[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

Mea Culpa time. New info seems to contradict the initial story of police in pursuit prior to the shooter entering the school.  Now hearing that the school called for help and first LEO on the scene was a border patrol agent. Other LEO’s arrived later. Engaged and the shooter and killed them. If that’s the case, good job, guys.

Confirmation bias seems to have struck in a fast developing sorry. My bad.

Bernard

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

Just now, Bernard said:

Mea Culpa time. New info seems to contradict the initial story of police in pursuit prior to the shooter entering the school.  Now hearing that the school called for help and first LEO on the scene was a border patrol agent. Other LEO’s arrived later. Engaged and the shooter and killed them. If that’s the case, good job, guys.

Confirmation bias seems to have struck in a fast developing sorry. My bad.

Bernard

Yeah, it was all over the radio here in SA that there was a big pursuit complete with exchanged gunfire and a couple of Border Patrol vehicles joining in early on.  

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

She probably had a younger sibling there.

Thats assuming that rumor is even true to begin with.

Just what I was told.  Was told shooter jumped the fence and went straight to targets (didn’t shoot a bunch of people along the way).  Kids were evacuated to the civic center. Scene of parents picking up kids was pandemonium, everyone hysterical, some parents even showed up  armed to teeth .  

25 minutes ago, Cajun said:

Look closely at the tree in the right foreground in this screengrab of the video on Twitter showing the gunman across the street entering the school.  I'm pretty sure that's an LEO with a rifle posting up under it looking right at the dude stumbling into the school...

441C8C2C-4C6F-46D7-B1C3-6A2C2699F015.jpeg

Pretty sure that's just the set of 4 trees on the right:

image.thumb.png.b38444cff83e5039a1dd210bc6fe9c29.png

The video was taken from the house on the right, from the window over the roof:

image.thumb.png.6b76fc646bafa8121622216fdbfb7721.png

Unless the LEO all look like Slenderman over there.

Edited by OU Sucks
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, OU Sucks said:

Pretty sure that's just the set of 4 trees on the right:

image.thumb.png.b38444cff83e5039a1dd210bc6fe9c29.png

The video was taken from the house on the right, from the window over the roof:

image.thumb.png.6b76fc646bafa8121622216fdbfb7721.png

Unless the LEO all look like Slenderman over there.

Excellent catch OUS.

My eyes, they did deceive me.

Nothing to see here folks, move along.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’d also like an after action report on if and how the safety measures worked this time. Obviously not perfectly since he was able to gain entry and get to students- but did the alarm or whatever sound and did kids and faculty do the right thing, and did that prevent further casualties?  Or are the drills all performance art like the nuclear bomb drills were?

13 minutes ago, winning_is_hard said:

Just what I was told.  Was told shooter jumped the fence and went straight to targets (didn’t shoot a bunch of people along the way).  Kids were evacuated to the civic center. Scene of parents picking up kids was pandemonium, everyone hysterical, some parents even showed up  armed to teeth .  

Not sure why he wrecked the truck and crashed through a fence if he wasn’t being chased. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, ABSR said:

He was a security officer, not a police officer.  So private security.  His actions are infuriating, but unlike Texas, Florida does not allow (or did not at that time..may have changed) actual police to be assigned as security.

I am curious what Uvalde had for security….but that is better for later discussion/review.

No, the guy in the Parkland/Stoneman Douglas incident was Broward County Sheriff's Deputy Scot Peterson.  He wasn't private security.  He retired immediately after the incident after a firestorm of criticism arose over his conduct during the incident.  I believe he was criminally charged after the incident, but I do not know what, if anything, happened in connection with those charges. 

1 hour ago, winning_is_hard said:

Award ceremony was happening at school. Shooter targeted ex-girlfriend and his mother who was a teacher at the school and then started shooting kids.  All this according to my cousin whose kids go to the elementary school.  Fortunately they were fine. 

Correction, his grandmother was the teacher. 

10 minutes ago, woohorn said:

Election day, right? I wonder if the school was open for voting. Another reason some of our schools can't be secure all of the time.

The way their school was built it's more of an outdoor interconnected building layout. There is no "one way" to enter the school as almost all the classrooms are entered from "outdoor" space.  I'm sure in a town like Uvalde this just wanted on their list of likelihood risk vs expense of changing list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ABSR said:

He was a security officer, not a police officer.  So private security.  His actions are infuriating, but unlike Texas, Florida does not allow (or did not at that time..may have changed) actual police to be assigned as security.

