2022 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

8 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Why no discussion of the regression of many of our pitchers under this coaching staff?

Go ahead. I don't really understand how or why it is happening.

And I guess we would need to review everything that has happened since 2017. 

12 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Why no discussion of the regression of many of our pitchers under this coaching staff?

Because there has been equal amount of progression from several other guys. We aren’t manufacturing robots here. Think they are only giving Pete and Lucas the strike throwing juice for fun?

6 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Because it works both ways. They developed Lucas Gordon into a damn good #2 pretty much overnight. They developed Marcus Olivarez into a reliable option this year after he had a 5 ERA at Lamar. They developed Aaron Nixon into a freshman all American last year after he spent a lot of time as a position player his senior of high school. They developed Tristan Stevens into a damn good pitcher in 2021 after he was an okay reliever his first few years here. They turned Bryce Elder into a dominant #1 seemingly overnight after he was a jag as a freshman.

I am not saying the coaching gets a pass. There are a lot of things they could have done better. But at some point a player has to perform. The coaches didn’t tell Aaron Nixon to lose every ounce of fastball command he has. They didn’t tell Jared Southard to fall behind 2-0 to every batter he faces. They didn’t tell Tristan Stevens to lose command of his sinker the first 3 months of the season. Baseball is about 70% mental at this level. The guys who can figure it out between the ears succeed. Unfortunately when adversity struck a handful of guys on this team for the first time, they haven’t responded. Maybe that’s on the coaches, but this is a players game.

• Hook 'Em 2

34 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Because it works both ways. They developed Lucas Gordon into a damn good #2 pretty much overnight. They developed Marcus Olivarez into a reliable option this year after he had a 5 ERA at Lamar. They developed Aaron Nixon into a freshman all American last year after he spent a lot of time as a position player his senior of high school. They developed Tristan Stevens into a damn good pitcher in 2021 after he was an okay reliever his first few years here. They turned Bryce Elder into a dominant #1 seemingly overnight after he was a jag as a freshman.

I am not saying the coaching gets a pass. There are a lot of things they could have done better. But at some point a player has to perform. The coaches didn’t tell Aaron Nixon to lose every ounce of fastball command he has. They didn’t tell Jared Southard to fall behind 2-0 to every batter he faces. They didn’t tell Tristan Stevens to lose command of his sinker the first 3 months of the season. Baseball is about 70% mental at this level. The guys who can figure it out between the ears succeed. Unfortunately when adversity struck a handful of guys on this team for the first time, they haven’t responded. Maybe that’s on the coaches, but this is a players game.

I believe, like you stated, that pitching is about 70% mental….and I’d hopefully expect that a good pitching coach, develops this aspect as much or more than the physical part.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

I believe, like you stated, that pitching is about 70% mental….and I’d hopefully expect that a good pitching coach, develops this aspect as much or more than the physical part.

I do know that Skip Johnson was big on the mental aspect of pitching but he did not do a good job of physically developing arms his last few years in Austin (also refused to embrace analytics and the way pitching is moving with spin rate, etc.). It’s why I wasn’t surprised his first 5 years in Norman went pretty poorly but maybe he made some adjustments over the past year.

Look, Sean Allen is about to complete his 2nd full season as pitching coach but Pierce is also a pitching guy and helps heavily on that side. They’ve developed their fair share of arms and have also failed to develop their fair share of arms. I don’t think the hit or miss rate is anything much different than you see in most programs around the country. When you have 11.7 scholarships and the elite of the elite are heading straight to pro ball, you have to take some risks and some guys just aren’t going to ever put it together. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Hey I didn't get to see much of the game and ain't no way I'm gonna look through this whole thread for it, but what was the deal with the ump getting in the middle of Pierce talking on the mound for, like, ever? Is that when blue ran him? Did Pierce call him a cocksucker?

Just now, Valmy77 said:

It matters. Winning that would have been great. Losing it sucked. Congrats.

Now go to Florida and have a good time.

I actually don’t hate you guys.  It’s sad.  But too much friends and family that went there.  I still gotta call em like I see em.  OU sucks