[News/Updates] Mass Shooting at Robb Elementary Uvalde - 5/24/2022

Ghost of LL

15 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:
❤️❤️❤️ I’ve seen a wall of pictures of the elementary students making the rounds on Twitter but not sure if that’s ok to post. The ones that are not accounted for…🥺

Looks like still several kids whose parents haven't been given the word.  This was posted a few minutes ago.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 2

16 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

❤️❤️❤️ I’ve seen a wall of pictures of the elementary students making the rounds on Twitter but not sure if that’s ok to post. The ones that are not accounted for…🥺

If they have no news on their children this many hours later, that's fucked up and I'd assume the worst. Fuck.

• Rage+1 1

she'll be a beautiful angel 

Annabell Guadalupe Rodriguez has been identified as one of the 19 students killed in the Uvalde school shooting. Annabell was a 3rd grader at Robb Elementary.

Earlier, we reported her dad had spent much of the afternoon frantically searching for her and was given little to no information. He later found out she was killed, along with her cousin who was in the same classroom, according to the family.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Guarantee a tiny town like Uvalde didn't have any security patrolling the elementary school. They can't afford that

Uvalde is a town of 16,000 people.

The school district has its own police department.

https://www.ucisd.net/Page/2120

The primary goal for the Uvalde CISD Police Department is to maintain a safe and secure environment for our future leaders to learn and our current leaders to educate while forming partnerships with students, teachers, parents, and the community while enforcing laws and reducing fears. We are committed to supporting the district's mission, to the highest level of professionalism, integrity and improve the quality of work by providing employees with effective leadership, supervision, and training.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Balcones said:

The primary goal for the Uvalde CISD Police Department is to maintain a safe and secure environment for our future leaders to learn and our current leaders to educate while forming partnerships with students, teachers, parents, and the community while enforcing laws and reducing fears. We are committed to supporting the district's mission, to the highest level of professionalism, integrity and improve the quality of work by providing employees with effective leadership, supervision, and training.

Someone talking out his ass on Surly? 
How odd.  

Nice research, @Balcones

32 minutes ago, Balcones said:

Wonder how many police they have on that force? I’d wager not enough to cover all campuses during school hours. 

42 minutes ago, deadshank said:

This is her.   

FBEA0BC7-3589-4B74-BBCD-3B68D9F8528C.jpeg

That beautiful little girl reminds me so much of my daughter.  I almost couldn’t take them to school today.  I imagine what those parents are going through and I don’t think I would survive that amount of grief and anger.  So sorry for what they’re all going through.

Edited by Snake Diggity

8 hours ago, Deej said:

If they have no news on their children this many hours later, that's fucked up and I'd assume the worst. Fuck.

No news probably because their child was shot in the face and hard to identify. That’s why they had parents give DNA swabs 

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Whoever said their cousin or whatever had kids at the school seems to have been wrong on most of the facts that have been released so far. 

Award ceremony at school (correct)

targeted one class (appears correct, my cousin said his kid was outside at PE and the shooter did not fire at them)

exgirlfriend/ mother was a teacher motive (looks wrong)

kids moved to civic center (correct )

All this before info was public.  My parents and some cousins live in Uvalde and were source

Any actual motive we will see

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Deej said:

Still not enough .

No question that educators are underpaid. Any public school teacher knows before entering the profession that monetary enrichment will not be the reward for their job.

In a way, it's a good thing because it ensures that those who teach do so for the right reasons.

My heart goes out to anyone connected with this tragedy. Seeing the faces of the departed--teachers and children alike--is heartbreaking. Don't know how anyone could get over something like this, but I hope they find a way.

10 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

No question that educators are underpaid. Any public school teacher knows before entering the profession that monetary enrichment will not be the reward for their job.

In a way, it's a good thing because it ensures that those who teach do so for the right reasons.

My heart goes out to anyone connected with this tragedy. Seeing the faces of the departed--teachers and children alike--is heartbreaking. Don't know how anyone could get over something like this, but I hope they find a way.

