Downtown Projects

Longhorn Al

Starting the thread. This is the place for news of construction, plans, renderings, insider information, rumors, hearsay, scuttlebutt, and complaining about how old Austin was better.

I'll compile something for current projects in the coming days.

Under Construction

The Independent

58 fl - 690 ft

Construction Cam: https://www.workzonecam.com/projects/balfourbeatty7/theindependent/workzonecam

Austin

from Urbannizer (SSP)

30wl0rn.jpg

from AusTexDevelopment (SSP)

Block 71

36 fl - 542 ft

1z18n87.jpg

2vchwdk.jpg

2sb4ioo.jpg

1y27o1.jpg

259l3bt.jpg

ayuc8k.jpg

Marriott Hotel at Cesar Chavez

31 fl - 386 ft

2hf1hsi.jpg

2dheoo8.jpg

Fifth & West

39 fl - 459 ft

austin%205th%20and%20West.jpg

70 Rainey

33 fl - 419 ft

vg1vdh.jpg

New%252070%2520Rainey.png&key=e6407a8ce8

Austin Proper

32 fl - 397 ft

2lbj382.jpg

5ogu88.jpg

from AusTexDevelopment (SSP)

40824628125_0d6750e3ed_b.jpg

from Urbannizer (SSP)

Third+Shoal

29 fl - 389 ft

Construction Cam: https://app.oxblue.com/open/DPR/cielo

c04-night.jpg

Hotel ZaZa & Apartments

24 fl - 305 ft

2r27x2v.jpg

28lguag.jpg

from CovairKeith (SSP)

Homewood Suites at East Avenue

17 fl - 184 ft

41998412992_ea57649616_b.jpg

Edited by Longhorn Al
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Following the waterfront is pretty common.

The view of downtown from the MoPac bridge over LB Lake is kind of startling, da or night - packing the high rises all together from that angle.

Same from the East:

db5rfo7xmop01.jpg

Edited by Armybrat

• 4 weeks later...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some discussion on Block 185 - the last lot of the Green Water Treatment Plant development on the riverfront.

Some info was added to the site plan this morning. It's 35-stories, 463' to "finished floor elevation" and 592' "building height". It must have a substantial crown/spire.

711K+ sq ft office
8K+ retail

29fb1wn.png

427MM on SSP:

It's a starchitect and from what I hear we're all going to love it!

• Like 1

It would certainly seem that downtown Austin is moving from Congress 1st-8th to the SW corner of the grid, with even some more spillover beyond that.  Where the hell are we gonna put the tourist traps?  

Are there any rumblings about the BBVA Compass 1/4 block at 6th & Guadalupe?  321 W 6th.  Just wondering. Perfect spot for a point tower and it's unencumbered by a CVC.

Also, anything new on the half block north of IBC Bank along 6th across from Little Woodrow's?  When IBC was built, I remember reading that something would eventually get built there.  It also does not have a CVC.

6th & Guadalupe could be an amazing intersection.  600 Guadalupe (848'), something very big on the post office block, the potential point tower I just mentioned.  The other corner of the intersection is the 300 W 6th tower (328').

29 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

The Word on the Street at 600 Guadalupe, Austin’s Tallest Tower Plan

600_guad_top_render.jpg

600_guadalupe_corner_sixth_san_antonio_4

https://austin.towers.net/the-word-on-the-street-at-600-guadalupe-austins-tallest-tower-plan/

But one structure in the district, the 1858 James T. Brown House, actually sits on the northeast corner of the Sixth and Guadalupe Street block — so the new building’s got to play nice, and in this case that means taking a bite out of its parking podium to make room:

That is where they'll put the hot tub.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, DalTxHornFan said:

It was called St. Michaels when I was a Longhorn "scholar".  Great pitchers of margaritas!

Interested in hearing more about this. I started at UT in 91, knew it was always Dog and Duck. Finally found that it opened in 1990. Google isn’t finding anything about St Michaels. Or they are way deep in search results.

10 minutes ago, skipperj said:

Interested in hearing more about this. I started at UT in 91, knew it was always Dog and Duck. Finally found that it opened in 1990. Google isn’t finding anything about St Michaels. Or they are way deep in search results.

Late 70's.  Popular place.  Blue Parrot and Casablanca were just around the corner.  Good times.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

On 7/30/2018 at 6:43 PM, Dbeasy said:

Can this city really support all these tower projects? There is no mass transit system.

I think the condo market is slowing down a lot but there is a huge demand for office space. I think that's going to dominate the towers in the next 5 years.

19 hours ago, Pasken said:

I think the condo market is slowing down a lot but there is a huge demand for office space. I think that's going to dominate the towers in the next 5 years.

And the job growth downtown, of high paying jobs in those offices, will continue to support the condos and apartments because...as you mentioned the lack of transport options. 

That becomes a moot point when you can walk, bike or ride a scooter/uber/autonomous dillo to your office, grocery store, bars and restaurants in under 10 minutes. 

The office towers are a bigger problem as they bring in more drivers to put more strain on the infrastructure, as most won't live downtown. 

loonytoony on SSP re: Block 185

Sooooo I may or may not have seen a render on this recently. There is a starchitect involved... That's all that can be shared for now. Let's just say though that if the render turns out accurate, IMO everyone will be well pleased with the result.

Any of our insiders care to share with me via PM?

The next big project on the horizon?

Railyard Condos for sale: https://www.mystatesman.com/business/railyard-condo-project-downtown-austin-hits-the-market/2xIiKFpIcoW4h5oal2t09J/

No CVC. Butts up to the planned convention center expansion.  Two half-blocks.

Perry Lorenz is quoted as saying he's heard they received offers over $1000/sq ft for the land.