2022 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

8 minutes ago, ryskey said:

RPI is bizarre.  For all 3 of the other Big 12 tournament games, there is only downside for our RPI.  Regardless of who wins, we get (slightly) negative RPI points.  

You sure? I mean a top 50 or top 100 win still has to do us a little good right?

I don't understand how this system works clearly.

TCU is a perfect example of why a conference title isn’t necessarily the greatest barometer for determining postseason success. The regular season title is a nice achievement to have, hardware along the way, but they have little to no chance of making noise in the postseason.

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

Ok so I missed everything after the Hodo bunt that scored Faltine because my kid was graduating...from elementary school. But I am watching it now. Hope we win.

Quite the accomplishment! I’d recommend going to middle school. Job options out there for an 11 year old aren’t great unless you’re overseas 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

I will say, I am still leery that the committee is going to put a lot of stock into the conference tournaments, which worries me. We were on the opposite end of things in 2018 when we thought we needed to win or two to solidify ourselves as a host, went 0-2 and still hosted without much a of a sweat. Now, I can’t remember what our RPI was that year so maybe that played a role.

It certainly seems like in previous seasons that decisions were made by the committee before the conference tournaments even started.

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Fletch said:

Quite the accomplishment! I’d recommend going to middle school. Job options out there for an 11 year old aren’t great unless you’re overseas 

I mean I cannot give him too much crap since I also had a 5th graduation back in 1988 but it does get a little ridiculous. I have been to a pre-K, a Kindergarten, and now a 5th grade graduation. By the time he graduates from High School it will be a habit.

10 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

No way there are 16 teams in the country better than Texas.

Not even close.

There’s not. If stevens and Nixon didn’t shit the bed this year, we win the conference and we’re a guaranteed top 8 seed. Then of course that whole Witt thing….

Just now, Valmy77 said:

You sure? I mean a top 50 or top 100 win still has to do us a little good right?

Unless I'm reading this wrong.

TCU wins/Baylor loses = -0.7 points

TCU loses/Baylor wins = -0.7 points

Tech wins/KSU loses = -0.6 points

Tech loses/KSU wins = -0.8 points

WVU wins/OU loses = -1.1 points

WVU loses/OU wins = -1.3 points

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/team-impact?team=Texas

None of these move us enough to really matter or waste time complaining about since it'll happen to every team this weekend.  It's just bizarre.

As a reference, winning today gave us +22 points. 

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

When you have played two teams that are playing each other the result can be a net negative. 

For example if Oklahoma wins they gain 1.9 points and West Virginia loses 3.1 points. If West Virginia wins they gain 1.8 and Oklahoma loses 3.2

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I will say, I am still leery that the committee is going to put a lot of stock into the conference tournaments, which worries me. We were on the opposite end of things in 2018 when we thought we needed to win or two to solidify ourselves as a host, went 0-2 and still hosted without much a of a sweat. Now, I can’t remember what our RPI was that year so maybe that played a role.

It certainly seems like in previous seasons that decisions were made by the committee before the conference tournaments even started.

They won't put much stock into the conference tournament but they will RPI. Winning in the conference tournament will help the RPI. 

That's what matters. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I mean I cannot give him too much crap since I also had a 5th graduation back in 1988 but it does get a little ridiculous. I have been to a pre-K, a Kindergarten, and now a 5th grade graduation. By the time he graduates from High School it will be a habit.

Yeah so did I haha oddly I don’t remember having one in middle school. I know I was at my high school graduation but remembering it on the other hand…..doubt the blunt my friend and I torched before going to the Erwin center had anything to do with it. 

Back on topic. This team is like bizzaro 2014. 14 had elite ass pitching top to bottom while our lineup consisted of Mark Payton and a bunch of talented dudes being horribly under coached at the plate. Now we have a stacked lineup from top to bottom and Campbell is a good option off the bench. Fuck it. After 80 years of elite pitching and defense, let’s give this gorilla ball shit a try 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They won't put much stock into the conference tournament but they will RPI. Winning in the conference tournament will help the RPI. 

That's what matters. 

I hope you are right. If RPI is what truly matters then we should be hosting ahead of TCU and OSU after today.

8 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Back on topic. This team is like bizzaro 2014. 14 had elite ass pitching top to bottom while our lineup consisted of Mark Payton and a bunch of talented dudes being horribly under coached at the plate. Now we have a stacked lineup from top to bottom and Campbell is a good option off the bench. Fuck it. After 80 years of elite pitching and defense, let’s give this gorilla ball shit a try 

Yeah no shit. 2011 also was exactly that way. More so even.

I will take a different team. But if this club can just find a third starter and not get stuck in a losers bracket...man I like our chances.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

Beating TCU or Baylor would likely move us to #13 in the RPI and a loss would move us back to 20 or so. 

Beating TCU/Baylor then Tech (or whoever comes out of that side of the bracket) would move us to around 10.  

9-24 are all really clustered together so there's going to be a ton of movement this week.

But all of that assumes everyone else stays flat.  I wish they had a simulator.  Actually no I don't because I would waste a lot of time.

Edited by ryskey
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah no shit. 2011 also was exactly that way. More so even.

I will take a different team. But if this club can just find a third starter and not get stuck in a losers bracket...man I like our chances.