This is wildly naive. Because I have known several people that become teachers because they couldn't find any other job after college, so they just studied and passed the Texas exam for a teaching certificate and became teachers. These are people I absolutely would not want teaching my son. 

Now, people who go to college and get degrees in education? Sure. But that is not a requisite to be a teacher, and these days folks with an actual degree in education are rarer and rarer in the field of teaching. My mom was a lifetime teacher, as were my mother in law and father in law. My wife works in a school. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Braff Zacklin said:

Perhaps we should just have an all volunteer teaching model.  I mean then they'd REALLY want to teach.  

JFC, that's stupid. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

My heart goes out to all the innocent families affected, just a truly horrific event. 

Family of a coworker had one who didn't make it, I truly cannot imagine, especially as my 3rd grader went to school today. 

Hug your kids, often. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Guarantee a tiny town like Uvalde didn't have any security patrolling the elementary school. They can't afford that

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-elementary-school-reports-active-shooter-campus/story?id=84940951

...Sources said that the gunman first shot his grandmother at a separate scene. Authorities initially said the grandmother was killed but later said she was in critical condition...

...The suspect was immediately engaged outside the building as he approached the school by a Uvalde Independent School District police officer, who was shot by the suspect, the sources said.

After that, the suspect entered the school, barricaded himself in a classroom and allegedly opened fire, killing 18 students, who were mainly third- and fourth-graders, as well as one teacher, the sources said.

There, he traded gunfire with Uvalde ISD officer and Border Patrol Tactical Unit agents, a number of whom have children who attend the school, according to the sources. The Border Patrol agents responded to a law enforcement request for assistance.

Investigators are going through ballistics to determine who fired the shot that killed the suspect.

A fourth-grade student who was inside the school at the time described the horror of the shooting in an interview with ABC News. He said the students heard banging on a window and then the teacher saw the shooter.

"She said, 'Oh, my God, there's a there's a gun.' And then she she said it was like a big one like that a big gun -- she said, hurry up and get on the floor," the student recounted. "We just hear all kinds of gunshots going off, like nonstop, like constantly gunshots. And then we're over here all scared. What -- on the ground fearing for our lives..."

• Rage+1 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/gunman-was-bullied-as-a-child-grew-increasingly-violent-friends-say/ar-AAXGVUt

The gunman in Tuesday’s elementary school massacre was a lonely 18-year-old who was bullied over a childhood speech impediment, suffered from a fraught home life and lashed out violently against peers and strangers recently and over the years, friends and relatives said...

Spoiler

Using weapons purchased this month, days after his 18th birthday, authorities said, Salvador Rolando Ramos shot and critically wounded his grandmother. He then went on a shooting rampage at Robb Elementary School near his home in Uvalde, Tex., killing at least 19 children and two adults and injuring others.

Ramos also was fatally shot, apparently by police. The Texas Department of Public Safety said he was wearing body armor and armed with a rifle.

Santos Valdez Jr., 18, said he has known Ramos since early elementary school. They were friends, he said, until Ramos’s behavior started to deteriorate.

They used to play video games such as Fortnite and Call of Duty. But then Ramos changed. Once, Valdez said, Ramos pulled up to a park where they often played basketball and had cuts all over his face. He first said a cat had scratched his face.

“Then he told me the truth, that he’d cut up his face with knives over and over and over,” Valdez said. “I was like, ‘You’re crazy, bro, why would you do that?’”

Ramos said he did it for fun, Valdez recalled.

In middle school and junior high, Ramos was bullied for having a stutter and a strong lisp, friends and family said.

Stephen Garcia, who considered himself Ramos’s best friend in eighth grade, said Ramos didn’t have it easy in school. “He would get bullied hard, like bullied by a lot of people,” Garcia said. “Over social media, over gaming, over everything.”

“He was the nicest kid, the most shyest kid. He just needed to break out of his shell.”

