2022 Big 12 Tournament Thread

Horny Bull

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Because Texas lost 3 games at home. 

On a neutral field, these games now have more value against quality opponents. 

The issue for Texas coming into this weekend wasn’t wins it was that they were sitting outside the top 20 of RPI. The committee isn’t going to exclude Texas from hosting if they finish 12-14 in RRI. 

Eh it doesn't matter now. We are only getting TCU and OSU from here to the title game.

Just now, Horny Bull said:

Then 2005 happened. 

That was possible the sweetest non-championship game baseball thing ever. Those fuckers. And doing it the way we did it. 

Beating that idiot coaching ASU with that huge comeback and then the homers in the 2009 series a close second.

22 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Then 2005 happened. 

21 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

That was possible the sweetest non-championship game baseball thing ever. Those fuckers. And doing it the way we did it. 

Beating that idiot coaching ASU with that huge comeback and then the homers in the 2009 series a close second.

image.jpeg.af95b36877fe94e65c5d89b96740dad5.jpeg

3 minutes ago, ocugolf said:

Texas and OSU the only Big 12 teams guaranteed to make regionals?  Looks like OU, TCU, and Tech are all on the RPI bubble

Big 12 will get 6 teams in. OSU, TCU and Texas are obviously in and fighting for 1 seeds.

OU and Tech will be 2 seeds somewhere. WVU will be a 3 seed somewhere.

Edited by Hookem2147

TCU is a weird one because their RPI is 32 but they won the #3 RPI conference in the country. Normally, the team that wins the #3 RPI conference is a lock to host. 

D1 baseball's argument is that TCU will get a host because they won the Big 12. I'm not sure it's a great argument because only 2 games separated the top 6 teams in the Big 12. Historically, it's true though that the conference champion of a top 3 RPI conference hosts but normally those teams have a better RPI. 

Difference between RPI #10 and RPI #24 is a mere 57 RPI points.  Really clustered together.  Any of these teams can make that up with just 2 quality wins.

We are currently at #15.  But to maintain that, we'll need to go 2-2 at worst.  Got a good idea of how RPI points are awarded, so here goes my guesses for outcomes the rest of the way:

0-2: RPI #25

1-2: RPI #21

2-2: RPI #15

3-2: RPI #11

3-1: RPI #9

4-1: RPI #8

3-0: RPI #8

4-0: RPI #7

Go 1-2 or 0-2 the rest of the way, it's a 2 seed.

Win the tournament and RPI will be top 8, might not be enough to host a super though.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hookem2147 said:

When you think about our pitching depth and making sure we still have guys standing for a regional next week, I would really prefer to not play 5 more games over the next 4 days. Let's get this win today and enjoy the off day tomorrow.

Regionals start a week from Friday right? This tournament will be done this weekend. Plenty of time to rest up even if we do play a lot of games.

But rather not do any more losing this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Regionals start a week from Friday right? This tournament will be done this weekend. Plenty of time to rest up even if we do play a lot of games.

But rather not do any more losing this year.

Yeah, a week from tomorrow they start. I'm not worried about guys getting rest. I guess to me it's more about if we get into a situation where we have to play 4 games in 3 days we are going to have to put guys in roles they aren't used to (relievers starting games, guys throwing back to back days who normally don't) and it just throws off routines a little bit heading into next week.

So ummmmm ESPNU is replaying our softball game against Washington instead of showing live big 12 tournament…….why? I’m a tad bit fucked at the moment. WiFi got fucked up the other night so ESPN+ from my ps5 or my chromecast isn’t an option. Thank Christ ESPNU is showing our game today 

2 minutes ago, Fletch said:

So ummmmm ESPNU is replaying our softball game against Washington instead of showing live big 12 tournament…….why? I’m a tad bit fucked at the moment. WiFi got fucked up the other night so ESPN+ from my ps5 or my chromecast isn’t an option. Thank Christ ESPNU is showing our game today 

It is just ESPN doing ESPN things. 

• Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, a week from tomorrow they start. I'm not worried about guys getting rest. I guess to me it's more about if we get into a situation where we have to play 4 games in 3 days we are going to have to put guys in roles they aren't used to (relievers starting games, guys throwing back to back days who normally don't) and it just throws off routines a little bit heading into next week.

Oh yeah it is going to be a shit show. We will have to win 18-15 or something.

Hope it won't come to that and we just win four straight.

11 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Why do you hate women?

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ryskey said:

Difference between RPI #10 and RPI #24 is a mere 57 RPI points.  Really clustered together.  Any of these teams can make that up with just 2 quality wins.

We are currently at #15.  But to maintain that, we'll need to go 2-2 at worst.  Got a good idea of how RPI points are awarded, so here goes my guesses for outcomes the rest of the way:

0-2: RPI #25

1-2: RPI #21

2-2: RPI #15

3-2: RPI #11

3-1: RPI #9

4-1: RPI #8

3-0: RPI #8

4-0: RPI #7

Go 1-2 or 0-2 the rest of the way, it's a 2 seed.

Win the tournament and RPI will be top 8, might not be enough to host a super though.  

I don't agree that going 1-2 the rest of the way will have Texas at #21 in RPI. Oklahoma State, for example, started the week #18 in RPI and after a loss to Texas/win Baylor they're still at #18 in RPI. 

Any win the rest of the way is going to be a better win than Baylor and a similar caliber loss as Texas. 

This is a guess but this is how I see it based on the rest of the way

0-2: 2 seed

1-2: 40% chance to get a 1 seed but probably a 2 seed 

2-2 or better is getting Texas a 1 seed. 

Ryskey and I have very similar thoughts outside of the fact I think a 1-2 finish has a decent shot at getting a 1 seed. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

1 hour ago, Fletch said:

1 hour ago, Valmy77 said:

It is just ESPN doing ESPN things. 

Because the Big 12 media deal blows chunks. 

• Hook 'Em 1

WVU down 8-4 in the 9th but runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs.  Pitching change for the purple cats.  We're at 3:30 now and with a 30 min break between games, ours is going to be delayed at least a little bit.

6 minutes ago, WBT said:

WVU down 8-4 in the 9th but runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs.  Pitching change for the purple cats.  We're at 3:30 now and with a 30 min break between games, ours is going to be delayed at least a little bit.

Do we have a rooting interest here rpi wise? Or does it not make a shit after we beat tcu? 

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Do we have a rooting interest here rpi wise? Or does it not make a shit after we beat tcu? 

Seems pretty unlikely either of these teams would make the championship game.  Well, even more unlikely for WVU now.

Oh, nm you meant rpi impact from having already played them.  That I don't know.

Edited by WBT

12 minutes ago, WBT said:

Seems pretty unlikely either of these teams would make the championship game.  Well, even more unlikely for WVU now.

Oh, nm you meant rpi impact from having already played them.  That I don't know.

Well like a responsible adult I’m on my second blunt in the last hour so the whole “would West Virginia winning be good cause we beat them? Or does k state winning make our loss better? What’s the meaning to all of this? Is this big 12 tournament just a simulation?” kicked in 

Edited by Fletch
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Fletch said:

Well like a responsible adult I’m on my second blunt in the last hour so the whole “would West Virginia winning be good cause we beat them? Or does k state winning make our loss better? What’s the meaning to all of this? Is this big 12 tournament just a simulation?” kicked in 

1494cbca-9404-4722-8053-c8d5c5450f2c_tex

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Native Horn said:

ESPNU better switch away from the fucking mascot show at 4:15.

It is just filler. No doubt they will.

Though I just saw Barry Switzer and just puked like DKR after the 1976 tie.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1

They should show that shitty little dog almost getting obliterated by Bevo. Saw that happen about 40 yards away from me. Was beautiful. Bevo set the tone. Say aggy, when we play for the first time in whatever years, wanna have Bevo and Reveille meet at midfield? Come onnnnn it’ll be fun!!! Let Bevo show y’all’s worthless asses who’s still and always has been boss