money selling a jar of leftover something or other.

I always just assumed that loaded jizz jars were an unofficial currency in college station. aggy bitcoin, if you will.

• Haha 2

On 5/26/2022 at 6:31 AM, statsman said:

It’s crazy. I remember going to the ‘89 game, walking past the field with the still smoking ashes from the night before. It was a cold morning, but there was still heat. 
Ten years later, I was driving to work (in Dallas) in the morning when I heard about the collapse. I worked with a bunch of Ags, and so there was a lot of communal support and sympathy. 
Mack Brown offered to drop the game, but they insisted on playing. “It’s what they (the dead students) would have wanted”. The game was a shit show of poor sportsmanship (the Longhorn football team had to play an 11 AM game without breakfast) and the officials trying to somehow “make up” for the dead students by putting their fingers in the scale to assure a victory for the Ags. 
Ten years later, in 2009, the Ags had categorized the disaster, in shorthand, as “it was something bad that just happened, but TAMU all pulled together and beat the Longhorns!” TexAgs and other media had comment after comment about how the 1999 win helped them recover from the disaster (there were no quotes from parents). Thank God Texas won that game or we’d have to play those ghosts every tenth anniversary  

Never underestimate that place’s capacity for self-delusion. 

That is a general sports culture phenomenon. The sports media loves to glom on to recent tragedy to make their sport event seem more important than it is. They did the same thing with the Saints Super Bowl run talking about how it helped New Orleans heal after Katrina decimated the city. As if that win was any consolation to those who lost their homes, pets or family members. How the community "pulled together" because of X team doing whatever is the common phrase used. It's dumb, and belittles the tragedy that likely had no relation to sports at all. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Dutchrudder said:

They did the same thing with the Saints Super Bowl run talking about how it helped New Orleans heal after Katrina decimated the city. As if that win was any consolation to those who lost their homes, pets or family members.

Dude... what? Are you serious right now? 

On 6/19/2022 at 2:37 AM, Dutchrudder said:

That is a general sports culture phenomenon. The sports media loves to glom on to recent tragedy to make their sport event seem more important than it is. They did the same thing with the Saints Super Bowl run talking about how it helped New Orleans heal after Katrina decimated the city. As if that win was any consolation to those who lost their homes, pets or family members. How the community "pulled together" because of X team doing whatever is the common phrase used. It's dumb, and belittles the tragedy that likely had no relation to sports at all. 

Harvey and stros, too. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2022 at 1:37 AM, Dutchrudder said:

They did the same thing with the Saints Super Bowl run talking about how it helped New Orleans heal after Katrina decimated the city. As if that win was any consolation to those who lost their homes, pets or family members. 

Actually, it was fucking awesome and everyone felt better because of it.  It helped a lot. 

CD229A78-F94B-4C86-95D7-E9DEB8A8AEC9.jpeg.5a7e67369816bb27b6622559e2f59031.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 2