One time, he posted a photo of himself wearing black eyeliner, Garcia said, which brought on a slew of comments using a derogatory term for a gay person.

Garcia said he tried to stand up for him. But when Garcia and his mother relocated to another part of Texas for her job, “he just started being a different person,” Garcia said. “He kept getting worse and worse, and I don’t even know.”

When Garcia left, Ramos dropped out of school. He started wearing all black, Garcia said, and large military boots. He grew his hair out long.

He missed long periods of high school, classmates said, and was not on track to graduate with them this year.

Ramos’s cousin Mia said she saw students mock his speech impediment when they attended middle school together. He’d brush it off in the moment, Mia said, then complain later to his grandmother that he didn’t want to go back to school.

“He wasn’t very much of a social person after being bullied for the stutter,” said Mia, who spoke on the condition that her last name not be used because her family does not want to be associated with the massacre. “I think he just didn’t feel comfortable anymore at school.”

Valdez said Ramos drove around with another friend at night sometimes and shot at random people with a BB gun. He also egged people’s cars, Valdez said.

About a year ago, Ramos posted on social media photos of automatic rifles that “he would have on his wish list,” Valdez said. Four days ago, he posted images of two rifles he referred to as “my gun pics.”

A person briefed on the investigation’s early findings, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the case, said Ramos bought the weapon used in the attack immediately after his 18th birthday, which was in mid-May.

Biden voices grief and anger at school shooting: ‘I’m sick of it’

Two months ago, he posted an Instagram story in which he screamed at his mother, who he said was trying to kick him out of their home, said Nadia Reyes, a high school classmate.

“He posted videos on his Instagram where the cops were there and he’d call his mom a b---- and say she wanted to kick him out,” Reyes said. “He’d be screaming and talking to his mom really aggressively.”

Ruben Flores, 41, said he lived next door to the family on Hood Street and tried to be a kind of father figure to Ramos, who had “a pretty rough life with his mom.”

He and his wife, Becky Flores, would invite Ramos to barbecues at their house and for sleepovers with their son, who was a few years younger. Ramos went by the nickname “pelon,” Spanish for bald, because his hair was often cut so short when he was younger, Flores said.

As he grew older, problems at home became more acute and more apparent to neighbors, Flores said. He described seeing police at the house and witnessing blowups between Ramos and his mother.

Multiple people familiar with the family, including Flores, said Ramos’s mother used drugs, which contributed to the upheaval in the home. Ramos’s mother could not be reached for comment.

Ramos moved from the Hood Street home to his grandmother’s home across town a few months ago, Flores said. He said he last saw the grandmother on Sunday, when she stopped by the Hood Street property, which she also owned. The grandmother told him she was in the process of evicting Ramos’s mother because of her drug problems, Flores said.

Reyes said she could recall about five times that Ramos had fistfights with peers in middle school and junior high. His friendships were short-lived, she said. Once, Ramos commented to a friend while playing basketball that the friend only wanted to join the Marines one day so he could kill people, Reyes said. The other boy, she added, ended the friendship on the spot.

“He would take things too far, say something that shouldn’t be said, and then he would go into defense mode about it,” Reyes said.

She and her Uvalde High School school classmates had visited Robb Elementary School just a day before the massacre, wearing their graduation robes and high-fiving the grade-schoolers, who lined up in the hallways — a community tradition.

“Those kids were so excited to see us in our cap and gown,” Reyes said. “They’re looking at us like, ‘I’m gonna be there one day.’ It’s surreal, like we’re in a movie. It’s horrible.”

Valdez said his last interaction with Ramos was about two hours before the shooting, when they messaged on Instagram’s Stories feature. Valdez had re-shared a meme that said “WHY TF IS SCHOOL STILL OPEN.”

According to a screenshot of their exchange, Ramos responded: “Facts” and “That’s good tho right?” Then Valdez replied: “Idek [I don’t even know] I don’t even go to school lmao.”