I am curious what Uvalde had for security….but that is better for later discussion/review.

Guarantee a tiny town like Uvalde didn't have any security patrolling the elementary school. They can't afford that

https://apnews.com/article/uvalde-texas-school-shooting-b4e4648ed0ae454897d540e787d092b2

UVALDE, Texas (AP) — An 18-year-old gunman opened fire Tuesday at a Texas elementary school, killing at least 18 children as he went from classroom to classroom, officials said, in the latest gruesome moment for a country scarred by a string of massacres. The assailant was killed by law enforcement.

The death toll also included three adults, according to state Sen. Roland Gutierrez, who said he had been briefed by state police. But it was not immediately clear whether that number included the attacker...

...The gunman, who was wearing body armor and had hinted on social media of an upcoming attack, crashed his car outside the school and went inside armed, Sgt. Erick Estrada of the Texas Department of Public Safety told CNN.

He killed his grandmother before heading to the school with two military-style rifles he had purchased on his birthday, Gutierrez said.

“That was the first thing he did on his 18th birthday,” he said.

Officials did not immediately reveal a motive, but the governor identified the assailant as Salvador Ramos and said he was a resident of the community about 85 miles (135 kilometers) west of San Antonio.

A Border Patrol agent who was working nearby when the shooting began rushed into the school without waiting for backup and shot and killed the gunman, who was behind a barricade, according to a law enforcement official speaking on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to talk about it.

The agent was wounded but able to walk out of the school, the law enforcement source said....

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

A friend of mine is working the scene at the highest level. I talked to him earlier today and asked him 14? He said no. Then 18? No, again. 21 may not be the number. He has to do some stuff tomorrow that will scar him for life. I don’t know how he does it. 
I'm sorry your friend has to go through that. Thank him for his service. It sucks all the way around for everyone.
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, deadshank said:

All of my Uvalde folks, save one who is a sheriff’s deputy, have reported in with safe youngsters.  I’m sure the deputy is busy right now and will / may get back to me.  His kids go to the elementary school where it happened.   

One of my Uvalde friends has a friend of his, whom i don’t know, whose wife was shot.   I don’t know if it is the grandmother that was killed or the teacher that was transported to the SA area hospital.   

Plenty of awful to go around for everyone in a small town.  

Any updates ?

13 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Reporter quotes a neighbor that knew the scumbag's grandma, saying the loser was angry that he wasn't going to graduate high school (others on Twitter say he wasn't going to be allowed to walk at graduation):

A lot of rumors going around in Uvalde (obviously), but a Uvalde senior told me that their "Senior Walk" to all the schools in town, including Robb, was yesterday and this guy might have thought it was today and wanted to target the seniors. I am not really buying that though. 

13 minutes ago, deadshank said:

One of my friends there has an ex that is now remarried.  His ex and her new husband have a daughter unaccounted for.   Most likely she will be one of the casualties.     

Awful.    

Fuck. 

7 minutes ago, po elvis said:

A lot of rumors going around in Uvalde (obviously), but a Uvalde senior told me that their "Senior Walk" to all the schools in town, including Robb, was yesterday and this guy might have thought it was today and wanted to target the seniors. I am not really buying that though. 

Outdoors, so could have been an even worse slaughter.  But it looks like it was at an earlier time yesterday morning than when he went today.  Or maybe after missing it he decided to just go after the elementary school today (softer target than the HS.)

Anyway, poignant images:

• Like 1

• immamac changed the title to [News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022
8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

He probably shot his way inside like the Sandy Hook shooter did.

I see a lot of people trying to rationalize why this could never happen at their kids’ school. There’s been shootings at schools with armed security/police present (virtually all modern ones, even Columbine) metal detectors (Red Lake) bulletproof controlled access (Colorado charter school, sandy hook, maybe this one). If someone wants to hurt people bad enough they’ll find a way. 

Here is video that purports to show the shooter approaching the school, with long rifle in hand. 

Would appear to correspond with the building along geraldine st, with the area where the truck was ditched along the left side of the image. 

Screenshot-2022-05-24-224754.jpg