[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

2 minutes ago, twosheds said:

My fifth grader would not even look at me this morning as I dropped him off at school.  He told his mom that I had already ruined his summer because I made him sort socks and fold his tshirts last night.  I can not imagine what these moms and dads in uvalde are experiencing.  

Just think of those poor parents who said goodbye to their kids while they were getting out of the car for the final time. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

2 minutes ago, Cajun said:

@BabaYagaReddit posts (fwiw) show some interaction with a girl on Instagram last night where he indicated a “plan” for all of this.

We’ll see.

God, I hope not.  His executing his g-mother lends this credence.  Then a chance ensued and he just happened to try and flee near a school?  Maybe he was intercepted on the way to the school?  Sick fuck either way.

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

Just think of those poor parents who said goodbye to their kids while they were getting out of the car for the final time. 

That was the point I couldn't make myself type.  I cant imagine the last time seeing my son not looking at me because I made him fold socks.  Totally  nauseating

• Like 3
  • Rage+1 1

I'm really curious to know more about how the shooter ended up at the elementary school. Did he choose to go there or was he chased there by the cops? Seems like there's more to the story in how the shooter ended up at an elementary school he had no affiliation with

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm really curious to know more about how the shooter ended up at the elementary school. Did he choose to go there or was he chased there by the cops? Seems like there's more to the story in how the shooter ended up at an elementary school he had no affiliation with

Photos show his truck crashed (at the blue dot) in this culvert, not far off the road. Some reports that police were already in pursuit  

Bernard

502AAF72-763D-46DF-BF5C-43877EEA03E5.jpeg

• Rage+1 1

Just an overwhelming feeling of sadness.  But beyond that, a few questions that will need to be answered in the coming days:

• What kind of firearms did the shooter use?
  • Were there red flags and were they ignored?
  • How did the shooter get into the school?
  • What kind of security does the school have?
  • And perhaps most perplexing to me - if the shooter was a murder suspect being chased by the cops and then crashed his truck into a ditch, how in the world was he able to make it to a school without the cops intervening?
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, gurt said:

that had to be premeditated-that he kills his grandma and goes over to the school.  No way that would just pop into his head in the moment, right?

No sense in applying normal-person logic to a deranged person. Its not peers/bullies that hes shooting. Its not some perceived enemies or antagonists. 

theres zero motivation fathomable to society why a 18 year old would shoot up 2nd/3rd/4th graders.  

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Probably need to have a talk with my kid about what to do in this scenario; do they teach that at all in school like fire drills and whatnot?

They teach it.  It's literally become second nature for American school kids by the time they reach middle school.

1 minute ago, Enchubben said:

Lots of breaks need to be given out in this thread. Not surprising due to the emotional nature of this though.

Surprised he was able to get in so quickly and easily, but most schools seem to have some portable buildings at this point which wouldn’t have the same security as main buildings.

Probably need to have a talk with my kid about what to do in this scenario; do they teach that at all in school like fire drills and whatnot?

I'm not sure how it's possible not to know about active shooter drill, but sadly, yes.  It's routine.

We had "active shooter" training at my last job.

Just now, Tylerocks said:

I'm not sure how it's possible not to know about active shooter drill, but sadly, yes.  It's routine.

We had "active shooter" training at my last job.

Never had one and kid never mentioned it. Glad to hear they teach it though. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Enchubben said:

It's absurd that we have to.  Kids in other countries do not receive such instruction.  My kids have attended school out of this country, and commented how all the Americans do as they are trained: evaluate each classroom for defilade and escape routes.  Their non-American classmates look at them like they are fucked in the head.

• Like 1

I’m a school counselor-sadly we teach this and so much more on ‘threat awareness’. I’m sad to even be saying this, but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to practice general ‘awareness’ with your child regularly for a variety of threats.
I’m truly heartbroken about this- our students are 3 days away from summer break and the joy that permeates this time of year is palpable.
I hate that this is ‘normal’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 9

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

It's absurd that we have to.  Kids in other countries do not receive such instruction.  My kids have attended school out of this country, and commented how all the Americans do as they are trained: evaluate each classroom for defilade and escape routes.  Their non-American classmates look at them like they are fucked in the head.