Ramos never responded to or opened that text message, Valdez said.

Just a month or two ago, Garcia said, he called Ramos to check in on him.

But Ramos said he was going hunting with his uncle and didn’t have time to talk. He hung up. Garcia later saw the photos of large guns that Ramos had posted online and wondered whether that was what they were for — going hunting, or to the shooting range with his uncle.

On Tuesday, Garcia was in algebra class in San Antonio when he started receiving a slew of texts with the news of what had happened in Uvalde. He didn’t believe it at first. He opened his phone’s browser and Googled the shooting and saw Ramos’s name.

“I couldn’t even think, I couldn’t even talk to anyone. I just walked out of class, really upset, you know, bawling my eyes out,” Garcia said. “Because I never expected him to hurt people.”

“I think he needed mental help. And more closure with his family. And love.”

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

15 hours ago, deadshank said:

All of my Uvalde folks, save one who is a sheriff’s deputy, have reported in with safe youngsters.  I’m sure the deputy is busy right now and will / may get back to me.  His kids go to the elementary school where it happened.   

One of my Uvalde friends has a friend of his, whom i don’t know, whose wife was shot.   I don’t know if it is the grandmother that was killed or the teacher that was transported to the SA area hospital.   

Plenty of awful to go around for everyone in a small town.  

The early reports were confusing for everyone.  As just conveyed to me, the wife of my friend's friend was, in fact, Eva Mireles.

My friend in Uvalde, a jovial soul with superior bullshit and a quick laugh, is devastated and broken for his friends there in Uvalde and the town itself.

I have a feeling he may show up at our camp this weekend to decompress.

• Hook 'Em 2

Most of the elementary schools there are designed like motels. Most classroom doors open directly to the outside. 

My daughters elem was like that. But they had a big fence that only allowed access through the office.

Probably wouldn’t have been too hard to show up with a ladder for the fence.

1 hour ago, clapclapclap said:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/texas-elementary-school-reports-active-shooter-campus/story?id=84940951

...Sources said that the gunman first shot his grandmother at a separate scene. Authorities initially said the grandmother was killed but later said she was in critical condition...

...The suspect was immediately engaged outside the building as he approached the school by a Uvalde Independent School District police officer, who was shot by the suspect, the sources said.

After that, the suspect entered the school, barricaded himself in a classroom and allegedly opened fire, killing 18 students, who were mainly third- and fourth-graders, as well as one teacher, the sources said.

There, he traded gunfire with Uvalde ISD officer and Border Patrol Tactical Unit agents, a number of whom have children who attend the school, according to the sources. The Border Patrol agents responded to a law enforcement request for assistance.

Investigators are going through ballistics to determine who fired the shot that killed the suspect.

A fourth-grade student who was inside the school at the time described the horror of the shooting in an interview with ABC News. He said the students heard banging on a window and then the teacher saw the shooter.

"She said, 'Oh, my God, there's a there's a gun.' And then she she said it was like a big one like that a big gun -- she said, hurry up and get on the floor," the student recounted. "We just hear all kinds of gunshots going off, like nonstop, like constantly gunshots. And then we're over here all scared. What -- on the ground fearing for our lives..."

I'm curious to know more about the timeline of these events which I'm sure will come out. My uneducated guess is that the murders already occurred before the police and BP arrived. Then they traded gun fire with the shooter.   From a map search, a BP office is 3-4 miles from the school, so they could get their relatively quickly, assuming the tactical unit was that facility.

15 minutes ago, Immaculate Vibes said:

Most of the elementary schools there are designed like motels. Most classroom doors open directly to the outside. 

Yep. Here the google map view of this school. Each of these buildings must have at least 2 entry/exit points not counting windows that could be turned into an entry point. It must be a challenge to simultaneously protect students from a potential intruder but also protect them from the more realistic situation of needing to escape a fire (and escape from a shooter.) 

I doubt there is a perfect answer when you're constrained by budgets.

Elem - Copy.JPG