Morehouse for 4-6 then hand it over to stevens or Harrison. Problem solved. Maybe even let Nixon steal 3-6 outs in the 5th-7th 

9 minutes ago, WBT said:

You might want to go ahead and step on 2nd there chief.  If the runner hits the plate before you touch the bag, the run counts.

I was watching with the sound off but apparently the run did score.  For those that weren't watching, runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out and TCU flies it to medium LF.  For some reason the runner on 2nd takes off running; the runner on 3rd tags.  The LF catches and sees the runner off of 2nd and sort of lobs it in.  The 2B catches on a hop and slowly walks over to touch the bag.  Not much urgency from either the LF or 2B and the run scored before the 3rd out was recorded.  I've always kind of thought that doubling another runner off should act as a force and negate the run but that's not how Doubleday drew it up.

Edited by WBT

8 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I’m curious as to how many saves Nixon blew in the 9th this year. Any idea?

Games he entered in the 8th or 9th inning where we had a lead and ended up losing: Friday at Tech, Saturday at Tech, Saturday at OU. 

He was basically removed from the closers role after OU although he did appear in a few more high leverage spots simply out of necessity.

I’d rather cut my balls of with a rusty dull butter knife than research that. So I’ll put the over/under at 7

I don’t know the answer to that question. In the 9th, I’d put it at 3 or under. Now throw in some 7ths and 8ths, you’ll probably get your 7.

21 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

I don’t know the answer to that question. In the 9th, I’d put it at 3 or under. Now throw in some 7ths and 8ths, you’ll probably get your 7.

Yeah that’s what I was considering the basis for this. “How many games did Nixon directly cost it” and it’s probably in that 7-9 range. @Hookem2147 You sick fuck don’t you go through game by game and come back with some baseball penthouse write up equivalent of cock and ball torture 

• Haha 1

Games he entered in the 8th or 9th inning where we had a lead and ended up losing: Friday at Tech, Saturday at Tech, Saturday at OU. 

He was basically removed from the closers role after OU although he did appear in a few more high leverage spots simply out of necessity.

So I decided to quickly do Fletch’s research for him.

Nixon has not blown many 9th inning saves, which was sorta my point.

We were up 1-0 on OU in the 7th. Two on, 1 out when he entered. The play by play shows that Nixon came on in the 8th with the game tied on Friday against Tech. Lost in the 10th. Saturday we were going to the 10th when he came in with a 1 run lead. He left the game tied but bases loaded.

We had more consistent setup men last year. Nixon was generally a one inning guy. I’d guess that it was almost never that he’d enter in the 7th. I’m not certain he couldn’t be that one inning guy this year if the setup guys were consistent in the 7th and 8th.

Ultimately, we need him productive.
  • Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, WBT said:

I was watching with the sound off but apparently the run did score.  For those that weren't watching, runners on 2nd and 3rd and 1 out and TCU flies it to medium LF.  For some reason the runner on 2nd takes off running; the runner on 3rd tags.  The LF catches and sees the runner off of 2nd and sort of lobs it in.  The 2B catches on a hop and slowly walks over to touch the bag.  Not much urgency from either the LF or 2B and the run scored before the 3rd out was recorded.  I've always kind of thought that doubling another runner off should act as a force and negate the run but that's not how Doubleday drew it up.

Neither the LF nor 2B knew the rule. Dumb. 

Yeah that’s what I was considering the basis for this. “How many games did Nixon directly cost it” and it’s probably in that 7-9 range. [mention=3023]Hookem2147[/mention] You sick fuck don’t you go through game by game and come back with some baseball penthouse write up equivalent of cock and ball torture 

Sorry.

17 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

So I decided to quickly do Fletch’s research for him.

Nixon has not blown many 9th inning saves, which was sorta my point.

We were up 1-0 on OU in the 7th. Two on, 1 out when he entered. The play by play shows that Nixon came on in the 8th with the game tied on Friday against Tech. Lost in the 10th. Saturday we were going to the 10th when he came in with a 1 run lead. He left the game tied but bases loaded.

We had more consistent setup men last year. Nixon was generally a one inning guy. I’d guess that it was almost never that he’d enter in the 7th. I’m not certain he couldn’t be that one inning guy this year if the setup guys were consistent in the 7th and 8th.

Ultimately, we need him productive.

Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

3 hours ago, brojangles2 said:

These catch phrases have cracked me up actually. Not bc they’re good, but I think he’s tossing dumb ones out there on purpose and I appreciate it. It’s been funny. 

Like calling home plate "the candy dish?"

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Auburn is knocked out in the first round of the SEC tournament. D1baseball had them projected as the 10th overall seed but had them ranked in the 20's this past week. We will see how much their RPI falls (was top 10 heading into the game).

Looks like the RPI fell to 11. They are probably still going to host but doesn't hurt that they went 1 and done.

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Looks like the RPI fell to 11. They are probably still going to host but doesn't hurt that they went 1 and done.

The committee owes us for 2017. Sending us out to Long Beach was horse shit. Let us host and pair us up with south bend plz 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

The committee owes us for 2017. Sending us out to Long Beach was horse shit. Let us host and pair us up with south bend plz 

The committee sending us out to the site of any top 12 seed would be horse shit. Also, I don't care that they love the rivalry angle with us and A&M, a borderline national seed and team who is on the verge of hosting should never be paired with each other.

• Hook 'Em 2