Well…we are

• Hook 'Em 3

26 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Your kids have probably had active-shooter drills, but they weren't told they were active-shooter drills.  They may have been called tornado drills, emergency drills, etc., but if you ask the teachers, and they don't think you're weird, they'll tell you the truth, but it's basically the drills that don't end up with everybody outside like a fire drill.

And many new schools are being designed with features to help negate school shooters.  My jaw dropped when my stepsister was telling me about the safety features of the new school she is going to be teaching at this fall.  Curved halls, automatic fire doors that can be closed remotely to trap a shooter, walls that stick out a few feet in hallways to provide cover, impact-resistant glass, better-secured doors on the classrooms (can be locked remotely), secure hiding places within classrooms themselves, and the list went on.

Edit: You should still have a talk with your kid about what to do in a scenario like this, but depending on their age, maybe don't call it an "active shooter".

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Our school calls them "lock down drill"

Yes and it's told to the kids as it there for if an unsafe person is near campus like the homeless. But yeah, it's to prepare your kid for what to do if a person with a gun comes into the school. 

19 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Not true. We had them in both El Salvador and Peru. During civil wars. Cuz there was a civil fucking war. 

Yeah, lets think about that. Is that who we want to emulate? 

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, Bernard said:

Also, 15 people are dead in what appears to me to be an easily preventable crime. Seems like the police failing to do their job is a valid point of discussion  

Bernard

I would say let's find out the precise facts concerning law enforcement conduct and activity in connection with this incident before either condemning or exonerating them.  We don't know at this point whether the police "fail[ed] to do their job" in this particular instance.

• Hook 'Em 3

My son's on a year-end trip at Camp Allen with his entire fifth-grade class right now.  Thankfully they weren't allowed to bring any mobile devices or other electronics.  But I'm guessing the teachers who are with them will be getting the news (if they haven't learned already) and will be in shock this evening. 

37 minutes ago, Gatorubet said:

If the police allowed the murder suspect to enter a school, then I have to give them less than an “A” on the pursuit. 

And yeah, no facts to support wtf happened yet.  Just sayin…

Look closely at the tree in the right foreground in this screengrab of the video on Twitter showing the gunman across the street entering the school.  I'm pretty sure that's an LEO with a rifle posting up under it looking right at the dude stumbling into the school...

441C8C2C-4C6F-46D7-B1C3-6A2C2699F015.jpeg

Edited by Cajun
Might even be two of 'em standing there.

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

It's sad but my kids school is set up to protect against this. You can't get in except through the front office and the office has bulletproof glass. How fucked up is it that we need that.

All the classes have a shared restroom that are active shooter shelters as well. Makes me so sad this is actually needed in schools

I’m in HP and it’s similar at the two schools my kids go to. Entry to the schools has been more lax post pandemic quarantine. 

I can’t fathom how this happened or how we should be okay with it. Texas is in a unique position to actually lead the way here, for a few reasons. It’s a very sad reality but we at least can do something positive about it. 

Award ceremony was happening at school. Shooter targeted ex-girlfriend and his mother who was a teacher at the school and then started shooting kids.  All this according to my cousin whose kids go to the elementary school.  Fortunately they were fine. 

Edited by winning_is_hard
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

1 hour ago, Updawg said:

Yep. They teach it early now

Kindergarten.  Wife teaches at a recently built school with with significant resources to throw at security.  I’d have better luck robbing a bank than getting into that school with an assault rifle.  It is all very well done, blends in, etc in the interior of the school.  The front door reminded me of the time a visited a cousin in prison minus the razor wire.    Her previous school was so old they had a hard time retrofitting security measures.  You might be able to get in the back/side doors if you were willing to use explosives.

Just now, winning_is_hard said:

Award ceremony was happening at school. Shooter targeted ex-girlfriend and his mother who was a teacher at the school and then started shooting kids.  All this according to my cousin whose kids go to the elementary school.  Fortunately they were fine. 

Why would an 18 year Old’s girlfriend be in an elementary school. 

1 minute ago, winning_is_hard said:

The school is for 2nd-4th grade. Why would an 18yo ex girlfriend be there? 

• Fuck You 1

• immamac changed the title to [News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022